• migration from windows live mail to outlook 2010
    is there any easy method to do this
    thought i would ask before all my prevoius emails were scrambled or lost
    running vista 64

Cheers

John
    Friday, February 19, 2010 1:04 PM

Answers

• You need change the IPM.Note form. Get DocMessageClass and run it on the inbox.

Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook]
    Outlook Daily Tips | Outlook & Exchange Solutions Center
    Subscribe to Exchange Messaging Outlook weekly newsletter
    Wednesday, August 11, 2010 2:45 AM
  • I had a terrible time attempting to import my e-mails from Windows Live Mail into Outlook 2013 (64-bit). I tried everything, and ended up with either error messages, or with completely useless data folder that did not contain my messages. And all of the sample programs that helped were too expensive. I think it is ridiculous that Microsoft does not have a function that works here, but I did find a free solution.

http://www.outlookfreeware.com/en/default.aspx You will need to create a free account and then download the Outlook Freeware Utilities program. Then, there are add-on apps that help with all sorts of Outlook issues. The one that worked for me was under the Export/Import tab. Download the app to "Import Messages from EML Format".

Now, you must first go to Windows Live Mail and export your message folders. Click the file menu on the upper left, then "export mail". Export it to the Windows Live Mail Format, not the Microsoft Exchange pst format (this will lead to errors). Create a folder in your documents where you want to save this EML file.

Next, in Outlook, create a new data file. Name it whatever you wish, and don't worry about adding any files to it. To do this, click File on the top left, then on Account Settings, Data, and Add New.

Now, open Outlook Freeware and choose the Import Messages from EML function. Browse to find the location of the EML files that you saved from Windows Live Mail. Then, choose the destination folder. This will be the name of the data file you just created in Outlook. Click the box to include subfolders. Click Run and wait while it processes all folders.

Your old e-mails should show up now in Outlook. Took me a LOT of hours to find this solution. I hope it works for others as well.

Thursday, April 25, 2013 5:50 PM
  • I have 24 email accounts in my windows mail ,is there a way to import all my mail settings from Windows to Outlook 2010 32 bit?

File, Open, Import - if that doesn't import them, no.

• Marked as answer by Andy DavidMVP Thursday, February 13, 2020 7:20 PM
    Thursday, September 2, 2010 11:44 PM
  • Rather than google sync, i'd use hotmail - create a hotmail account, move the messagers to it to sync up then install the connector in Outlook and download. Move to a local pst. This should work just fine, as long as the large attachments aren't too large - over 3 to 4MB for a free account. (We've seen issues with larger messages causing sync errors, especially in free accts). 

Actually, you don't need the connector - you can create the account as a pop3 account in outlook and download directly into your pst file.  

Thursday, October 28, 2010 4:39 PM

All replies

• Install Outlook and configure Outlook, start Windows Live Mail, and click File>Export>Microsoft Exchange to export all your mail folders to Outlook.
    Brian Tillman [MVP-Outlook]
    Friday, February 19, 2010 7:33 PM
  • Are you using Outlook 64bit?  If so, the export function in OE/Mail/LM won't work. Otherwise, do the export from LM to Outlook (choose the exchange option - its really outlook).

Outlook Tips: http://www.outlook-tips.net/
    Outlook & Exchange Solutions Center: http://www.slipstick.com
    Saturday, February 20, 2010 7:01 PM
  • I'm running Outlook 2010 64-bit beta. Is the export mail/folders/contacts feature from LM to Outlook going to be available at any point? Are there any workarounds?
    Wednesday, February 24, 2010 1:22 AM
  • I'm running Outlook 2010 64-bit beta. Is the export mail/folders/contacts feature from LM to Outlook going to be available at any point? Are there any workarounds?

I don't know if it will ever be available because it would need recompiled for 64bit. Unless you need 64bit for large file support in Excel and Access, there is no real benefit to using 64bit office.

My workaround was to do the export from a computer with a 32bit version installed.

Outlook Tips: http://www.outlook-tips.net/
    Outlook & Exchange Solutions Center: http://www.slipstick.com
    Wednesday, February 24, 2010 1:43 AM
  • I tried that. I shows the files being transfer, but when I go to Outlook 2010 the folders are all there, but there are no messages in any of the folders. I'm running the 32 bit version of Outlook 2010 beta. Any other suggestions on how to move my email messages over to Outlook?
    Wednesday, April 7, 2010 1:10 AM
  • I tried that. I shows the files being transfer, but when I go to Outlook 2010 the folders are all there, but there are no messages in any of the folders. I'm running the 32 bit version of Outlook 2010 beta. Any other suggestions on how to move my email messages over to Outlook?

