Winword.exe process continues to run after exit RRS feed

• Question

• Hey,
    I've recently encountered an issue when I try to close word 2013.
    Word closes normally, but the Winword.exe process continues to run in the background for about 30 seconds.
    This problem occurs mainly when I try to close the word shortly after I opened it.
    However, when I start word in safe mode, the process closes as soon as the window is closed.
    This made me think that the problem was due to add-ins but even after I disabled them the problem continues.
    Also, I'm not sure if this is relevant, but the problem happens in an internal network without an Internet connection.
    What else is running only when I open word as usual and do not run when I start it in safe mode? And how can I disable them or find which one cause of the problem?
    Or maybe this is something else? I'd love to hear your ideas.
    Thanks.
    Sunday, October 22, 2017 11:19 AM

All replies

• Hi,

Does the issue happen every time when you try to close the word shortly after opened it? We can try to disable all third-party antiVirus and AntiSpam programs. Try other Word switches to start Word 2013 for further analysis:

https://support.office.com/en-us/article/Command-line-switches-for-Microsoft-Office-products-079164cd-4ef5-4178-b235-441737deb3a6?ui=en-US&rs=en-US&ad=US#ID0EAABAAA=Word

For example, we can try to use /a command switches for Word 2013:

Press Win+R to open Run in Windows, type winword /a, press Enter to start Word 2013. It starts Word and prevents add-ins and global templates (including the Normal template) from being loaded automatically.

Close Word 2013 and check if winword.exe process is closed in Task Managers or not. In Word 2013, go to File > Options > Add-ins, select Manage COM Add-ins, click GO. Uncheck to disable all listed add-ins there. Restart Word 2013 normally to have a try.

Best Regards,
    Winnie Liang

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Monday, October 23, 2017 7:22 AM