none
Outlook 2007 Print Preview/Print error after KB2509470

Question

• Are others running into print preview or print error message after installing MS KB2509470?  Our environment XP Pro 32bit, running Office 2007 Std SP2 with latest patches from MS.  Ricoh and HP Printers.  If we uninstall this KB, problem is resolve.

Error Message:

There is a problem with the selected printer.  You might need to reinstall this printer.  Try again, or use a different printer.

Wednesday, April 13, 2011 10:18 PM

Answers

All replies

• I also got this problem after install KB2509470. After uninstall it, printer problem is resolved.

Thursday, April 14, 2011 3:50 AM
  • Same problem. After uninstall, problem resolved.
    Thursday, April 14, 2011 11:56 AM
  • after uninstall KB2509470 the problem still exist

some one have a sulation?

Thursday, April 14, 2011 12:14 PM
  • Same Problem here and while the KB uninstall does fix the printing issue it also seems to install the rest of office 2007 as well.  This is a problem for us since we are only running Outlook 2007,  the rest of our Office Suite is 2003.  So not only do we have to uninstall the KB we need to uninstall the unwanted Office 2007 programs as well.

DDM

Thursday, April 14, 2011 12:35 PM
  • i also made a repair for the installtion and still having the problem.

tried to changed the file outlprnt to outlprnt.old and still having problem.

Thursday, April 14, 2011 12:41 PM
  • eliranbarhum,

Your issue may not be related to this KB update.  Check memo style and page setup.  Check Add-ins.

Thursday, April 14, 2011 3:50 PM
  • We are having the same problem, but it also includes Vista, and Xerox printers. Still searching for a cause and solution other than un-install of the KB.
    Thursday, April 14, 2011 4:43 PM
  • Thanks Jim, looking into root cause as well.  uninstalling KB is just a temp workaround.
    Thursday, April 14, 2011 4:59 PM
  • Uninstalling the KB worked for us here.  we had 3 users out of 500 with this issue.  uninstalled the KB and removed it from WSUS until it gets resolved.
    Thursday, April 14, 2011 9:00 PM
  • Same problem occurred on my domain today, with aprox 4 users out of 200 complaining about this. I have set its approval to "approve for removal" with a date in the past, which should clear it from the machines. I have never done a removal before though so we shall see how it goes.

I have ricoh printers and HP. These fellows seem to think its a ricoh problem: http://www.windowsbbs.com/microsoft-mail-outlook-outlook-express-windows-mail/98644-outlook-stopped-printing.html

perhaps it has to do with copy code authentications?

Thursday, April 14, 2011 11:11 PM
  • The other ricoh fella is the same ricoh fella here.  It's interesting that it's only affecting a small handful out of your large population.

Additional info: only affects Memo Style format, Table Style is ok.

Thursday, April 14, 2011 11:32 PM
  • Same problem, with 4 users out of 300. With XP and Seven. With local and net printers. One solved by itself, not knowing why. Some of them said that they had a reecnt error in outlook.

I've seen this Microssoft article, with identical error, and tried it but it's incompatible

Friday, April 15, 2011 1:35 AM
  • Same problem here too. Canon, HP, Lexmark, Ricoh and Kyocera printers in the network, but only HP, Canon and Kyocera on my machine. Uninstalling all printers and only installin one HP 4100 printer did not solve the issue - only uninstall of the update works.

I also have PDFCreator installed, did not try uninstalling. I also have administrative privileges, BTW.

Friday, April 15, 2011 10:09 AM
  • It works for me after uninstall KB2509470
    Friday, April 15, 2011 11:05 AM
  • I've seen the same problem plus a related problem - after doing a print preview an html email message is no longer formatted correctly.

If you close Outlook and restart it the html email message display okay.

Friday, April 15, 2011 11:49 AM
  • Yep, this update has pretty much messed up print preview on all of my Outlook 2007 clients.  We're using HP printers.

Approving the update for removal in WSUS has put things right again.

Friday, April 15, 2011 1:09 PM
  • Happened on the majority of our stations as well. Removing the KB2509470 update fixed the problem. 

