none
Unable to hide one subsite in global navigation menu RRS feed

• Question

• Hi all,

We have a strange one really, we have a site with numerous subsites.  They appear in the top bar as links in the parent site as desired.  5 or 6 sites are hidden from the global navigation bar.  We wish to hide another one.  The following procedure works on every other site in the main site but it doesn't appear to work on this one.  The accounts used to try to change the options have been a site admin as well as a site collection admin and a farm admin:

1. Go to site settings

2. Go to Navigation

3. Go to "Structural Navigation: Editing and Sorting"

4. Under global navigation highlight desired subsite and click the hide button.

5. Click OK at the bottom of the page

When doing it for the affected site at step 4 it claims the site is hidden, however after clicking OK the site is clearly not hidden and going back to step 2 shows that the (hidden) indicator is not next to the desired site.  Also it is possible to change it's ordering but not to hide this site.

I'm at a loss on this one, has anyone come across this?

Cheers

Thursday, July 28, 2016 1:16 PM

Answers

• Hi daemonbreath,

Try to hide the subsite with the following PowerShell:

Add-PSSnapin Microsoft.SharePoint.PowerShell –erroraction SilentlyContinue

$web = Get-SPWeb http://SubSiteUrl...
    $publishingWeb = [Microsoft.SharePoint.Publishing.PublishingWeb]::GetPublishingWeb($web)
    $publishingWeb.IncludeInGlobalNavigation = $false
    $publishingWeb.Update();
    $web.Dispose()

Best Regards,

Lisa Chen

TechNet Community Support
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help, and unmark the answers if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

• Proposed as answer by Kw1rk Thursday, August 25, 2016 1:25 PM
    • Marked as answer by daemonbreath Friday, September 2, 2016 2:22 PM
    Wednesday, August 24, 2016 1:58 AM

All replies

• Hi daemonbreath,

I have done a test in my SharePoint 2013 and  I can't reproduce your issue.

The Hide and Show commands are available only for navigation items that are subsites or pages. You cannot hide headings or links.

What template is the issued subsite?

Make sure what you hided is a subsite.

After you hide the subsite, make sure you have click ok.

Try to hide the subsite again and compare the results.

Besides, please offer a screenshot about your "Structural Navigation: Editing and Sorting" section.

Best Regards,

Lisa Chen

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help, and unmark the answers if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Friday, July 29, 2016 5:17 AM
  • Hi,

Yes it is a subsite of the main site I am trying.  It works for every other site just not this one. 

The template is the default of SP2013 uses out of the box

I did click the OK and after that it decides it's not hidden.

It does matter how many times I try and hide this particulr site - the same thing happens everytime.

Friday, July 29, 2016 11:06 AM
  • Hi,

Instead of hiding it from Site Settings page, can you try the "Edit links" option in the global navigation when you are on the home page or any other page?

Friday, July 29, 2016 11:32 AM
  • There is no "edit links" option on either the parent site or the subsite.  I am aware it should be next to the navigation breadcrumbs but it is just not there.

Regards

Friday, July 29, 2016 1:36 PM
  • Why do not you just delete this link if you do not need

Thanks, https://www.fiverr.com/rashu268 Rahul Rashu

Friday, July 29, 2016 7:05 PM
  • It's not a link.  It's part of the global navigation structure. It is needed, we just don't want it to show like the other items in the navigation we have hidden (see screenshot).
    Thursday, August 4, 2016 11:14 AM
  • HI

Can you please delete it and re-add it than try to hide it?

Marked it as answered if it helped you out. Regards Rahul Dagar

Thursday, August 4, 2016 11:19 AM
  • Hi,

I'm not sure you fully understand what you're asking.  It is not a link.  The navigation item is dynamically created from a list of subsites of the main site.  The only way to delete it is to hide the item as you have no control over what is in there other than deleting or creating the subsites.  Therefore I can't 'delete' it because I would have to delete the subsite which I'm not going to do because the whole point of this is to try and preserve the data in there and remove a navigation link. 

If you think I'm wrong please let me know the procedure you'd use to delete the navigation item other than deleting the entire subsite?

Regards

Thursday, August 4, 2016 1:06 PM
  • Did you ever get this sorted out?  I'm having this same problem across all sites.  Navigation does not save any Show/Hide changes to pages/subsites.  You can reorder them, but not show or hide them.  Links & headings are still editable.  It is just pages/subsites affected by this problem.
    Monday, August 22, 2016 4:13 PM
  • I'm also experiencing the same issue when trying to Hide/Show links via the Navigation menu on any site, it allow s you to select the Show/Hide option but on Save it doesn't commit the changes.  On a site where there is an EDIT LINKS link in the left hand side navigation, I can Hide/Show the navigation items using this method, and it even updates it in the Navigation settings menu.  However, I've yet to understand why some sites have the EDIT LINKS shown and others do not.
    Tuesday, August 23, 2016 4:19 AM
  • Hi PJWNZ,