Are you exporting from OE\LM? Use the Export command and choose export to Exchange (Its really outlook) - i know it works if you select the specific folders - i do it a few times a month.  

Wednesday, April 7, 2010 2:26 AM

Are you exporting from OE\LM? Use the Export command and choose export to Exchange (Its really outlook) - i know it works if you select the specific folders - i do it a few times a month.  

I'm exporting from Windows Live Mail to Outlook 2010. I chose Export Messages to Microsoft Exchange, and Outlook for profile (which is the only choice it gives me) and I selected All Folders. It shows it transferring files for each folder in turn with the number of files transferring. I can watch the green status bar move as it completes each folder. But when I open Outlook, there are no messages in the folders. When I go to my inbox, for instance, it says "There are no items to show in this view." I certainly acts like it's transferring my messages, but they don't seem to be going anywhere.

Wednesday, April 7, 2010 5:23 AM
  • Is outlook closed? Try it with outlook open. I'd also try it with one or two folders to see if it works.

Wednesday, April 7, 2010 6:11 AM
  • Is outlook closed? Try it with outlook open. I'd also try it with one or two folders to see if it works.

I've tried both of those things previously, but just to double check, I tried them both again. Same result.
    Wednesday, April 7, 2010 6:16 AM

• I've tried both of those things previously, but just to double check, I tried them both again. Same result.

I'm out of ideas - look in Folder list (Ctrl+6) and make sure there is only 1 set of folders. Maybe look both the %localappdata%\microsoft\outlook and my document\outlook files folder to make sure there isn't a new pst with all of these messages. (I'll be surprised if there is... )

Wednesday, April 7, 2010 11:37 AM

• I've tried both of those things previously, but just to double check, I tried them both again. Same result.

I'm out of ideas - look in Folder list (Ctrl+6) and make sure there is only 1 set of folders. Maybe look both the %localappdata%\microsoft\outlook and my document\outlook files folder to make sure there isn't a new pst with all of these messages. (I'll be surprised if there is... )

Well, that seems to be part of the problem. There are pst files for each of my two identities in the My Documents\Outlook Files folder and there are no messages. But there is an "Outlook" pst file in the AppData\Local\Microsof\Outlook folder as well. When I open it in Outlook all my messages appear to be there, but now I have a third folder, named Outlook. Any idea how I can move the messages that are in that file to the other two files?

Oh, and every time I click on a message, I got a popup message that states, "The custom form cannot be opened. Outlook will use an Outlook form instead. The object could not be found." Then it displays my message.

And it only has my inbox messages, none of my sent messages.
    Thursday, April 8, 2010 12:37 AM
  • So we're halfway there?

To move the mail to the other pst files, select then (click on 1 to select, Ctrl+A to select all. Use the move to folder command)

fix the error by clearing the formscache. See http://www.outlook-tips.net/beginner/formscache.htm if you need instructions.

Thursday, April 8, 2010 3:32 AM
  • So we're halfway there?

To move the mail to the other pst files, select then (click on 1 to select, Ctrl+A to select all. Use the move to folder command)

fix the error by clearing the formscache. See http://www.outlook-tips.net/beginner/formscache.htm if you need instructions.

OK. I seem to have all my messages now. Thanks!

Two questions:

1. At this point should I just delete the "Outlook" folder that previously had all my messages?

2. I checked out the instructions for clearing the forms cache on the link you posted. It says,

To clear the forms cache, follow these steps:

1. Go to Tools menu, Options.
    2. Click the Other tab, and then Advanced Options.
    3. Click Custom Forms.
    4. Click Manage Forms.
    5. Click Clear Cache.
    6. Restart Outlook.

I tried that. It didn't fix the problem. So I deleted the frmcache.dat file that they said to delete. I restarted Outlook, but I still have the same problem. I have over 700 messages that I transferred, and every time I click on one I get that pop up message. It's very annoying. Any suggestions on what else I can try?

