Exporting email folders from Windows Live Mail to Outlook 365 results in empty folders RRS feed

• Question

• I'm going mad trying to do a very simple thing: Exporting emails from Windows Live Mail to Outlook 365 on the same machine.

I do the export in Windows Live Mail 2012, select "Exchange", select the folders I want to export, it looks like it exports them correctly (it counts through all the emails), but when I fire up Outlook, the folders are there BUT THEY'RE ALL EMPTY.

Can someone please help??

Sunday, June 7, 2015 8:32 PM

Answers

• Hi,

Which version of Outlook are you using? You must be using the 32-bit version of Outlook to make the process to work.

Please look for a folder which is named after the account name that you have configured in Windows Live Mail. If any, expand the folder to see if you can see your emails.

If above doesn't apply, please right-click on the empty folder, select Properties > Synchronization tab, and then check under "Statistics for this folder" heading to see if the folder contains some items. If so, it means there is some filter or view settings applied to the folder. We can try to restart Outlook with /cleanviews switch to fix the issue. To do this, press Windows key + R to open the Run command, type outlook /cleanviews and press Enter.

Please let me know the result.

Regards,

Steve Fan
    TechNet Community Support

It's recommended to download and install Configuration Analyzer Tool (OffCAT), which is developed by Microsoft Support teams. Once the tool is installed, you can run it at any time to scan for hundreds of known issues in Office programs.

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help, and unmark the answers if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Monday, June 8, 2015 8:30 AM

All replies

• Hi,

Which version of Outlook are you using? You must be using the 32-bit version of Outlook to make the process to work.

Please look for a folder which is named after the account name that you have configured in Windows Live Mail. If any, expand the folder to see if you can see your emails.

If above doesn't apply, please right-click on the empty folder, select Properties > Synchronization tab, and then check under "Statistics for this folder" heading to see if the folder contains some items. If so, it means there is some filter or view settings applied to the folder. We can try to restart Outlook with /cleanviews switch to fix the issue. To do this, press Windows key + R to open the Run command, type outlook /cleanviews and press Enter.

Please let me know the result.

Regards,

Steve Fan
    TechNet Community Support

It's recommended to download and install Configuration Analyzer Tool (OffCAT), which is developed by Microsoft Support teams. Once the tool is installed, you can run it at any time to scan for hundreds of known issues in Office programs.

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help, and unmark the answers if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Monday, June 8, 2015 8:30 AM
  • Hi,

If i am not wrong then you are exporting email folders from Windows Live Mail to Outlook 365 means you are exporting Windows Live Mail (*.eml files) into Office 365 means (.pst file). 

Then surely you are in need of an tool which helps you to export your EML mails in PST folder, so that you can import it into Office 365 directly, so many third-party SW are available in market, use one of them. After the conversion process you are import your converted PST files into Office 365 environment, see the process in accurate manner

https://support.office.com/en-us/article/Use-network-upload-to-import-PST-files-to-Office-365-103f940c-0468-4e1a-b527-cc8ad13a5ea6

Thumps Up.

Tuesday, January 24, 2017 7:14 PM
  • Excellent utility Windows Live Mail to Outlook  PST Converter Software is suitable for preview Windows Live Mail to Outlook files from many email clients and also convert Windows Live Mail to Outlook format including overall information.It also convert Windows Live Mail, Outlook Express, Mozilla Thunderbird and Apple email and uses EML to PST file format.This software is well compatible with Outlook Outlook 97, 98, 2000, 2002, 2003, 2010, 2007 and 2013 and 2016. To download visit:-  http://www.datavare.com/software/eml-to-pst-converter-expert.html

Tuesday, December 5, 2017 9:04 AM
  • Hi as per your need i want to tell you one thing that now its not possible to install Window live mail or its not safe as before because Microsoft officially stop support for this product in this case you need to access your eml file so why don't you try Microsoft outlook, in latest version of outlook 2016 and 2019 you can easily view eml file. If you want to store eml file as a part of outlook or use as .pst file then try any third party tool like EML to PST Converter, there are plenty of commercial eml to pst converter available on internet try one of them. okay now time for share my point of view about commercial product yes they are pretty good when you have large bunches of data, recently i have read and heard some Genuine Reviews About Datavare EML to PST Converter tool :- https://www.softakel.com/blog/top-5-eml-to-pst-converter-for-smoth-and-safe-migration.html
    Friday, October 5, 2018 4:22 AM
  • <g class="gr_ gr_7 gr-alert gr_gramm gr_hide gr_inline_cards gr_run_anim Grammar" data-gr-id="7" id="7">A number of cause</g> can be behind this difficult of Exporting email folders from Windows Live Mail to Outlook 365 results in empty folders. Not stress, first of all, check your folder is there all the emails store and if the emails are there properly then next I will suggest using third-party app who quickly move to you EML data into PST format because manual methods are very lengthy and risky for data transfer. In such condition, we look the data are not shifting properly any worry and try EML to PST Converter Tool who safely switch to your data from Windows Live Mail into PST format. Get more info: https://www.gaintools.com/eml/pst/

