none
Can't add to lists with workflows RRS feed

• Question

• Our security person turned windows firewall on this week. Now users can't add to any list that has a workflow attached. The only thing I can find in logs is "This event is generated when a logon session is destroyed. It may be positively correlated with a logon event using the Logon ID value. Logon IDs are only unique between reboots on the same computer." (event 4634)

My boss won't let me turn the firewall back off unless I can prove that this is the issue. Am I right?

Friday, February 20, 2015 7:21 PM

Answers

• From the logs, I think users are able to associate workflows to list, but unable to run them and hit the timeout error.

Similar issue has been reported: https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/itmanagement/en-US/c5750602-f018-4c03-8ddf-24d473d9afee/removing-workflow?forum=sharepointadmin.

Ensure that both "Service Bus Gateway" and "Service Bus Message Broker" services are started or does not have problems starting.  The ports used by these services might have to be allowed through firewall; if that's not in place that could be contributing to this problem as well.

These postings are provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

Saturday, March 7, 2015 11:54 PM

All replies

• More details would certainly help.  To start with, are users seeing any error when adding item to lists on which a workflow is associated? Did you check ULS to see if there's any error reported?

From what you've described, I can't say if Windows Firewall could be the problem.  But firewall is enabled on environments I've used and never hit any problem like this.

Friday, February 20, 2015 9:58 PM
  • Here's what I found from ULS.

Original error: System.TimeoutException: The HTTP request has timed out after 20000 milliseconds. ---> System.Net.WebException: The request was aborted: The request was canceled.   

at System.Net.HttpWebRequest.EndGetResponse(IAsyncResult asyncResult)   

at Microsoft.Workflow.Client.HttpGetResponseAsyncResult`1.OnGotResponse(IAsyncResult result)     -

-- End of inner exception stack trace ---   

at Microsoft.Workflow.Common.AsyncResult.End[TAsyncResult](IAsyncResult result)   

at Microsoft.Workflow.Client.HttpGetResponseAsyncResult`1.End(IAsyncResult result)   

at Microsoft.Workflow.Client.ClientHelpers.SendRequest[T](HttpWebRequest request, T content)   

at Microsoft.Workflow.Client.WorkflowManager.StartInternal(String workflowName, WorkflowStartParameters startParameters)   

at Microsoft.SharePoint.WorkflowServices.FabricWorkflowManagementClient.StartInstance(String serviceGroupName, String workflowName, String monitoringParam, String activationKey, IDictionary`2 payload)   

at Microsoft.SharePoint.WorkflowServices.FabricWorkflowInstanceProvider.StartWorkflow(WorkflowSubscription subscription, IDictionary`2 payload)   

at Microsoft.SharePoint.WorkflowServices.FabricWorkflowInstanceProvider.StartWorkflowOnListItem(WorkflowSubscription subscription, Int32 itemId, IDictionary`2 payload)   

at Microsoft.SharePoint.WorkflowServices.WorkflowInstanceServiceServerStub.StartWorkflowOnListItem_MethodProxy(WorkflowInstanceService target, XmlNodeList xmlargs, ProxyContext proxyContext)   

at Microsoft.SharePoint.WorkflowServices.WorkflowInstanceServiceServerStub.InvokeMethod(Object target, String methodName, XmlNodeList xmlargs, ProxyContext proxyContext, Boolean& isVoid)   

at Microsoft.SharePoint.Client.ServerStub.InvokeMethodWithMonitoredScope(Object target, String methodName, XmlNodeList args, ProxyContext proxyContext, Boolean& isVoid)   

at Microsoft.SharePoint.Client.ClientMethodsProcessor.InvokeMethod(Object obj, String methodName, XmlNodeList xmlargs, Boolean& isVoid)   

at Microsoft.SharePoint.Client.ClientMethodsProcessor.ProcessMethod(XmlElement xe)   

at Microsoft.SharePoint.Client.ClientMethodsProcessor.ProcessOne(XmlElement xe)   

at Microsoft.SharePoint.Client.ClientMethodsProcessor.ProcessStatements(XmlNode xe)   

at Microsoft.SharePoint.Client.ClientMethodsProcessor.Process()

Monday, March 2, 2015 6:36 PM
  • From the logs, I think users are able to associate workflows to list, but unable to run them and hit the timeout error.

Similar issue has been reported: https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/itmanagement/en-US/c5750602-f018-4c03-8ddf-24d473d9afee/removing-workflow?forum=sharepointadmin.

Ensure that both "Service Bus Gateway" and "Service Bus Message Broker" services are started or does not have problems starting.  The ports used by these services might have to be allowed through firewall; if that's not in place that could be contributing to this problem as well.

Saturday, March 7, 2015 11:54 PM