One more question. All my messages are categorized under "No Subject" So, what I have are a bunch of envelope icons with the name of the person who sent it, but no subject displayed. Kinda hard to find what I'm looking for that way. Is there any way to recategorize them?

Thursday, April 8, 2010 4:26 AM
  • Did you find a solution to this pop up in Outlook 2010? We have just migrated 1000s of mails form Live Mail, and when each one is accessed we get  "The custom form cannot be opened. Outlook will use an Outlook form instead. The object could not be found."

Help!

Marcus Robinson

Sunday, May 9, 2010 10:01 PM
  • Same problem here, anybody found a solution yet? Please help...
    Wednesday, May 12, 2010 11:22 AM
  • Bring back new mail envelope in the system tray for all accounts, including non-Microsoft IMAP accounts.

Tuesday, June 15, 2010 4:18 PM
  • I am trying to export from LM to Outlook 2010 (32 bit) when i click on export then Microsoft Exchange ( both LM and Outlook are running ) I get the following error message:

"There is no email program associated to perform the requested action. Please install an email program or, if one is already installed, creats an association in the Default Programs panel."

Of course Outlook is not listed as an option in the Default Programs list

any ideas on how to make LM recognize that Outlook is installed ?

Thursday, June 17, 2010 5:34 AM
  • Help! Anyone found a solution to the annoying popup:

"The custom form cannot be opened. Outlook will use an Outlook form instead. The object could not be found."

This shows up with each email I imported into Outlook 2010 from Windows Live Mail (into which I imported all my Outlook Express messages). Once I click OK on the popup it disappears and I can read the email, but the popup is quite frustrating.

Thanks in advance!

Wednesday, August 11, 2010 2:15 AM
  • You need change the IPM.Note form. Get DocMessageClass and run it on the inbox.

Wednesday, August 11, 2010 2:45 AM
  • Diane, you are a blessing!

I ran DocMessageClass on the various folders with emails that were giving me pain.

Perfect solution. Worked like a charm.

May your tribe increase!

Thanks a bunch.

Abe

Wednesday, August 11, 2010 4:57 AM
  • I have 24 email accounts in my windows mail ,is there a way to import all my mail settings from Windows to Outlook 2010 32 bit?

Judy

• Proposed as answer by Doug Hopps Sunday, October 9, 2011 2:12 PM
    Thursday, September 2, 2010 8:00 PM
  • also when i did my import from windows mail (i run vista) none of my folders show up in outlook :(

Thursday, September 2, 2010 9:02 PM

File, Open, Import - if that doesn't import them, no.

• Marked as answer by Andy DavidMVP Thursday, February 13, 2020 7:20 PM
    Thursday, September 2, 2010 11:44 PM
  • also when i did my import from windows mail (i run vista) none of my folders show up in outlook :(

Are you exporting from Windows Mail or Using Outlook's File, Open Import command?

Thursday, September 2, 2010 11:45 PM
  • Hi john,

i had some issue with directly import windows mail to outlook 2010

so i found on google to migrate windows mail to outlook 2010

i tried www.windowslivemailconverter.com it works and successfully import my mails to outlook

Thursday, September 9, 2010 8:49 PM
  • Yes it makes perfect sense to pay 70 bucks for something you will only use once. What would make more sense is if Microsoft would actually create software that worked together. This is a classic example of how well Microsoft is connected within its own company.

At least if Microsoft is going to offer c r a p ware (Windows Live Mail) knowing the only way to get a program that works (Outlook) is to pay for it. They would at least offer a way to migrate to it without having to pay out the teeth for a one time use software. Or wade through a long list such as this looking for a solution only to find it worked for one but not for another?

So is there a solution that works to move all my email accounts with their respective folders that is not a typical Microsoft hassle?

Monday, September 20, 2010 5:46 PM
  • I'm dealing with the same ____ for a customer right now. I will be trying Google Sync. WLM -> Gmail -> Outlook. He has about 5K messages with large attachments... this is going to be fun :(
    Thursday, October 28, 2010 4:28 PM
  • Rather than google sync, i'd use hotmail - create a hotmail account, move the messagers to it to sync up then install the connector in Outlook and download. Move to a local pst. This should work just fine, as long as the large attachments aren't too large - over 3 to 4MB for a free account. (We've seen issues with larger messages causing sync errors, especially in free accts). 