Friday, April 15, 2011 2:36 PM
  • I ran into the same thing on 1 (so far) out of 31 machines that this installed on. We have Win7 Pro with Office 2007 STD SP2 all kept up to date with WSUS. I rescinded the approval in WSUS so it didn't go any further. I have not tried approving it for removal yet, I am waiting to see if those that have it installed develop the same issues with print and print preview. On the 1 machine with the problem I removed the update and print preview and print returned to normal operation.
    Friday, April 15, 2011 3:23 PM
  • Happened on the majority of our stations as well. Removing the KB2509470 update fixed the problem. 

Same situation for our customers' clients.. Removing kb2509470 at the moment is the only workaround.
    Friday, April 15, 2011 4:01 PM
  • Same problem here.  Removeal fixed, but I just wasted 2 hours Microsoft!
    Friday, April 15, 2011 4:19 PM
  • Same problem with a client of ours.  Not very pleased with the quality control on this patch.
    Friday, April 15, 2011 4:21 PM
  • Workarounds;
    When you are affected, locating OutlPrnt and renaming it to .old should solve the issue for most cases as long as you do not use Print Preview anymore. Once you are affected again or have used Print Preview, restarting Outlook should enable printing again or otherwise repeat the process of renaming OutlPrnt.

Note that once you've received the error, you should restart Outlook either way as Outlook will take high CPU (100% for a single core).

Another workaround would be to save the message first as htm or txt and then print that file.

I'll post more info and workarounds when they emerge here;
    http://www.howto-outlook.com/news/print-issues-outlook-2007-after-installing-kb2509470.htm

Robert Sparnaaij [MVP-Outlook]
    Outlook guides and more: HowTo-Outlook.com
    Outlook Quick Tips: MSOutlook.info
    Friday, April 15, 2011 4:41 PM
  • We had similar results at a clients office yesterday, after dealing with a Broken switch, the issue surfaced on Office 2007 Enterprise as well as Profesional and Standard. If you changed the default printer around it would let you print preview but not print, uninstalling the update fixed the issues. Also we noted some authentication problems with the KB installed (on clients) at the server (exchange) side of things. Will check log later during the week to see if they still appear. Might be related.

Friday, April 15, 2011 8:11 PM
  • Just a followup.  After uninstalling and restating would you think I want to reinstall the patch again?  Microsoft...take it down till you get it fised please.
    Saturday, April 16, 2011 10:58 AM
  • Like everyone else I've been getting the same error message over the last 3 days -- using Win 7 Pro + Outlook 2007 + Brother printer.  However, using the "Print" option there seem no problems -- but you don't get the preview!

Sunday, April 17, 2011 11:48 AM
  • Hi,

Same here, but my problem is worse. When I selected into WSUS to remove this update, I see that some computers are unable to uninstall this update :(. Throws me errors and so on.

rgds
    Sven

rgds Sven
    Monday, April 18, 2011 7:50 AM
  • Same here... Dunno before until a win7 + Outlook 2007 user told me that.

Then I tested preview on my PC (WinXP + Outlook 2007).

Hope Outlook Team can fix it ASAP.

• Proposed as answer by i87san Monday, April 18, 2011 11:10 AM
    • Unproposed as answer by i87san Monday, April 18, 2011 11:10 AM
    Monday, April 18, 2011 9:30 AM
  • Thanks for sharing this problem..... this has helped me very much ..... but i wasted 2 days figuring out this problem.....

Monday, April 18, 2011 11:12 AM
  • Looks like the culprit was KB 2509470.  See notice at top of http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2509470 for confirmation. Back it out and all should be OK. 
    • Marked as answer by dtguru Tuesday, April 19, 2011 4:28 PM
    • Unmarked as answer by dtguru Tuesday, April 19, 2011 4:31 PM
    • Marked as answer by dtguru Tuesday, April 19, 2011 4:31 PM
    Monday, April 18, 2011 12:44 PM
  • A user of mine on a newer HP workstation started having this issue yesterday. She seems to be the only one. And it wasn't printing from the preview that was affected, it was printing in general from Outlook 2007 to either an HP or Xerox printer. Yesterday, a reboot 'fixed' the issue, but it resurfaced again several hours later. Today she told me about her finding this thread, so I removed the update for her. We'll see if it remains 'fixed' later this afternoon.
    Tuesday, April 19, 2011 12:40 PM
  • Patch is severely broken, can not be backed out. Set for removal on the WSUS server and now users are receiving an error box "The following updates were not installed: Update for Micorsoft Office Outlook 2007 (KB2509470). Tried to remove using MSIEXEC /x KB2509470 with no luck. Throws error 1603 in event logs.

