none
On Premise Exchange to O365, What is the migration sequence? RRS feed

• Question

• I am about to migrate from an On-Premise exchange to O365.

DirSync - What sequence are the objects and attributes synchronized? Hierarchically?, AD Schema?

Exchange Sync - What sequence are the mail objects synchronized? inbox, calendar, notes etc or using another flow process?

Tuesday, June 10, 2014 1:46 PM

Answers

• Hi,

I didn't find any information about the sync sequence when migrate to office365. However, I think the following article may give you some help:

Directory synchronization roadmap

Active Directory synchronization should be considered a long-term commitment to coexistence scenarios between your on-premises Active Directory and cloud.  After you have activated directory synchronization, you can only edit synchronized objects in your on-premises environment.

Synchronizing your directory with Office 365

This blog post provides the basic information you need to successfully implement DirSync. It also points you to more detailed information, for cases not addressed here. Specifically, it covers what you should review before you synchronize your directory with Azure Active Directory. Office 365 uses Azure Active Directory for storing all user accounts, for all directory lookup, and for doing user sign-in authentication.

Hope this helps!

Thanks.

Niko Cheng
    TechNet Community Support

Wednesday, June 11, 2014 9:36 AM

All replies

• Hi,

I didn't find any information about the sync sequence when migrate to office365. However, I think the following article may give you some help:

Directory synchronization roadmap

Active Directory synchronization should be considered a long-term commitment to coexistence scenarios between your on-premises Active Directory and cloud.  After you have activated directory synchronization, you can only edit synchronized objects in your on-premises environment.

Synchronizing your directory with Office 365

This blog post provides the basic information you need to successfully implement DirSync. It also points you to more detailed information, for cases not addressed here. Specifically, it covers what you should review before you synchronize your directory with Azure Active Directory. Office 365 uses Azure Active Directory for storing all user accounts, for all directory lookup, and for doing user sign-in authentication.

Hope this helps!

Thanks.

Niko Cheng
    TechNet Community Support

Wednesday, June 11, 2014 9:36 AM
  • I'm curious, can I ask why you're asking this question? Dirsync will happen in a few minutes, unless it's a gigantic setup.

Wednesday, June 11, 2014 10:55 AM
  • I know it is a quick process, but i wanted to understand the DirSync process to a finer level. i was hoping someone on the forums may have had the answers. 

thanks

Wednesday, June 11, 2014 12:35 PM
  • Thanks for the data Niko, i will read the links in detail. i hope it does help :)

thanks

Wednesday, June 11, 2014 12:38 PM
  • It's based on Forefront Identity Manager 2010 R2, so I'd probably start from here

Understanding Data Synchronization with External Systems

• Edited by bigbuzz Wednesday, June 11, 2014 1:04 PM
    Wednesday, June 11, 2014 1:02 PM