Importing Exchange 2010 database into Exchange 2016 RRS feed

• Question

• I have an old server running SBS 2011. The hardware is long in the tooth and I want to upgrade it. This is a personal server used as a file server and Exchange server. I have a RAID card and am storing all my data on a RAID 6 array. That's where the Exchange database is, along with photos, videos, etc.

Here's what I'm going to do:

• Remove old motherboard, CPU, RAM, hard drive
    • Install new motherboard, CPU, RAM, and SSD
    • Install Windows Server 2016
    • Install Exchange Server 2016
    • Configure OS and Exchange

Then, I want to:

• Point Exchange 2016 at old Exchange database on RAID 6 array

The only thing in the old Exchange 2010 database is my single personal account. It contains years worth of e-mails, contacts, calendar data, etc. What's the simplest way for me to accomplish this? Can I just point Exchange 2016 at the old database rather than the default new one? Do I need to do something to the old database before I decommission and rebuild the machine? Just doing a little planning before gutting the machine.

Thanks,
    Jay

Wednesday, February 7, 2018 6:00 AM

All replies

• Hi

Follow the below procedure :

1. Take Backup EDB at an accessible location
    2. Decommission Exchange 2010
    3. Install Exchange 2016
    4. Use Kernel for Exchange Server to Restore the Backup file

For decommissioning of Exchange Server 2010

Get help from : https://blogs.technet.microsoft.com/meamcs/2016/10/13/decommission-of-exchange-server-2010/
    or
    https://www.kerneldatarecovery.com/exchange-migrator/documents/Exchange-Server-2010-Decommissioning-Guide.pdf

The account must be delegated membership in the Exchange with Full Administrator role.

Hope, it helps you.
    ________________________________________________________________________________________
    Please mark as an "Answer" ,if my contribution or answer is useful

• Edited by AllmoreeeBanned Wednesday, February 7, 2018 9:42 AM
    • Marked as answer by birdus Friday, February 9, 2018 1:11 AM
    • Unmarked as answer by Sai Kartik Akella Monday, February 19, 2018 4:01 PM
    Wednesday, February 7, 2018 9:36 AM
  • Any reason I can't use Windows Server backup for the backup/restore? Kernel costs $300. No reason to spend that on a personal server.

Thanks,
    Jay

Thursday, February 8, 2018 1:26 AM
  • Hello

Windows Server Backup feature should be installed on the local computer and during backup using Windows Server Backup make sure that the files are a good state and can be used for recovery.

________________________________________________________________________________________
    Please mark as an "Answer" ,if my contribution or answer is useful

Thursday, February 8, 2018 5:44 AM