none
How to empty display text box in Visio 2010?

Question

• Hi,

My users use Visio 2010 and Visio 2002. I found a problem this morning. 2010 user created a Visio file. He accidentally opened a text box and inserted a space in it. He couldn't see it in Visio 2010. However when my 2002 user received this file, she noticed the blank space in the file. My question is if it is possible to have the 2010 user to have the same view as what the 2002 users have so that he is aware of the space.

Please advise!

Thanks in advance!

Grace

grace

Monday, May 21, 2012 11:45 PM

All replies

• What difference is the user seeing? A text box that is empty or only containing blanks show not be visible unless it is selected, when selected it should show its standard shape handles?

-- Paul Herber, Sandrila Ltd. Engineering and software shapes for Visio - http://www.sandrila.co.uk/

Tuesday, May 22, 2012 6:14 AM
  • Hi Paul,

Thank you for your reply. 2010 user inserted a blank text box on top of a line. Like what you said, it is not visible unless it is selected, however for 2002 user, it shows a broken line. 2002 user doesn't know it is a blank text box unless she selected it. 

First I want to know why 2010 and 2002 display differently? Second, how can I fix this kind of issues for different version user? Is it possible for 2010 user to see what 2002 user can see?

Many thanks,

Grace

Tuesday, May 22, 2012 6:53 AM
  • As Paul points out, a blank should not be visible. So I doubt Microsoft will change 2010 to do the same thing as appears in 2002. The appearance of the broken line should not be happening in 2002, but my suspicion is that the shape (a text box is just a shape with no line pattern) has inherited a different line pattern.

If the information is not to sensitive, any chance you can put the file somewhere so we can look at it?

John... the original Visio MVP (since 1993) Visio.MVPs.org

Tuesday, May 22, 2012 1:38 PM
  • Hi John,

Thank you very much for your reply. There is just a space in the text box. What happened is the 2010 user accidentally opened a text box above a line by double clicked on the line, then he hit the space bar. It is invisible in 2010, but it showed in 2002 like a broken line. If I double click the text box and deleted it in 2002, then it looks fine.

How can I send you the file?

Thanks,

Grace

• Edited by graceyin39 Tuesday, May 22, 2012 5:55 PM
    Tuesday, May 22, 2012 5:18 PM
  • Ah, that's not a text box, that's the text area of a connector.

(A text box is a very different animal).

Even so, I don't see any difference between Visio 2010 and older versions.

-- Paul Herber, Sandrila Ltd. Engineering and software shapes for Visio - http://www.sandrila.co.uk/

Tuesday, May 22, 2012 6:30 PM
  • Hi Paul,

Can I sent the file to you by email if I can have your email address?

Thanks,

Grace

Tuesday, May 22, 2012 11:51 PM
  • Sure, but I won't be able to look at it until next week.

paul

at

pherber

dot

com

Wednesday, May 23, 2012 8:21 AM