none
Some recipients receiving attachments as winmail.dat RRS feed

• Question

• I have a user who has reported that some of the emails they are sending with attachments, usually PDFs, are arriving with the attachments converted to winmail.dat. My user has a mailbox on the Office365 platform and they are running Outlook 365 version 16.0.11901.20218 on Windows 10 Pro 10.0.17134.

As an example, I had the problem user send an email to a colleague, with a PDF attachment, one to his work email address so also on the Office365 platform, and one to his personal gmail address. When he views both emails on his iPhone, the work email arrives with the PDF intact and the personal email has a winmail.dat file attached.

When I ask another user to carry out the same test, running Outlook 16.0.11901.20176 on Microsoft Windows 10 Pro 10.0.17134 both emails arrive with a PDF attachment.

The user has used the following steps to successfully work around the problem but they have to do this for every problem recipient.

1. Make sure the recipient is not in your Outlook Contacts.
    2. Open an email from the recipient or create a new email and insert his/her email address.
    3. Right-click on the email address and select Outlook Properties.
    4. Now, click the drop-down menu next to Internet format and set it to Send Plain Text only. Hit Ok to confirm.

Is there a permanent solution that will allow me to send Plain Text emails only to specific recipients?

Many thanks

David

Thursday, August 22, 2019 3:07 PM

All replies

• Hi David,

Can this problem be reproduced on your web mail? Send and receive on the web mail.

In this situation, please make sure the sender has selected the options below via File > Options > Mail.

1. Compose messages in HTML or Plain Text format.
    2. Select the "When sending messages in Rich Text format to Internet recipients" dropdown arrow and choose either Convert to HTML format or Convert to Plain Text format.

>> Is there a permanent solution that will allow me to send Plain Text emails only to specific recipients?

According to my research, I'm afraid that there is not a automatic method to send Plain Text emails only to specific recipients. If you'd like to send Plain Text emails, just select Plain Test when you are composing a message.

Hope this can be helpful.

Regards,

Aidan Wang

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Friday, August 23, 2019 6:57 AM
  • Hi David,

Have you got the issue fixed?

I'm writing to see if the reply above is helpful to you. If yes, would you mind helping mark the reply as answer? So that others who might have a similar question can benefit from your thread? Thanks for your understanding and support.

Regards,

Aidan Wang

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Monday, August 26, 2019 9:16 AM