none
outlook: The connection to microsoft exchange is unavailable

Question

• I uninstalled microsoft office 2003 sometimes ago. Now I try to install ms office 2007. When I open the outlook, it displayed a window with the title "Configuring Outlook". In the form, it displayed Migrating Account Settings, under that are "Migrating Preferences" and "Importing User Data."

Then an error message occurred: "The connection to microsoft Exchange is unavailable. outlook must be online or connected to complete this action."

I tried to uninstall the office 2007 and rename the folder of outlook under users\User name\AppData\local\microsoft. After reinstalling the ms office 2007, I got same problem.

I think there is some thing in regedit, it indicates there is another version of outlook data file, so the new installed outlook try to to import the old data. but the old data does not exist any more. so it produce the error. I think if I can clean the regedit completely , it may solve the problem. But how can I do this?

Tuesday, April 12, 2011 11:41 PM

Answers

• Hi Peter,

Please try rejoin the domain for your PC.

Make sure you have administrative password or local account first.
    Make sure you have the domain administrative permission to rejoin your PC into the domain.

Step.1    Leave the domain 

Open System by clicking the Start button , right-clicking Computer, and then clicking Properties.

Under Computer name, domain, and workgroup settings, click Change settings. If you're prompted for an administrator password or confirmation, type the password or provide confirmation.

In the System Properties dialog box, click theComputer Name tab, and then click Change.

In the Computer Name/Domain Changes dialog box, under Member of, clickWorkgroup, type anything, and then click OK.

You will need to reboot computer. And logo on with your local account with administrative permission.

Step.2    Rejoin the domain

Open System by clicking the Start button , right-clicking Computer, and then clicking Properties.

Under Computer name, domain, and workgroup settings, click Change settings. If you're prompted for an administrator password or confirmation, type the password or provide confirmation.

In the System Properties dialog box, click the Computer Name tab, and then clickChange.

In the Computer Name/Domain Changes dialog box, under Member of, clickDomain, and then type the name of the domain that you want to join, and then clickOK. You will be asked to type your user name and password for the domain.

Once you are successfully joined to the domain, you will be prompted to restart your computer. You must restart your computer before the changes take effect. 

Step.3    Remove & add back your domain account (This is a selectable option if the domain account is already been there)

Restart your computer, logo on with your local account with administrative permission.
    Add your domain account into the computer if it isn’t been there:

Go to Start->Control Panel->User Accounts->Manage User Accounts->Add…

Another selectable option is to recreate the profile for your whole system:
    Go toC:\Users find the folder named as your domain account, rename it to anything, such as accountold.   

Step.4 Restart your computer, logo on with your domain account.
    If you are lucky enough, then you should be able to logo on the outlook happily.

Step.5    If no luck, go ahead to change your domain password in the Active Directory.

Sincerely,
    Max Meng

Tuesday, April 19, 2011 8:28 AM

All replies

• Are you ultimately trying to connect to Exchange?  If not, you can open the "Mail" app in the Control Panel and manage your Outlook profiles.  Delete the one that is pointing to Exchange and create the profile that is needed.
    Tim Harrington | MVP: Exchange | MCITP: EMA 2007/2010, MCITP: Lync 2010, MCITP: Server 2008, MCTS: OCS | Blog: http://HowDoUC.blogspot.com | Twitter: @twharrington
    Wednesday, April 13, 2011 12:59 AM
  • Hi Tim,

Thank u very much for your help.

I deleted the profile. Now when I open the outlook, it starts the outlook startup window and ask me to specify the email address and password. The problem is that I forgot the password. I have to reset the password on our ISP web site. and also I think I need reset the password on our MS Exchange server. I couldn't find where to change the password for my email account in the Exchange server. Would you able to instruct me about this?

peter

Thursday, April 14, 2011 4:55 AM
  • Hi Peter,

Please turn to your Exchange provider or inside IT try to get your password back.

Sincerely,
    Max Meng

Monday, April 18, 2011 3:14 PM
  • Hi Max,

Thank you for your help.

We don't have an IT to look after the exchange server. I need to do it by myself. To change the password on the exchange server, is it a right place to do it that is right clicking on user under Active Directory User and Computers -> Organisation name -> Users, then change password by selecting reset passsword?

