none
Sharepoint WSS 3.0 Sp2 update problem

Question

• I just installed WSS 3.0 SP2 update through Microsoft Updates and am getting this error:

Unknown SQL Exception 2 occured. Additional error information from SQL Server is included below.

A network-related or instance-specific error occurred while establishing a connection to SQL Server. The server was not found or was not accessible. Verify that the instance name is correct and that SQL Server is configured to allow remote connections. (provider: Named Pipes Provider, error: 40 - Could not open a connection to SQL Server)

When I try to start the Windows Internal Database service, I get this error:

Windows could not start the  Windows Internal Database (Microsoft##ssee) on local computer.

Looks like the WSS 3.0 SP2 update did something to the sharepoint database

Anyway My Intranet is down and need to get it fixed.

Thanks for any help you can give.

• Edited by Mike Walsh FIN Friday, May 8, 2009 2:20 PM ASAP removed. Ring MS Customer Support Services. The forums do not guarantee fast / asap / urgent support. You may get it, you may not.
    Friday, May 8, 2009 2:01 PM

Answers

• Hello,

After research, I’ve found that one of the possible cause of your error may be that the firewall excludes the ports of SQL Server. Refer to the article below for complete information on configuring firewall to allow SQL Server access.

Configuring the Windows Firewall to Allow SQL Server Access
    http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc646023.aspx

If above is not the cause, then you should try to restart the SQL Server service.

Regards,

Jerry

Xing-Bing Yu
    Monday, May 11, 2009 6:36 AM

All replies

• Hello,

After research, I’ve found that one of the possible cause of your error may be that the firewall excludes the ports of SQL Server. Refer to the article below for complete information on configuring firewall to allow SQL Server access.

Configuring the Windows Firewall to Allow SQL Server Access
    http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc646023.aspx

If above is not the cause, then you should try to restart the SQL Server service.

Regards,

Jerry

Xing-Bing Yu
    Monday, May 11, 2009 6:36 AM
  • Hi,

Nope didn't work

I am in the process of restoring Sharrpoint services to a new server.

I will let you know what happens.

Thanks 
    Friday, May 15, 2009 12:35 PM