Friday, March 1, 2019 4:24 AM
  • I have the same problem 365 caused me to lose my folders
    Saturday, May 11, 2019 9:14 PM
  • A fast and error free software from EML to PST With this effective application, you will be able to migrate EML to PST in few clicks. This EML to PST Converter Tool provides you free trial with 10 emails. It’s to perform quick and safe transferring of EML to PST files all the time. More info click here:- https://www.toolsground.com/eml-to-pst-converter/

Saturday, June 1, 2019 9:18 AM
  • Hi,

You have tried manual method but could not succeed then you can try this solution that can export your windows live mail emails into pst and then you can easily import them in outlook 365 without any error. Few time ago, I did this and also used this solution. It can directly convert windows live mail emails to pst for Outlook 365 Web Account.

If you have collected .eml files from Windows Live Mail then you can go with this. it may help you to over come from the circumstance. https://www.pcvare.com/eml-to-pst-converter.html

• Edited by makeduen1 Monday, June 3, 2019 9:49 AM
    Monday, June 3, 2019 9:46 AM
  • Hii

Hope you are doing well.

In data conversion world, there are always two methods to get the job done. First is manual method which totally fine and yet very complex. Second is automatic method which is done by some third party tool. The only difference is that manual methods is very complex and time consuming for all users and there are very high chances for data corruption. So if you cannot able to solve you data queries by manual method then I will recommend you to opt for second and easy way which is Automatic method.

Automatic method are not time consuming and it can complete your work in just some clicks. Always choose manual method if you know its component deeply or if your data doesn't important to you.

In my opinion, try tools of IGNISSTA Software Company because of my personal experience.

Want to convert EML to PST or merge and split files, they have all types of software.

Thanks! Hope it might help.

• Proposed as answer by leena01Banned Wednesday, July 24, 2019 9:38 AM
    Wednesday, July 24, 2019 9:31 AM
  • Mac Window Live Mail to PST Converter software is an effective and reliable software provides impeccable convert. This application converts all data in bulk without any disturbance WLM files into Outlook PST. And then you can easily move your PST file in Office 365. It supports all versions of Mac.

For more information: toolscrunch.com/mac-eml-to-pst-converter.html

Tuesday, August 13, 2019 7:58 AM
  • Easily to Migrate Windows Live Mail to PST file. Try this MailsClick Windows Live Mail to PST Converter Software. This software help migrates Windows Live Mail to PST file format. Convert Windows Live Mail file to PST Tool supported all versions of MS Outlook and Windows. This application converts Windows Live Mail to PST file format in bulk. Visit her for more Info : - https://www.mailsclick.com/convert-eml-file/
    Wednesday, February 5, 2020 4:52 PM
  • If you tried exporting email folders from Windows Live Mail to Outlook 365 results in empty folders, then here i m recommending you to go with Windows Live Mail to Office 365 converter instated of manual process . Tool will let you import all all data from Windows Live Mail to Office 365 could account including contacts, calendars, mails, mailboxes, task, notes, folder/sub-folders, etc. Download tool for free: https://www.cubexsoft.com/windows-live-mail/office-365.html

Friday, July 31, 2020 2:02 PM
  • Its look like you tried lots for method in order to import Windows Live mail to Outlook PST, but you failed to import Windows Live mail [EML] files into Outlook.

One thing you need to remember, Outlook support .pst file, and you have .eml file. It is clear that you need to convert .eml files into .pst format so that you easily import converted PST files into Outlook. Now the question arise "how to convert .eml files into PST?".  Surely i know you don't have any idea how to convert EML file into PST.

I suggest go for EML to PST converter tool that allow multiple Windows live mail file conversion.

Read more: Windows live mail to Outlook 

Saturday, August 8, 2020 5:58 AM