none
DFS File Replication stopped working RRS feed

• General discussion

• I have 2 2012 Servers and for some reason the DFS replication stopped working.  At this point I think I have made it worse then it was when I started.

I have a folder on each server that resides on the E:\ named Company Files.  I did have it so when anyone from anyone of the severs saved a file in that folder it would replicate to the other server but now it wont.  I have tried restarting all the DFS services.  I have tried deleting the namespace and the replication group.  I have tried making a new share, with a new namespace and replication group and it still doesn't work.  

I can get the namespace to work with the primary DC but the file replication isn't working at all.  I have tried to force the replication and it acts as if it accepts it but it never replicates.

Any ideas?

Update:  When I try to do a propagation test I get an arrival pending error.

***Test launched from SERVER1  on Monday, April 14, 2014 at 2:40:33 PM (GMT-5:00)
    <v:vmlframe class="er2" src="#TimeRed"></v:vmlframe> TESTS WITH ERROR (0 test(s) in error)
    <v:vmlframe class="pm1" src="#Plus"></v:vmlframe><v:vmlframe class="er2" src="#Details"></v:vmlframe> DETAILS  (4 tests)
    (Show All)
    Report Loading. Please wait . . .
    <v:vmlframe class="pm1" src="#Minus"></v:vmlframe> Test launched from SERVER1  on Monday, April 14, 2014 at 7:58:35 PM (GMT-5:00)
    (Show All)

Reference server:
    SERVER1l
    Reference site:
    Default-First-Site-Name
    Pending (0 of 1 completed)
    Date launched:
    Monday, April 14, 2014 at 7:58:35 PM (GMT-5:00)
    Time elapsed:
    9 hr. 32 min.
    Test file:
    SERVER1@518B5B15-CC21-456A-9DCF-A5AC182CAD32@Company Files Rep-Company Files.xml
    <v:vmlframe class="pm1" src="#Plus"></v:vmlframe><v:vmlframe class="er1" src="#Time"></v:vmlframe> Graph of replication time
    <v:vmlframe class="er1a" src="#Warn1" style="margin-"></v:vmlframe>  At least one member must have received the test file in order for the graph to be shown.
    <v:vmlframe class="pm1" src="#Plus"></v:vmlframe><v:vmlframe class="er1" src="#Time"></v:vmlframe> Replication time

% of members Replication time
    10% (1 member) --
    20% (1 member) --
    30% (1 member) --
    40% (1 member) --
    50% (1 member) --
    60% (1 member) --
    70% (1 member) --
    80% (1 member) --
    90% (1 member) --
    100% (1 member) --
    <v:vmlframe class="pm1" src="#Minus"></v:vmlframe><v:vmlframe class="er1" src="#Details"></v:vmlframe> Members (1 member)

Member Member site Replication status
    SERVER1.domain.local Default-First-Site-Name  Arrival pending

• Edited by Klaxxious Tuesday, April 15, 2014 9:43 AM
    Tuesday, April 15, 2014 2:23 AM

All replies

• Hi,

Sometimes only delete DFS namespace and replication group may not clearly remove the settings, which causes another fail in recreating a replication group.

As it is acceptable to recreate a replication group, please try to clear DFS database to start-over the environment:

1.       Stop and ALSO disable the DFSR service on <Server1>  (main server, don't just simply stop it)
    2.       In Windows Explorer open the specific drive
    3.       Right click on the "System Volume Information" directory and select Properties\Security

Note: You might need to select the option for "Show hidden files, folders or drives" and also uncheck "Hide protected operating system files" in the folders view options to be able to even see the "System Volume Information" directory.

4.       Grant your user account that you're logged in with (if a member of Administrators group this will also suffice) "Full Control" to the "System Volume Information" directory.

Note: You may get an error on setting security on some files - this is expected.

5.       Open an elevated/Administrative command prompt. Switch to the "<drive letter>:\System Volume Information" directory

6.       Type the command "rmdir DFSR /s"
    7.       Enable and re-start the DFSR service on <Server1> 
    8.       We will then set the <Server1> server as the Primary member with dfsradmin.exe utility –

Dfsradmin Membership Set /RGName:<RG Name> /RFName:<RF Name> /MemName:<Member Name> /IsPrimary:True

Note: Files will be replicated from Server1 to all other targets. So if there is any newer file on other target servers, backup before starting replication.

If you have any feedback on our support, please send to tnfsl@microsoft.com.

Thursday, April 17, 2014 3:14 AM
  • That worked!! Thank you!

Thursday, April 17, 2014 3:10 PM
  • Thanks!!!
    Wednesday, August 21, 2019 9:42 AM
  • Hi,

Sometimes only delete DFS namespace and replication group may not clearly remove the settings, which causes another fail in recreating a replication group.

As it is acceptable to recreate a replication group, please try to clear DFS database to start-over the environment:

1.       Stop and ALSO disable the DFSR service on <Server1>  (main server, don't just simply stop it)
    2.       In Windows Explorer open the specific drive
    3.       Right click on the "System Volume Information" directory and select Properties\Security

Note: You might need to select the option for "Show hidden files, folders or drives" and also uncheck "Hide protected operating system files" in the folders view options to be able to even see the "System Volume Information" directory.

4.       Grant your user account that you're logged in with (if a member of Administrators group this will also suffice) "Full Control" to the "System Volume Information" directory.

Note: You may get an error on setting security on some files - this is expected.

5.       Open an elevated/Administrative command prompt. Switch to the "<drive letter>:\System Volume Information" directory

6.       Type the command "rmdir DFSR /s"
    7.       Enable and re-start the DFSR service on <Server1> 
    8.       We will then set the <Server1> server as the Primary member with dfsradmin.exe utility –

Dfsradmin Membership Set /RGName:<RG Name> /RFName:<RF Name> /MemName:<Member Name> /IsPrimary:True

Note: Files will be replicated from Server1 to all other targets. So if there is any newer file on other target servers, backup before starting replication.

If you have any feedback on our support, please send to tnfsl@microsoft.com.

This process seems to have re-instated the DFS replication for my file share.

Regards CT

Tuesday, August 27, 2019 2:37 PM