none
Hybrid configuration with postfix front end server RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,
    I have two postfix server in DMZ that receive all the company mails and forward them to our corporate exchange 2010 infrastructure.
    I have to configure Hybrid for exchange to allow office 365 and exchange 2010 coexistence.

From internet direct connection to exchange port  25 will be guarantee with firewall rules; I would like to ask you if I have to deploy an edge server as well to replace the mail flow managed by the postfix server.

Kind regards

Luca Pozzoli

Monday, July 22, 2019 12:45 PM

Answers

• at the moment the MX records point to postfix server.

I move to point to Exchange online when I have about 60 % of the user migrated on cloud.

Kind regards

Luca Pozzoli

It won't be an issue here, if MX records point to EOP, it would perform a lookup for each recipient, through the lookup, it determines that which mailbox is located in the on-premises organization and which mailbox is located in the Exchange Online organization. 

Regards,

Manu Meng

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Thursday, July 25, 2019 7:24 AM

All replies

• It could be a choice but not the best practice. 

Edge Transport servers with hybrid deployments

I prefer to configure your MX record to point to the EOP, then let the EOP filter the all inbound and outbound emails.

Route incoming Internet messages through the Exchange Online organization

Regards,

Manu Meng

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, July 23, 2019 7:47 AM
  • Thank you so much for helping.

If I understand correctly I can point the MX record to the EOP or I can leave it unchanged pointing to the postfix server.

The customer wants a long term coexistence; initially will be moved 30 mailboxes so I think it would be unfortunate to leave the actual configuration unchanged and change the MX record when almost 60% of the mailbox is moved on the cloud. Do you think this is a feasible strategy?

Kind Regards

Luca Pozzoli

Tuesday, July 23, 2019 9:12 AM
  • Thank you so much for helping.

If I understand correctly I can point the MX record to the EOP or I can leave it unchanged pointing to the postfix server.

The customer wants a long term coexistence; initially will be moved 30 mailboxes so I think it would be unfortunate to leave the actual configuration unchanged and change the MX record when almost 60% of the mailbox is moved on the cloud. Do you think this is a feasible strategy?

Kind Regards

Luca Pozzoli

"leave the actual configuration unchanged and change the MX record"

What do you mean by this?

Regards,

Manu Meng

Tuesday, July 23, 2019 10:32 AM

I move to point to Exchange online when I have about 60 % of the user migrated on cloud.

Kind regards

Luca Pozzoli

Tuesday, July 23, 2019 11:44 AM

Kind regards

Luca Pozzoli

It won't be an issue here, if MX records point to EOP, it would perform a lookup for each recipient, through the lookup, it determines that which mailbox is located in the on-premises organization and which mailbox is located in the Exchange Online organization. 

Regards,

Manu Meng

Thursday, July 25, 2019 7:24 AM