When the patch is re-issued, will we be able to install on top of a broken uninstall.

Microsoft - we could really use your help in mitigating this issue ASAP.

Tuesday, April 19, 2011 2:40 PM
  • Glad that MS finally acknowledged there is a problem with this KB update

Notice

This update was recalled by Microsoft and will be rereleased shortly. Installing the current update does not let the user print by using the Print Preview pane in Outlook.

Tuesday, April 19, 2011 4:30 PM
  • Patch is severely broken, can not be backed out. Set for removal on the WSUS server and now users are receiving an error box "The following updates were not installed: Update for Micorsoft Office Outlook 2007 (KB2509470). Tried to remove using MSIEXEC /x KB2509470 with no luck. Throws error 1603 in event logs.

When the patch is re-issued, will we be able to install on top of a broken uninstall.

Same here...
    rgds Sven
    Tuesday, April 19, 2011 4:34 PM
  • Thanks, uninstalling did the trick.
    Wednesday, April 20, 2011 3:27 PM

We too could not uninstall KB2509470 on some computers.  Ended up turning on the Installer logging http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=223300 and found error:  DEBUG: Error 2259:  Database:  Table(s) Update failed

We then found http://support.microsoft.com/kb/970320 which sent us to http://support.microsoft.com/kb/981669

After installing the http://support.microsoft.com/kb/981669 package and rebooting, we were then able to uninstall KB2509470.

• Marked as answer by dtguru Thursday, April 21, 2011 4:02 PM
    Wednesday, April 20, 2011 6:05 PM
  • I tried to uninstall KB2509470 but I encounter internal error c:\windows\install\35262f.msi. How to download the KB2509470 updates so that I can reinstall again.
    • Proposed as answer by vartaxe Wednesday, April 27, 2011 2:05 PM
    • Unproposed as answer by vartaxe Wednesday, April 27, 2011 2:05 PM
    Wednesday, April 27, 2011 5:13 AM
  • ive been trying to fix this issue since a week now finaly found that KB2509470 was causing all this... most google results points to that outlook output file in appdata wich isn't the case with this problem
    Wednesday, April 27, 2011 2:04 PM
  • We having the same problem with Office 2007, problem solved after uninstall the KB.
    Wednesday, May 18, 2011 6:55 AM
  • Any word on this issue/work around relative to Outlook 2010...?...I'm having the identical issue/error message, however cannot find a corresponding KB to the issue...thank you for any leads....

Monday, May 23, 2011 5:59 PM
  • Any word on this issue/work around relative to Outlook 2010...?...I'm having the identical issue/error message, however cannot find a corresponding KB to the issue...thank you for any leads....

No, this issue is specific to Outlook 2007 and was introduced with an Outlook 2007 update (which now is fixed). You have a different issue with the same symptoms. The standard method to solve this is to locate OutlPrnt and rename it to .old when Outlook is closed.
    See; http://www.msoutlook.info/question/247

Robert Sparnaaij [MVP-Outlook]
    Outlook guides and more: HowTo-Outlook.com
    Outlook Quick Tips: MSOutlook.info
    Monday, May 23, 2011 6:04 PM
  • This "workaround" is really not a resolution to the problem, and I can't believe that this is the "standard method" to solve the problem. I have done everything possible, including the suggestions mentioned above and they don't work - especially this "workaround."  Oh yes, it works for the time you have Outlook opened, but once you close out the program and reopen it, the problem comes back.  How can you call this a workaround?  Your customers want results/solutions, not workarounds.  Isn't there someone at MS that knows how to resolve this problem once and for all?

Friday, September 26, 2014 9:31 PM