Actually, you don't need the connector - you can create the account as a pop3 account in outlook and download directly into your pst file.  

Thursday, October 28, 2010 4:39 PM
  • Diane,

It looks like your DocMessageClass utility doesn't work with 64-bit Outlook 2010. Is there any other method for stopping "The custom form cannot be opened. Outlook will use an Outlook form instead. The object could not be found." error message that pops up with every email I imported from Live Mail?

Thanks very much for your help. It is much appreciated.

Thursday, November 4, 2010 6:08 AM
  • I get a MAPI error when I try to export - I want to move the messages to Outlook 2010 - 32-bit under Windows 7 Ultimate and I was wondering if Outlook must be installed to get around the MAPI error - please advise.  Under Outlook Express this worked - Thanks very much for your help. It is much appreciated.

BD

ITForever
    Friday, November 5, 2010 9:26 PM
  • I get a MAPI error when I try to export - I want to move the messages to Outlook 2010 - 32-bit under Windows 7 Ultimate and I was wondering if Outlook must be installed to get around the MAPI error - please advise.  Under Outlook Express this worked - Thanks very much for your help. It is much appreciated.

Yes, you need outlook installed to import or export to/from Outlook.

Saturday, November 6, 2010 3:28 AM
  • But the issue is I'm moving from Vista to W7 - fresh install so if I do a backup it should backup my data and hopefully the restore program will copy from Vista to W7 and then I should be able to import without exporting from Windows Mail or does Windows Mail not behave the same way as Outlook Express?

ITForever
    Saturday, November 6, 2010 2:13 PM
  • What backup program are you using?  You'll still need to step through Live Mail - make sure the accounts are working in live mail, then export. If you had office installed on the old system and used WET to move it, you'll need to reinstall.  (The only way to backup *everything* and restore without problems is by making a disk image - but you'll keep the old OS if you do that.)

Saturday, November 6, 2010 2:20 PM
  • That doesn't work.
    Thursday, November 10, 2011 1:36 AM
  • What doesn't work? Exporting from live mail to Outlook? What happened when you tried it?

Thursday, November 10, 2011 2:20 AM
  • Like many others, I've wasted hours for what should have been a simple task of exporting and importing. Synch'ing via live.com (hotmail) may have worked but I couldn't figure out how to move e-mails from Windows Live Mail to live.com, and those who've made it work didn't tell how. Neither importing from Outlook nor exporting from WLM works, no matter which file format one tries.

The one thing that solved the problem was

http://www.outlookfreeware.com/en/products/all/OutlookMessagesImportEML/ 

It is free and simple to install. I ran it standalone outside Outlook 2010 once installed, without closing Outlook. All one has to do is to point it to the WLM folders, which are in 

C:\Users\<user>\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows Live Mail

The e-mails are in the "<account-name> DDB" subfolders. If one gives these subfolder names to the utility and ticks to include subfolders, it all gets imported into the chosen Outlook folder. I suggest creating a specific folder for the import so one can check what has been imported. It can always be moved around later. The total file count was correct, the dates were correct, and the attached documents were included and usable.

Microsoft has a knowledgebase article to help explaining this migration on 
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/980534
    but it makes no mention of the many problems, error messages or the specific problem with 64-bit Outlook. Useless.

What is unforgivable is that Microsoft provides no solution for migrating e-mails between their own up-to-date e-mail client programs, particularly when it's about migrating up from a free product to a payable product. MS Office isn't exactly handed out for free, and having paying clients wasting so many hours for so simple tasks is a bit like a shopkeeper giving you the finger once you've paid.

Saturday, December 3, 2011 9:49 PM
  • One more question. All my messages are categorized under "No Subject" So, what I have are a bunch of envelope icons with the name of the person who sent it, but no subject displayed. Kinda hard to find what I'm looking for that way. Is there any way to recategorize them?

No one has a suggestion for this?

I am able to successfully export messages from Windows Live Mail to Outlook using the Export to Exchange feature (described here). But as Mr. Gilbert observes, in Outlook the messages all wind up grouped under "No Subject". This is in spite of the fact that the messages all do get copied over with their subjects intact (i.e. the message window and preview pane both show the actual correct subject).

I noticed that the messages also appear to wind up losing their Internet headers (as viewed in the message properties). I can't help wonder if the two issues are related.