I haven't had any luck resolving this, however, I did find a post about your EDIT LINKS question.  Apparently that functionality is only available for sites based on specific web templates:

• Team Site – STS#0
    • My Site Host – SPSSITEHOST#0
    • SharePoint Portal Server Personal Space – SPSPERS#0
    • Storage And Social SharePoint Portal Server Personal Space – SPSPERS#2
    • Storage Only SharePoint Portal Server Personal Space – SPSPERS#3
    • Social Only SharePoint Portal Server Personal Space – SPSPERS#4
    • Empty SharePoint Portal Server Personal Space – SPSPERS#5
    • Project Site – PROJECTSITE#0

As per this posting https://sharepintblog.com/2013/04/26/sharepoint-edit-links-drag-and-drop-navigation-option-missing/

Please do let me know if you figure out why Hide/Show is not working.

Tuesday, August 23, 2016 7:54 PM
  • Hi daemonbreath,

Try to hide the subsite with the following PowerShell:

Add-PSSnapin Microsoft.SharePoint.PowerShell –erroraction SilentlyContinue

$publishingWeb = [Microsoft.SharePoint.Publishing.PublishingWeb]::GetPublishingWeb($web)
    $publishingWeb.IncludeInGlobalNavigation = $false
    $publishingWeb.Update();
    $web.Dispose()

Best Regards,

Lisa Chen

• Proposed as answer by Kw1rk Thursday, August 25, 2016 1:25 PM
    • Marked as answer by daemonbreath Friday, September 2, 2016 2:22 PM
    Wednesday, August 24, 2016 1:58 AM
  • Thanks Lisa!  Using your code I was able to figure out how to hide pages as well.

Add-PSSnapin Microsoft.SharePoint.PowerShell erroraction SilentlyContinue

$pageTitlesToShow = @("Test Page 1","Test Page 2")
    $pages = $web.Lists["pages"]
    foreach ($item in $pages.Items)
    {
        if (-not $pageTitlesToShow.Contains($item.Title)){
            $item.Title
            $item.UniqueId
            $publishingWeb.Navigation.ExcludeFromNavigation($false,$item.UniqueId);
        }
    }

$publishingWeb.Update()
    $web.Close()
    $web.Dispose()

I would really like to get the GUI fixed though, users should be able to manage this without me having to resort to powershell...  :(

Wednesday, August 24, 2016 6:40 PM
  • Hi Kw1rk,

It is very strange that you can't hide a sub site from UI, but I am glad to hear that the PowerShell is working.

Please remember to mark the reply as an answer if it helps.

Have a nice day!

Best Regards,

Lisa Chen

Thursday, August 25, 2016 1:42 AM
  • I am also having this problem on a production site. Our users are getting frustrated that they cannot hide/show pages.

We did just install the latest SharePoint Server 2013 CU (August 2016 CU). Has anyone else noticed the correlation between installing a CU and this problem?

C. Jake Jacobsen

Monday, August 29, 2016 3:44 PM
  • I don't have the August CU installed, but I do have the July CU
    Monday, August 29, 2016 6:31 PM
  • Hi Lisa Chen. We are experiencing the same problems that Kw1rk reported. Both of use have installed one of the more recent CUs and in fact this started for us the day after we installed the August 2016 CU. Would you be able to inquire if this is happening to any of your other customers? 

Thank you,

Jake

C. Jake Jacobsen

Monday, August 29, 2016 6:40 PM
  • Hi Lisa,

Great thanks, that did the job!

Regards

Friday, September 2, 2016 2:22 PM
  • I would like to confirm that we are experiencing the same problems that Kw1rk and JakeJacobsen reported. It was acting consistently wrong in our Dev, Stage and Prod SP 2013 on premise environments.

Based on info from our Farm Admins we have installed the June 2016 CU in July and it looks this started for us afterward.

It looks like a bug introduced with some of the updates and we wonder if there will be a HotFix or something coming from MS?

Regards 

Wednesday, September 7, 2016 6:48 PM
  • Looks like Microsoft is aware of the problem and is planning to have a fix for it in the October CU:  https://blogs.technet.microsoft.com/stefan_gossner/2016/08/09/august-2016-cu-for-sharepoint-2013-product-family-is-available-for-download/#comment-141715

(as per Stefan Goßner in the comments of that article)
    Thursday, September 8, 2016 7:05 PM
  • Thanks Kw1rk. You found the comment I asked on Stefan's blog! I'm hoping to have this problem fixed in October. I'll update this thread after the CU is installed. Thanks a ton.

C. Jake Jacobsen

Friday, September 9, 2016 4:04 PM
  • Hello Everyone,

Has this issue been fixed in a recent CU, I have November CU installed and still face the issue.

Thanks,

kbc

Wednesday, January 25, 2017 5:23 PM