Monday, April 18, 2011 11:10 PM
  • Yes, Peter, just like what you said.

Tuesday, April 19, 2011 1:37 AM
  • Hi Max,

If I do so, will it affect my local pc logs on the server pc (that has exchange server)?

Tuesday, April 19, 2011 2:14 AM
  • Hi Peter,

I'm not quite clear about the environment you are using. And the password you are going to change in the Active Directory will change your domain account's password.

Before that, try with the password you logo on to the PC to logo on the exchange. They should be the same one.

Tuesday, April 19, 2011 3:04 AM
  • Hi Max,

I am using win7 pro. the server is win server 2003.

For the outlook I tried use the password that logon to my PC, it doesn't work. I guess something wrong with my PC and network configure. Because everyday the logon process is very slow. and the server is not connected. I have to open the windows explorer and click the server then type in the user name and password. We don't have network staff in our company, I have no idea to figure it out. Could u please help me?

Tuesday, April 19, 2011 6:17 AM
  • Hi Peter,

Please try rejoin the domain for your PC.

Make sure you have administrative password or local account first.
    Make sure you have the domain administrative permission to rejoin your PC into the domain.

Step.1    Leave the domain 

In the System Properties dialog box, click theComputer Name tab, and then click Change.

In the Computer Name/Domain Changes dialog box, under Member of, clickWorkgroup, type anything, and then click OK.

You will need to reboot computer. And logo on with your local account with administrative permission.

Step.2    Rejoin the domain

In the System Properties dialog box, click the Computer Name tab, and then clickChange.

In the Computer Name/Domain Changes dialog box, under Member of, clickDomain, and then type the name of the domain that you want to join, and then clickOK. You will be asked to type your user name and password for the domain.

Once you are successfully joined to the domain, you will be prompted to restart your computer. You must restart your computer before the changes take effect. 

Step.3    Remove & add back your domain account (This is a selectable option if the domain account is already been there)

Restart your computer, logo on with your local account with administrative permission.
    Add your domain account into the computer if it isn’t been there:

Go to Start->Control Panel->User Accounts->Manage User Accounts->Add…

Another selectable option is to recreate the profile for your whole system:
    Go toC:\Users find the folder named as your domain account, rename it to anything, such as accountold.   

Step.4 Restart your computer, logo on with your domain account.
    If you are lucky enough, then you should be able to logo on the outlook happily.

Step.5    If no luck, go ahead to change your domain password in the Active Directory.

Sincerely,
    Max Meng

Tuesday, April 19, 2011 8:28 AM
  • Hi Max,

I changed my computer into workgroup. After restart computer, I logon the computer with local account having admin permission. But in step 2(rejoin domain), I got an error message.

Also the outlook is working, and I can access the server computer but I cannot access my colleagues' computers.

I coped the error message below, now what should I do?

Note: This information is intended for a network administrator.  If you are not your network's administrator, notify the administrator that you received this information, which has been recorded in the file C:\Windows\debug\dcdiag.txt.

The following error occurred when DNS was queried for the service location (SRV) resource record used to locate an Active Directory Domain Controller (AD DC) for domain "MyCompanyName.local":

The error was: "DNS name does not exist."
    (error code 0x0000232B RCODE_NAME_ERROR)

The query was for the SRV record for _ldap._tcp.dc._msdcs.MyCompanyName.local

Common causes of this error include the following:

- The DNS SRV records required to locate a AD DC for the domain are not registered in DNS. These records are registered with a DNS server automatically when a AD DC is added to a domain. They are updated by the AD DC at set intervals. This computer is configured to use DNS servers with the following IP addresses:

- One or more of the following zones do not include delegation to its child zone:

MyCompanyName.local
    local
    . (the root zone)

Wednesday, April 20, 2011 12:57 AM
  • Hi Peter,

Check this:

In order for this DC to register it's records in DNS it should be pointed to itself in the properties of TCP/IP. 

How to Verify the Creation of SRV Records for a Domain Controller
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/241515/en-us

How to: Configure DNS for Internet Access In Windows 2000  
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/300202

Setting Up the Domain Name System for Active Directory
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/237675 

Sincerely,
    Max Meng

Wednesday, April 20, 2011 6:17 AM