none
Outlook clients hang or very slow creating new email or replying RRS feed

• Question

• Using on premises exchange 2016 with CU13.

Issue is client computers (all of them) running a mix of Windows 7, 8 & 10  with Outlook 2010, 2013 & 2016   cause Outlook to be very slow to respond or hang when selecting either New Email or replying to an existing.   Email is being received fine.

Microsoft OWA  is working fine. A copy of Outlook run on the server is also fine.

This started on Tuesday - only significant event is Security Update KB4509091 was installed on 10th July 19 - no way to uninstall it unfortunately.

Nothing of note in the event logs.

On a client outlook I have setup successfully without issue a connection to an 0365 exchange mailbox on another domain.  So I do not think I it is a client issue.

Any suggestions to resolve would be appreciated.

Friday, July 19, 2019 12:31 PM

Answers

• Resolved the issue - 

having restored a server system image - then upgraded exchange to the CU13 - then had to upgrade the server security certificates.  All this resulted in the domain clients losing their trust relationship - so resolved that.

But the problem persisted.  Then I discovered what the issue was:

Outlook users  had  a   signature that includes an image stored on a webserver.

The webserver not longer existed as had been replaced with another on a new IP address. - so created the image on the new webserver. Nearly there but still not working - why? - because there were some DNS settings on the server that pointed to the old webserver.  Updated these to the new webserver IP address - Ipconfig /Flushdns  on the server and on the client computers and problem solved.

Thank you to all those that replied with suggestions. this was an odd one and I hope my discovery helps someone else.  

• Marked as answer by Toby Grist Monday, July 22, 2019 12:17 PM
    Monday, July 22, 2019 12:17 PM

All replies

• I See same problem if we have installed Adobe Write. Disable AddOn (under Outlook) and it works fine.

Friday, July 19, 2019 1:13 PM
  • Multiple things can cause this.  

Outlook running in Online mode? 

I would review the Exchange perf logs (inside the Logging folder) or use Experf Wiz to capture additional data.

A network trace during to show the issue might also be beneficial. 

I would eliminate many of the common per issues by running the below first:

https://blogs.technet.microsoft.com/rmilne/2015/04/06/exchange-2013-performance-health-check-script/

Cheers,

Rhoderick

Microsoft Senior Exchange PFE

Blog: http://blogs.technet.com/rmilne  Twitter:   LinkedIn:   Facebook:   XING:

Note: Posts are provided “AS IS” without warranty of any kind, either expressed or implied, including but not limited to the implied warranties of merchantability and/or fitness for a particular purpose.

Friday, July 19, 2019 1:15 PM
  • Thank you for your response.  I have already tried when disabling the outlook add-ons but problem persisted.
    Friday, July 19, 2019 1:39 PM
  • Thank you for your reply. I will do as you suggest and put put up my findings.

Friday, July 19, 2019 1:40 PM
  • Rhoderick

I ran the health check script and tidied up a couple of issues it flagged - but now there is nothing significant wrong that I can see.

I looked at the exchange perf logs but don't understand what I am looking at.

I also tries to run a  network trace and whilst it captured lots of data I am struggling to interpret  it.

I am sure this is caused by a minor issue - just can't put my finger on it - any other suggestions?

Friday, July 19, 2019 5:57 PM
  • Hi,

What's Outlook status when it freezes? Processing, not responding or etc?

It could be caused by many settings. To narrow down the issue scope, please try the following steps:

1.Install the Outlook clients in a fresh external client, then check the result.

2.Create a new user mailbox, log on the affected Outlook client, check the result.

3. Configure Outlook in Cached Mode and Empty the nickname cache. For more information, see the article.

What’s more, here are some similar threads for your reference:

Outlook not responding, stuck at "Processing," stopped working, freezes, or hangs

How to troubleshoot performance issues in Outlook

https://community.spiceworks.com/topic/477346-outlook-hangs-when-replying-to-emails-within-the-company

Please Note: Since the web site is not hosted by Microsoft, the link may change without notice. Microsoft does not guarantee the accuracy of this information. )

Regards,

Kelvin Deng

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com

Monday, July 22, 2019 7:45 AM
  • Resolved the issue - 

having restored a server system image - then upgraded exchange to the CU13 - then had to upgrade the server security certificates.  All this resulted in the domain clients losing their trust relationship - so resolved that.

But the problem persisted.  Then I discovered what the issue was:

Outlook users  had  a   signature that includes an image stored on a webserver.

The webserver not longer existed as had been replaced with another on a new IP address. - so created the image on the new webserver. Nearly there but still not working - why? - because there were some DNS settings on the server that pointed to the old webserver.  Updated these to the new webserver IP address - Ipconfig /Flushdns  on the server and on the client computers and problem solved.

Thank you to all those that replied with suggestions. this was an odd one and I hope my discovery helps someone else.  

• Marked as answer by Toby Grist Monday, July 22, 2019 12:17 PM
    Monday, July 22, 2019 12:17 PM