none
Excel 2010 Update KB3178690 has caused Excel to freeze while running an Excel Application via VB

Question

• Hi Since the update 2 days ago (KB3178690). The following section of code now freezes Excel. I guess the application may be churning over and over . This is going to be almost impossible to solve unless a Microsoft Employee could see what changes were applied and how it could effect any of this coding. 

I have tried cutting this code from the VB and placing it in as a macro (i then needed to modify slightly the declared objects) in order for it to run, but it works OK without falling over. 

Therefore, i feel it may be a memory thing or somethign relating to the declaration of objects (mainly Excel, Workbooks, Worksheets and Ranges).

This code has worked for 10 years without a hitch, now all 25 clients still running Excel 2010 have reported this freeze error.

HELP!

With .Worksheets("TrendLASTi")
                .Columns("AE:AI").Delete
                .Columns("D").Clear

'update the YTD column with actual figures
                oXL.Worksheets("LandscapeLASTi").Columns("O").Copy
                .Columns("AC").PasteSpecial Paste:=xlFormulas
                .UsedRange.Columns("AC").Replace What:="ACTUAL YTD", Replacement:="TOTAL", lookat:=xlPart, _
                    SearchOrder:=xlByRows, MatchCase:=False

'update the month column with month figures & formulas
                oXL.Worksheets("LandscapeLASTi").Columns(1).Copy
                .Columns(MonthArray(MonthNumber, 2)).PasteSpecial Paste:=xlFormulas
                .UsedRange.Columns(MonthArray(MonthNumber, 2)).Replace What:="ACTUAL MONTH", Replacement:=UCase(Left(MonthArray(MonthNumber, 1), 3)), lookat:=xlPart, _

For Each cel In DData.Range("I1").CurrentRegion.Cells 'remove the department names at top of each page
                    .UsedRange.Columns(MonthArray(MonthNumber, 2)).Replace What:=cel.Formula, Replacement:="", lookat:=xlWhole, _
                Next
                .Calculate

'IN ADDITION TO UPDATING THE CURRENT MONTH - NOW NEED TO UPDATE THE TRENDS IN THE TEMPLATE.XLSB
                .UsedRange.Columns(MonthArray(MonthNumber, 2)).Copy
                oXL.Worksheets("RollingLASTi").UsedRange.Columns(MonthArray(MonthNumber, 2)).PasteSpecial Paste:=xlAll
                wsTrend.UsedRange.Columns(MonthArray(MonthNumber, 2)).PasteSpecial Paste:=xlAll
                wsRolling.UsedRange.Columns(MonthArray(MonthNumber, 2)).PasteSpecial Paste:=xlAll
                'wsTrend.UsedRange.Columns(MonthArray(MonthNumber, 2)).Replace What:="[" & MonthWkBk & "]", Replacement:="", lookat:=xlPart, SearchOrder:=xlByRows, MatchCase:=False
                'wsRolling.UsedRange.Columns(MonthArray(MonthNumber, 2)).Replace What:="[" & MonthWkBk & "]", Replacement:="", lookat:=xlPart, SearchOrder:=xlByRows, MatchCase:=False
                CoyLoop = 0
                oXL.EnableEvents = False
                'to ensure calculation works
                With wsRolling
                    .Range("A1").Insert Shift:=xlDown
                    .Range("A1").Delete Shift:=xlUp
                    .Calculate
                End With
                oXL.CutCopyMode = False
            End With 

Steve Stretch

• Edited by Stretchy10 Thursday, March 16, 2017 11:38 AM
    Thursday, March 16, 2017 11:02 AM

All replies

• Not a solution I'm afraid, but wanted to report the same thing.  Error after installing this Excel security update KB3178690.

It causes my macro to freeze up when trying to perform a background refresh on a table.  It's as if it thinks the table is just a range and says that the query in the macro has been disconnected.

Uninstalling the update resolved the problem but company PCs are set to auto-update for security reasons.

• Edited by mtichbon Thursday, March 16, 2017 12:44 PM
    Thursday, March 16, 2017 12:40 PM
  • Here same problem.

