none
Affixing callout leader Microsoft Word 2010

Question

• In previous versions of Word, the end of a text box callout leader (callout autoshape) would stay "locked", so if I moved the text box the leader wouldn't move. The leader would even change the side it was connected to (i.e. switch from right side to left side) as I moved the text box. I haven't been able to figure this out in Word 2010. The entire leader moves instead. Any ideas? Thanks.

Wednesday, April 11, 2012 5:27 PM

All replies

• It may work the way it used to if you place the text box and callout inside a drawing canvas.

Stefan Blom, Microsoft Word MVP
    Wednesday, April 11, 2012 7:04 PM
  • Hey Raj, I used Callouts for many years and 2010 I believe the callouts are broken and just about unuseable compared to previous versions.  Like you I have tried everything.  If anyone has any ideas how restore the basic functionality of callouts I'd really appreciate your help.

I do not use drawing canvas.

Thanks

Rob

Sunday, April 15, 2012 2:01 AM
  • "robwibx" wrote in message news:dfaf467e-f11e-4aff-859d-4565fd86a0e5@communitybridge.codeplex.com...
    Hey Raj, I used Callouts for many years and 2010 I believe the callouts are broken and just about unuseable compared to previous versions.  Like you I have tried everything.  If anyone has any ideas how restore the basic functionality of callouts I'd really appreciate your help.

I do not use drawing canvas.

Since you have been using callouts frequently, what results do you get if you test them in a drawing canvas?

Sunday, April 15, 2012 12:16 PM
  • I have the same problem. I tend not to use the drawing canvas either if I can help it, but I tried it anyway as suggested, just in case it fixed the callout leaders.

Alas, no.  Same behaviour.  Any move or resize alters the position of the leader/pointer of the callout just as before.  Shame

Thursday, October 17, 2013 3:50 PM
  • Same problem for me.

What result would I expect? Take a look at Visio.

BalintN

Thursday, October 24, 2013 8:38 PM
  • This issue persisits in Word/Office 2016.  

The great feature of callouts was that the point could be affixed to the place of interest, then the text could be re-located to fit. 

Was there any response to resolve this?

Also - do the Microsoft MVP's get points for the number of posts?  For example, Stefan.  Have you tried it before proposing it, and why would we want to add another layer of 'canvas' to what was a simple-to-use tool?

• Edited by WDW-Maine Saturday, June 18, 2016 10:47 AM
    Saturday, June 18, 2016 10:47 AM
  • This issue persisits in Word/Office 2016.  

The great feature of callouts was that the point could be affixed to the place of interest, then the text could be re-located to fit. 

Was there any response to resolve this?

Also - do the Microsoft MVP's get points for the number of posts?  For example, Stefan.  Have you tried it before proposing it, and why would we want to add another layer of 'canvas' to what was a simple-to-use tool?

As far as I know, nothing has been done to fix this/change the design.

I don't know how the "points system" works in this forum but, as far as I know, the same rules apply to all posters.

Saturday, June 18, 2016 4:43 PM