none
Lost emails when reimaging a pc on which Delay Delivery items have been sent RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

Sometimes, I use Delay Delivery to remind myself to deal with an item in the future, and then it eventually pops back up into my Inbox.

However, if I reimage and reinstall Windows on my PC, I lose all of those Delay Delivery emails, as these seem to be stored locally and not on Exchange Server.

I reimage my PC around once every couple of months.

Does anyone know of a tool or methodology to avoid losing these emails?

Many thanks.

Keith

R K Howard

Monday, June 5, 2017 9:35 AM

Answers

• Hi Keith,

Are you using cached Exchange before? If so, I'm afraid you may have lost those emails.

Do you still have access to the previous OST file? We may consider to convert the OST file to PST via some third-party tool and then see whether the emails can be found in the PST file.

>> Sometimes, I use Delay Delivery to remind myself to deal with an item in the future

In addition, to remind yourself to deal with items in the future, we can try to send the email to yourself immediately and add follow up flag and reminders to the emails you received.

Or, you may consider to assign tasks to these items in Outlook.

Regards,

Steve Fan

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped.

If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, June 6, 2017 9:22 AM

All replies

• Hello,

Sometimes, I use Delay Delivery to remind myself to deal with an item in the future, and then it eventually pops back up into my Inbox.

However, if I reimage and reinstall Windows on my PC, I lose all of those Delay Delivery emails, as these seem to be stored locally and not on Exchange Server.

I reimage my PC around once every couple of months.

Does anyone know of a tool or methodology to avoid losing these emails?

Many thanks.

Keith

R K Howard

Saturday, June 3, 2017 11:31 AM
  • Hello Keith,

This forum is used to discuss development issue when using Outlook Object Model, your issue is out of scope and i would move this thread into Outlook IT Pro Discussions forum. Thanks for your understanding.

Regards,

Celeste

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Monday, June 5, 2017 5:03 AM
  • Hi Celeste,

I have done what you suggested.

However, I think that getting around this problem may require some code. I'll see what comes out of the other forum.

Kind regards,

Keith

R K Howard

Monday, June 5, 2017 9:37 AM
  • Hi Keith,

Are you using cached Exchange before? If so, I'm afraid you may have lost those emails.

Do you still have access to the previous OST file? We may consider to convert the OST file to PST via some third-party tool and then see whether the emails can be found in the PST file.

>> Sometimes, I use Delay Delivery to remind myself to deal with an item in the future

In addition, to remind yourself to deal with items in the future, we can try to send the email to yourself immediately and add follow up flag and reminders to the emails you received.

Or, you may consider to assign tasks to these items in Outlook.

Regards,

Steve Fan

If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, June 6, 2017 9:22 AM
  • Hello Steve,

The other options are not really relevant to my situation, but the Add Reminder flag works nicely. Most importantly, I understand that the emails remain stored in Exchange, not on my local PC, which is key.

Many thanks.

Keith

R K Howard

Tuesday, June 6, 2017 10:27 AM
  • You're welcome :)

Cheers,

Steve Fan

Wednesday, June 7, 2017 1:30 AM