I have to admit, I am feeling great empathy with the rant "earthrat" posted. I am trying to migrate back to Windows, after having used a Mac for the last five years, and the process of moving my email store from the Mac to Outlook has been a horrible experience. Mac Mail exports messages in a standard .eml file format, a single file per export operation. Outlook does not understand an .eml file with multiple messages, and even after they are broken apart into individual files, Outlook uses the filename as the subject field in the .pst file instead of the actual subject from the message.

Windows Live Mail does slightly better. It still doesn't understand multi-message .eml files (though at least it doesn't barf...it just ignores all but the first message in the file), but at least it imports the messages with the headers and fields intact. But when I try to export those correctly-imported messages from Windows Live Mail over to Outlook, that critical data is lost!

It should "just work", without the need to even involve Windows Live Mail. But I could live with the awkwardness of the extra step, if only it would at least not corrupt the data!

Sigh...

Tuesday, January 3, 2012 7:51 AM
  • Can you walk me through migration of contacts (including sub-folders) currently in Windows Live Mail (not in a hotmail account) to Outlook 2010 (32 bit).  The identical mail account is already set up in both mail programs.  I can export the contacts from WLN and import into Outlook, but I get the whole list without sub-folders.  Thanks!
    Sunday, January 22, 2012 4:38 PM
  • Does this application work with Outlook 2010? I clicked on the Inbox folder and shows both source and target and IPM.Note. I choose IPM.Note from the target drop down (only other option was "?????"). But the convert button stays grayed out.
    Wednesday, March 28, 2012 12:10 AM
  • Diane, I echo Abe's words - you are a blessing. I have spent 2 days trwling the web to find out how to get rid of this annoying error after I moved from Windows Live to Outlook 2010.  The solution you proposed worked wonders. I ran it against all the different folders individually (bit of pain, however better than annyoing messgae !!) and presto worked like a charm and no longer this annoyance. 

Many thanks for this. 

Joe

Monday, July 23, 2012 1:12 PM
  • Hi Diane, I read many of your posts and recommendations. In fact I deleted the 64 version and installed the 32. Its a windows7 and recently purchased the office 2010. I followed all the steps but when WLM is in the middle of the exporting process it stops. It freezes. At the beginning I tried with the all folder option and then I strated exporting selected folders.

The problem seems to be when trying to export large folders. For example, there is one inbox folder with about 11,000 mails and it always stops in the message 1,041.

Another large folder with aprox 8,000 mails is also stopping half way.

It freezes and everytime I have to force it to close it.

I couldnt find the same issue going around different forums and webpages.

I dont know how to do it so I decided to write you.

Wednesday, January 2, 2013 7:35 PM
  • Hello,

Using by Kernel for EML to PST Converter Tool,You can very easily convert Windows Live Mail into Outlook mail without any hassle.

Thursday, April 18, 2013 11:05 AM
  • I had a terrible time attempting to import my e-mails from Windows Live Mail into Outlook 2013 (64-bit). I tried everything, and ended up with either error messages, or with completely useless data folder that did not contain my messages. And all of the sample programs that helped were too expensive. I think it is ridiculous that Microsoft does not have a function that works here, but I did find a free solution.

http://www.outlookfreeware.com/en/default.aspx You will need to create a free account and then download the Outlook Freeware Utilities program. Then, there are add-on apps that help with all sorts of Outlook issues. The one that worked for me was under the Export/Import tab. Download the app to "Import Messages from EML Format".

Now, you must first go to Windows Live Mail and export your message folders. Click the file menu on the upper left, then "export mail". Export it to the Windows Live Mail Format, not the Microsoft Exchange pst format (this will lead to errors). Create a folder in your documents where you want to save this EML file.

Next, in Outlook, create a new data file. Name it whatever you wish, and don't worry about adding any files to it. To do this, click File on the top left, then on Account Settings, Data, and Add New.

Now, open Outlook Freeware and choose the Import Messages from EML function. Browse to find the location of the EML files that you saved from Windows Live Mail. Then, choose the destination folder. This will be the name of the data file you just created in Outlook. Click the box to include subfolders. Click Run and wait while it processes all folders.

Your old e-mails should show up now in Outlook. Took me a LOT of hours to find this solution. I hope it works for others as well.

Thursday, April 25, 2013 5:50 PM