none
SharePoint 2013 Search Service Not Crawling SSL (https) web application RRS feed

  • Question

  • Dears,

    I am facing this issue for 4 days now and I am not able to find a solution to it. The details of the problem is as follows:

    The environment is consist of 9 servers:

    2 front-end servers, 2 application servers, 2 database servers, 2 indexing servers and a web apps server.

    There is not load balancing between any of the servers.

    The search crawling is working fine with normal HTTP web applications but when it comes to HTTPS web applications, the following error shows in the crawl log:

    Search crawl log Error: "Access is denied. Verify that either the Default Content Access Account has access to this repository, or add a crawl rule to crawl this repository. If the repository being crawled is a SharePoint repository, verify that the account you are using has "Full Read" permissions on the SharePoint Web Application being crawled."

    I have done all the configuration necessary for search, disable the LoopBackCheck, set a multi-string value, gave permission for search service account in web application (Full control), in search service application (full control), in user profile service (full control).

    I have also added a crawl rule to use the certificate when crawling. In IIS the binding has 2 values, one for the http and the other one is for the https with a certificate in all servers. The certificate is configured in the applications and front-end servers only.

    In AAM (Alternative Access Mapping), the default zone is for the original web application (ex. http://abc:200) for both Internal and Public URLs, and a new INTRANET zone was added with (https://exampel.test.company.com) was added as the Internal and Public URLs.

    I am really in need for help with this problem and I will appreciate any inputs that will guide me into the right way.

    Thanks in advance for your support...


    Mark as answer if it was an answer for you question.. Please don't hesitate to ask for any further help..

    Saturday, September 24, 2016 4:15 PM

Answers

All replies

  • Hi Amer,

    Can you cross verify by going to  SQL server and grant the content access account the db_reader role on all content databases for your https site’s content database. This should be done by default, but if the order of steps were missed or if something else went wrong it may not be , you can also check this by Can you login to the site, using the Crawl Account, and see the content if you have access set

    http://amsharingpoints.blogspot.com/2013/11/start-search-service-application-crawl.html

    Navigate to the user profile Select the user profile in the top ribbon click on the administrator there we able to see the screen below.

    Add the user and check the “Retrieve People Data for Search Crawlers” as shown below.


    KRISHANA KUMAR

    SharePoint Architect

    Mosstechnet-kk.com

     

    Please click "Mark As Answer" if this post solves your problem or "Vote As Helpful" if it was useful

    Saturday, September 24, 2016 5:56 PM
  • Hi Krishana,

    I have checked the DB permissions and the account has all the necessary permissions and more. For the login, i have also tried to login with the account and I was able to do it. For user profile services, as I said, the account have full control and the rest of the permissions shown in your image.

    I have tried and configured all what you said but still the crawling is failing with the same error.


    Mark as answer if it was an answer for you question.. Please don't hesitate to ask for any further help..

    Saturday, September 24, 2016 9:45 PM
  • Hi Amer,

    By default, if we configure AAM for a web application, to crawl the web application, we need to crawl the default zone rather than a non-default zone.

    As you have configured AAM for your web application, please set the HTTPS URL to the default zone of your web application, then crawl the HTTPS web address again, compare the result.

    Best Practices for Crawling:

    https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dn535606(v=office.15).aspx#BKMK_CrawlDefaultZone

    Problems Crawling the non-Default zone:

    https://blogs.msdn.microsoft.com/sharepoint_strategery/2014/07/08/problems-crawling-the-non-default-zone-explained/

    Thanks,

    Wendy


    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com

    Monday, September 26, 2016 7:19 AM
    Moderator
  • Hi,

    I am checking to see how things are going there on this issue.

    Thanks,

    Wendy


    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com

    Thursday, September 29, 2016 9:45 AM
    Moderator
  • Just wanted to say thanks - the links in Wendys post look to be most helpful reading to be done, but with the steps mentioned I was able to fix my search results not appearing from my already crawled non-default zone simply by making it the default zone in AAM settings. which would lead me to believe if I crawl the default in the future I'll have no worries.

    Cheers,

    Friday, December 30, 2016 2:14 AM