none
Strange behavior and crash reading calendar invitations on Outlook 2010 RRS feed

  • Question

  • I'm using Outlook 2010 (64-bit) as an IMAP client to connect to my company's Exchange 2007 servers. Since upgrading from Outlook 2007, I've been unable to reply to calendar invitations on the IMAP account. The response buttons (Accept, Tentative, etc) are all grayed out in the reading pane and are not displayed when I open the message. If I right-click the message in the conversation list, the actions are available in the context menu, but if I click on one of them, it causes Outlook to crash.

    Prior to upgrading to Outlook 2010, I was able to respond to these invitations and they would be added to my default Outlook calendar (which is exactly the behavior I desire).

    The fact that it used to work and now doesn't and in fact causes a crash in some situations indicates this is a bug in Outlook 2010.

    Is there anything I can do to correct this issue? If not, how can I get this report back to the development team for consideration?

    Wednesday, March 9, 2011 1:57 PM

All replies

  •  

    Hi,

     

    Based on the current situation, some settings in the current profile might be corrupted. Try to create a new Outlook profile and test the results again.

     

    1.       Exit Outlook.

    2.       Go to Start > Control Panel, click or double-click Mail.  

    3.       Click Show Profiles. Choose Prompt for a profile to be used.

    4.       Click Add.

    5.       Type a name for the profile, and then click OK.

    6.       Highlight the profile, and choose Properties. Then Email Accounts.., add your email account in the profile.

    7.       Start Outlook, and choose this new profile.

     

    If this problem does not occur in the new Outlook profile, the old Outlook is corrupted. We can delete that and use a new Outlook profile.

     

    Best Regards,

     

    Sally Tang

    TechNet Subscriber Support in forum

    If you have any feedback on our support, please contact tngfb@microsoft.com   

     

     

    • Marked as answer by Sally Tang Tuesday, March 15, 2011 8:27 AM
    • Unmarked as answer by Sally Tang Wednesday, March 23, 2011 7:47 AM
    Thursday, March 10, 2011 8:58 AM
  •  

    Hi,

     

    I am writing to see how everything is going with this issue. Is the problem resolved? If there is anything I can do for you, please feel free to let me know.

     

    Best Regards,

     

    Sally Tang

    TechNet Subscriber Support in forum

    If you have any feedback on our support, please contact tngfb@microsoft.com   

    Monday, March 14, 2011 6:06 AM
  •  

    Hi,

     

    As I have not heard from you for several days. I will go ahead and close this thread. If this issue is not resolved or you have any questions, please feel free to reply to us and this thread will be re-opened.

     

    Best Regards,

     

    Sally Tang

    TechNet Subscriber Support in forum

    If you have any feedback on our support, please contact tngfb@microsoft.com   

    Tuesday, March 15, 2011 8:27 AM
  • I apologize for the delay. The notification system for TechNet stopped working (again, apparently).

     

    Your suggestion did work. Last night, I spent about a half hour recreating my Outlook file (I have several accounts which require a lot of custom settings).

    Now I guess I'm stuck with going to my other machines and repeating the process.

    Do you know if this was a known bug that was fixed, or am I likely to encounter it again? It occurred on every single Office 2010 machine I have, including two installs that were upgrades from 2007 (one 64-bit, one 32-bit) and another 64-bit install that was clean.

     

    This frequency of occurrence (100%) leads me to believe I'm likely to encounter it again if it wasn't a defect that was fixed... and I really can't be recreating my profile (with signatures, preferences, etc) every time Outlook gets confused.
    Wednesday, March 16, 2011 12:55 PM
  • I found I did not have to rebuild my entire Outlook profile, but only had to remove and re-add the IMAP account in which the invitations were being sent. Apparently, Outlook 2010 is getting confused by something in the file.

    To make matters worse, the problem seems to have re-emerged on at least two machines. It seems deleting the IMAP account and re-adding it was a temporary workaround but did not ultimately resolve the problem. I will post a new question with this new information.

    Tuesday, March 29, 2011 11:49 PM