none
.\Create-PublicFolderMailboxesForMigration.ps1 Fails to Create the Public Folders RRS feed

• Question

• Migrating PFs from 2010 to 2013. I have run through all the prerequisite steps and I am now on the .\Create-PublicFolderMailboxesForMigration.ps1 piece. When I run it and specify the correct .csv file, it fails to actually create the public folders.

A positional parameter cannot be found that accepts argument 'PFMailbox1'.
        + CategoryInfo          : InvalidArgument: (:) [New-Mailbox], ParameterBindingException
        + FullyQualifiedErrorId : PositionalParameterNotFound,New-Mailbox
        + PSComputerName        : server.domain.local

A positional parameter cannot be found that accepts argument 'PFMailbox2'.
        + CategoryInfo          : InvalidArgument: (:) [New-Mailbox], ParameterBindingException

A positional parameter cannot be found that accepts argument 'PFMailbox3'.

A positional parameter cannot be found that accepts argument 'PFMailbox4'.

A positional parameter cannot be found that accepts argument 'PFMailbox5'.

A positional parameter cannot be found that accepts argument 'PFMailbox6'.

Total mailboxes created: 6. Total mailboxes updated: 0. Total serving hierarchy: 1.
    Here is a list of Public Folder mailboxes created:

Name       IsServingHierarchy IsMigrationTarget
    ----       ------------------ -----------------
    PFMailbox1              False              True
    PFMailbox2               True              True
    PFMailbox3              False              True
    PFMailbox4              False              True
    PFMailbox5              False              True
    PFMailbox6              False              True

they do not exist however.

Wednesday, September 14, 2016 5:24 PM

Answers

• Well, I got to the bottom of this. Someone configured an AD Split Permissions model and this means that our Exchange Admin accounts do not have the correct permissions.

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dd638106(v=exchg.150).aspx

So, does anyone have any knowledge of putting this back to a regular or 'Shared Permissions' model?

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dd638146(v=exchg.150).aspx

Thursday, September 15, 2016 2:26 PM
  • This was solved by reverting back to  the 'Shared Permissions' model.

setup.exe /PrepareAD /ActiveDirectorySplitPermissions:false /IAcceptExchangeServerLicenseTerms

New-ManagementRoleAssignment "Mail Recipient Creation_Organization Management" -Role "Mail Recipient Creation" -SecurityGroup "Organization Management"
    New-ManagementRoleAssignment "Security Group Creation and Membership_Org Management" -Role "Security Group Creation and Membership" -SecurityGroup "Organization Management"
    New-ManagementRoleAssignment "Mail Recipient Creation_Recipient Management" -Role "Mail Recipient Creation" -SecurityGroup "Recipient Management"

After reboots, I was able to create the Public Folder mailboxes.

• Marked as answer by Vegas577 Friday, September 16, 2016 1:43 PM
    Friday, September 16, 2016 1:42 PM

All replies

• Have you tried entering :

Get-Mailbox -PublicFolder
    ?

Ed Crowley MVP "There are seldom good technological solutions to behavioral problems."
    Celebrating 20 years of providing Exchange peer support!

Wednesday, September 14, 2016 7:31 PM
  • It seems to be a permissions issue. I'm trying to rerun ADPREP, but the server needs a reboot, so I'll have to wait until later tonight. I am a member of the Org Admin group, so I can only imagine that something is not quite right with the default permissions or the client has messed around with them.

Name: PFMailbox1
    The "Name" parameter can't be used on the "New-Mailbox" cmdlet because it isn't present in the role definition for the
    current user. Check the management roles assigned to you, and try again.
        + CategoryInfo          : PermissionDenied: (:) [New-Mailbox], CmdletAccessDeniedException
        + FullyQualifiedErrorId : [Server=XXXXXXXXXX,RequestId=21d1a04b-8871-4be1-8d6d-4490e53479b8,TimeStamp=9/14/20
       16 7:00:33 PM] [FailureCategory=Cmdlet-CmdletAccessDeniedException] 81E091B,Microsoft.Exchange.Management.Recipien
      tTasks.NewMailbox

• Edited by Vegas577 Wednesday, September 14, 2016 8:05 PM
    Wednesday, September 14, 2016 8:05 PM
  • Understanding management roles:
    https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dd298116(v=exchg.150).aspx

Run this command:
    Get-MailboxDatabase | fl name

and then this one:
    New-Mailbox -PublicFolder Mailbox1 -Database 'Mailbox Database 12345' -HoldForMigration: $true

Migrating Public Folders from Exchange 2010 to Exchange 2013:
    http://www.petenetlive.com/KB/Article/0000789

Cloud migration can be a tedious task without the right solution. Lepide Meteor suite has all you need to analyze/upgrade/migrate your mailboxes/public folders/documents and content to Office 365 and also helps you to easily Import/Export & convert EDB, PST and OST into new or existing PST files.

• Edited by Ajit.LS Thursday, September 15, 2016 7:20 AM
    Thursday, September 15, 2016 7:16 AM
  • I reran ADPREP and I still get the same error.

[PS] C:\Users\pressupport\Downloads>new-mailbox -PublicFolder -Name PFMailbox1 -HoldForMigration
    Active Directory operation failed on Server.domain.local. This error is not retriable. Additional information:
    Access is denied.
    Active directory response: 00000005: SecErr: DSID-03152612, problem 4003 (INSUFF_ACCESS_RIGHTS), data 0
        + CategoryInfo          : NotSpecified: (:) [New-Mailbox], ADOperationException
        + FullyQualifiedErrorId : [Server=Server,RequestId=a53dce96-a555-4d59-8495-58e4f23137fe,TimeStamp=9/15/20
       16 1:42:45 AM] [FailureCategory=Cmdlet-ADOperationException] 37F56A2E,Microsoft.Exchange.Management.RecipientTasks
      .NewMailbox
        + PSComputerName        : Server.domain.local

Thursday, September 15, 2016 1:10 PM
  • Well, I got to the bottom of this. Someone configured an AD Split Permissions model and this means that our Exchange Admin accounts do not have the correct permissions.

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dd638106(v=exchg.150).aspx

So, does anyone have any knowledge of putting this back to a regular or 'Shared Permissions' model?

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dd638146(v=exchg.150).aspx

Thursday, September 15, 2016 2:26 PM
  • This was solved by reverting back to  the 'Shared Permissions' model.

setup.exe /PrepareAD /ActiveDirectorySplitPermissions:false /IAcceptExchangeServerLicenseTerms

New-ManagementRoleAssignment "Mail Recipient Creation_Organization Management" -Role "Mail Recipient Creation" -SecurityGroup "Organization Management"
    New-ManagementRoleAssignment "Security Group Creation and Membership_Org Management" -Role "Security Group Creation and Membership" -SecurityGroup "Organization Management"
    New-ManagementRoleAssignment "Mail Recipient Creation_Recipient Management" -Role "Mail Recipient Creation" -SecurityGroup "Recipient Management"

After reboots, I was able to create the Public Folder mailboxes.

• Marked as answer by Vegas577 Friday, September 16, 2016 1:43 PM
    Friday, September 16, 2016 1:42 PM