none
DB content migration from Sharepoint 2003 to MOSS 2007 RRS feed

• Question

•  

I have created a new MOSS 2007 portal, now I want to migrate document libraries and user and their permission from SharePoint 2003 to new portal in MOSS 2007. I only want to migrate document libraries and Users, not the complete portal.

Can anyone tell me what are the steps that are required to migrate document libraries and user and their permission from SharePoint 2003 to new portal in MOSS 2007?

Thanks,

Bilal

Monday, February 12, 2007 5:36 AM

Answers

• Bilial,

In Beta 2 TR you had three options for upgrade Inplace, Gradual and database.  Database seems to have been dropped from the SDK so not sure if this is still a valid approach. However in your scenario, where you have the new MOSS 2007 setup already,  I would recommend you look at doing a custom solution that will enable you to define exactly what object and entities you want to migtrate and also the source and destination locations.  The WSS V3 SDK and WSS V2 SDKs provide information needed to help you with this.

If you are looking to only upgrade site collections (and you have followed the best practice and these are in a dedicated content database) you could attach this to the MOSS.   I would first try this on a test server (or failing that) at least on a seperate application and then add the exisiting content database database,  as stated above the 'database upgrade' stiry has gone quite since Beat 2 TR.

There are also a number of Microsoft Partners who have created applications to do this,  details can be found on Migration and Upgrade for Developers page.

Andrew

Wednesday, February 14, 2007 5:30 PM
  • Microsoft provide no tools for transfering document libraries and lists between v2 and v3.

So you need to upgrade your entire v2 installation to v3 (either by an in-site upgrade or by the database method to a new server.

Then, once you have a (temporary) v3 installation you can use stsadm -export from that and then use stsadm -import to transfer document libraries or lists from your temporary v3 installation to a separate permanent v3 installation.

Mike

Friday, February 16, 2007 5:49 PM

All replies

• Bilial,

In Beta 2 TR you had three options for upgrade Inplace, Gradual and database.  Database seems to have been dropped from the SDK so not sure if this is still a valid approach. However in your scenario, where you have the new MOSS 2007 setup already,  I would recommend you look at doing a custom solution that will enable you to define exactly what object and entities you want to migtrate and also the source and destination locations.  The WSS V3 SDK and WSS V2 SDKs provide information needed to help you with this.

If you are looking to only upgrade site collections (and you have followed the best practice and these are in a dedicated content database) you could attach this to the MOSS.   I would first try this on a test server (or failing that) at least on a seperate application and then add the exisiting content database database,  as stated above the 'database upgrade' stiry has gone quite since Beat 2 TR.

There are also a number of Microsoft Partners who have created applications to do this,  details can be found on Migration and Upgrade for Developers page.

Andrew

Wednesday, February 14, 2007 5:30 PM
  • Microsoft provide no tools for transfering document libraries and lists between v2 and v3.

So you need to upgrade your entire v2 installation to v3 (either by an in-site upgrade or by the database method to a new server.

Then, once you have a (temporary) v3 installation you can use stsadm -export from that and then use stsadm -import to transfer document libraries or lists from your temporary v3 installation to a separate permanent v3 installation.

Mike

Friday, February 16, 2007 5:49 PM