Skype for Business 2015 Standard RRS feed

• Question

• I am deploying Skype for Business 2015 Server Standard on one virtual machine. In other words, all roles are on one Windows Server 2012 R2 machine.

Inside the firewall, Skype works. I can share desktop, I can chat.

Outside, it will not connect. I use Microsoft's Remote Connectivity Analyzer and autodiscovery works and the certificates are good. It then doesn't connect.

I have verified that the appropriate ports have been allowed through the firewall. I have a 1:1 NAT.

The server has one and only one internal IP address, 10.0.10.44.

When I get to the Edge configuration, 

Why doesn't this work?

Thursday, April 28, 2016 7:36 PM

Answers

• Hi,

if I understood correctly you do not have a seperate edge server? This won't work. Edge is a seperate server role which cannot be colocated on the Front End, even in a Standard Edition environment.

The edge server also needs two network adapter, one for internal traffic and one for external traffic. On the external one you can either work with one or three IPs. But if you want to use three public IPs the server also need three internal IPs on the external interface (or it is directly connected to the Internet without NAT).

Regards
    Dirk

• Marked as answer by Paul L Fisher Friday, April 29, 2016 1:21 PM
    Friday, April 29, 2016 8:14 AM

All replies

• Hi,

if I understood correctly you do not have a seperate edge server? This won't work. Edge is a seperate server role which cannot be colocated on the Front End, even in a Standard Edition environment.

The edge server also needs two network adapter, one for internal traffic and one for external traffic. On the external one you can either work with one or three IPs. But if you want to use three public IPs the server also need three internal IPs on the external interface (or it is directly connected to the Internet without NAT).

Regards
    Dirk

• Marked as answer by Paul L Fisher Friday, April 29, 2016 1:21 PM
    Friday, April 29, 2016 8:14 AM
  • Yes, one server.

OK. I guess I read this page 100 times and missed it:

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dn933894.aspx?f=255&MSPPError=-2147217396

"

The Standard Edition server has the following role collocated (additional configuration is required though), while in the Enterprise Edition Front End pool, this role can be collocated, or deployed to a separate server:

• Mediation

These server roles must each be deployed on a separate server:

• Director

• Edge

• Video Interop Server

• Office Web Apps"

That makes more sense. I will spin up an additional VM.

Thanks!

Friday, April 29, 2016 1:21 PM