Looks like the update is breaking normal usage of Excel in random intervals.

Trying to remove the update on all (15) pc`s.

Command line (for my pc`s):

"C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\OFFICE14\Oarpmany.exe" /removereleaseinpatch "{90140000-0011-0000-0000-0000000FF1CE}" "{AD36584E-89DE-4225-BBF3-F64A98F5E0EA}" "1043" "0"

Hope this helps.

Thursday, March 16, 2017 12:59 PM
  • Hi Guys,

I've also managed to resolve by removing the update but unfortunately, as we provide the software to clients, most are not allowing us to disable the updates so it gets installed again the next day.

I'm pinning my hopes on Microsoft getting this fixed in the coming days as we are likely to lose these clients if not fixed. 

Unfortunately because it freezes up and doesn't report an error we're not sure where to re-code...

"Nightmare"...don't need this...:(

Steve Stretch

Thursday, March 16, 2017 1:14 PM
  • there is another issue with KB3178690 for ms excel. (windows 7)

when windows update installed it on 2017-03-15,

all my spread sheets in office excel 2010 would not run.

more specific, my excel workbooks are macro based (.xlsm)

they have hidden worksheets.

when the workbook opens, it will activate a hidden sheet to perform a range clear.

when it does the range clear it hangs excel (and excel can only be shut down from the resource monitor)

I trouble shooted this and found if I unhide the sheet and run the macro, it works fine.

it seems when you activate the hidden sheet, it does not actually activate it or point to it when hidden.

I uninstalled KB3178690 and that corrected the problem.

P.S.

in regards to disabling the updates, you can hide the update. this will prevent it from installing!

Thursday, March 16, 2017 8:51 PM
  • Thank you so much for letting us know about this issue. We are actively investigating and will keep you posted as we  learn more.

Freya

Office Newsroom

Thursday, March 16, 2017 9:04 PM
  • Hi Freya

Just to let you know that everyone in our office that uses Excel is reporting the 'crash' issue when the KB3178690 update occurs.  We are now instructing users to uninstall it every morning and then it works fine but clearly this is a short term fix.  Please escalate the issue as much as you can.

Charlie

Friday, March 17, 2017 6:39 PM
  • We are a company that uses Delphi and connect to Excel using OLE and the Excel API for reporting. We are also being told of this problem by over 100 of our clients who all have variations on Excel versions from Excel 2010, Excel 2013 and Excel 2016. There have been a few excel security updates over the last 6-8 months that have caused us great heartache. We have actively used this method within our software for over 20 years without a problem until now. Why are Microsoft releasing these types of things without considering the effect on their customers ??

As I said we have over 100 clients who would have at least 5-10 computers at their locations all with this problem. After finding this thread we have asked them to all remove the security update KB3178690 but that's not practical. We need a longer term solution Microsoft and stop releasing stuff that is preventing us from supplying stable software to our customers !!

PS. Removing the update KB3178690 fixes our problem.

Steve

Steve West

Friday, March 17, 2017 8:00 PM
  • Issue summary: After installing KB3178690 in Excel 2010, calculation triggered either by code or user interaction in the workbook may result in a hang or crash. We released KB3178690 on March 14.

We are urgently working on a fix and I will keep this thread updated when we have more information.

Freya
    Office Newsroom

• Proposed as answer by Freya [MSFT] Friday, March 17, 2017 10:40 PM
    Friday, March 17, 2017 10:39 PM
  • Hello, I would like to report a similar problem with the update.
    As soon as I turn on the table calculation in VB again(Application.Calculation = xlAutomatic) crashes Excel
    (it must calculate very much).

After the deinstallation of KB3178690 runs the program again as desired.

Greetings from Germany
    Tuesday, March 21, 2017 8:21 AM
  • We have the same problem. After uninstalling this update it resolves the issue. The specific line of code that is causing it to break is:

Sheets("MYSHEET").Range("A5").EntireRow.Insert

It generates an error if I put an error handler around it:

Method 'Insert' of object 'Range' failed

22 hours 51 minutes ago