OWA Message Classifications RRS feed

• Question

• I am building a new Exchange 2010 environment that my users will access via OWA.

I want to use message classifications to control the release of information off of the platform. I would like the users to have to select a different message classification to authorise it for release off of the platform, otherwise transport rules will only allow the message to be delivered internally and will stop external transmission.

Creating the new message classifications and the transport rules are not a problem. My issue is that the Default message classification that is automatically selected from the drop-down list is called "No Restriction". I would like to rename this to somethin like Internal to reflect the action of not selecting a different classifcation.

Can anyone tell me how to rename the default 'No restriction' message classification?

If the 'No Restriction' classification cannot be changed, is there a way of having a different classifcation selected by default?

Thanks, Stuart
    Tuesday, March 29, 2011 4:01 PM

Answers

• Hi Stuart,

Per my known, it seems impossible to change the default ones.

Regards!
    Gavin
    Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    • Proposed as answer by Alan.Gim Saturday, April 9, 2011 11:01 AM
    • Marked as answer by Gavin-Zhang Monday, April 11, 2011 3:56 AM
    Thursday, April 7, 2011 7:32 AM

All replies

• I have not tried it, but may be set-messageclassification cmdlet will let you rename

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb125250.aspx

Tuesday, March 29, 2011 4:43 PM
  • Hi Stuart,

Some other information for you:
    http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ee861108.aspx
    If you any other issue, please feel free t let us known.

Regards!
    Gavin
    Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    Friday, April 1, 2011 8:10 AM
  • Thanks for the replies.

My difficulty is with the existing message classifications and not with creating new ones.

If you peform the command get-messageclassification I see listed the new message classifications I have created and the three that are created by default. The three default messge classifications are:

• Default\ExAttachmentRemoved
    • Default\ExOrarMail
    • Default\ExPartnerMail

These three classifications have 'PermissionMenuVisible' set as False, so they don't appear in the OWA menu and none of them equate to the default message classification that is shown within Outlook Webb App. This is called 'No Restriction'.

I need to remove or rename the 'No Restriction' OWA classification or at least modify it so that it is no longer the default classification.

Thanks, Stuart
    Wednesday, April 6, 2011 3:21 PM
  • Hi Stuart,

Per my known, it seems impossible to change the default ones.

Regards!
    Gavin
    • Proposed as answer by Alan.Gim Saturday, April 9, 2011 11:01 AM
    • Marked as answer by Gavin-Zhang Monday, April 11, 2011 3:56 AM
    Thursday, April 7, 2011 7:32 AM
  • Hi Gavin,

Just to add that in fact you can remove/rename Default classifications such as 'Default\ExPartnerMail'. 

E.g.

Set-MessageClassification "ExPartnerMail" -DisplayName "Partner Mail Renamed"

However in this particular scenario, it does seem that the 'No Restriction' classification is off limits.

Wax Revenge

Wednesday, June 3, 2015 1:14 PM