Cannot display the folder. Outlook cannot access the specified folder location. Could not open the item. Try again. RRS feed

• Question

• One of our users has an issue with open shared mailboxes. They will get from time to time the below message for some of the shared mailboxes they have access to. Closing and re-opening Outlook resolves the issue. I reduced the number of shared mailboxes that the user has access to, but the issue still occurs from time to time.

I have ran the below command and it shows the user has access to 157 folders. I am presuming this doesn't include shared mailboxes. Is there a way to check how many folders in total the user has access to which includes shared mailbox folders? Or are there any logs I can check when the issue occurs to see what is going on?

Get-MailboxFolderStatistics -Identity user@domain.com | Measure-Object | Select-Object -ExcludeProperty count

Cannot display the folder. Outlook cannot access the specified folder location. Could not open the item. Try again.

Wednesday, August 14, 2019 3:33 PM

Answers

All replies

• Hi Craig,

Please try exiting Outlook desktop client and see if the issue can be reproduced on the web mail.

According to my research, if you receive the "Cannot display the folder.  Microsoft Outlook cannot access the specified folder location" error, you typically need to rename or delete your .ost file.  

1. In Outlook, click File > Account Settings > Data Files to find the location of your OST file. Then close Outlook.
    2. Go to the path of OST file, delete or rename the OST file.
    3. Restart your Outlook client, a new OST file will be created.

If the issue persists, please try creating and using a new Outlook profile via Control Panel > Mail > Show profile and see if there is any difference.

Hope this can be helpful.

Regards,

Aidan Wang

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Thursday, August 15, 2019 3:09 AM
  • I don't think this is a corrupted OST. I would expect that the shared mailboxes would not be accessible permanently. Like I have said the shared mailboxes are able to be accessed again if you close and reopen the users mailbox leading me to believe that Outlook is hitting some sort of limit either locally in the client or Exchange. Are there any logs locally in Outlook I can monitor to see what is happening here when the issue re-occurs?
    Thursday, August 15, 2019 8:02 AM
  • Hi Craig,

Thanks for your reply.

It is suggested to try recreating OST file.

>> Are there any logs locally in Outlook I can monitor to see what is happening here when the issue re-occurs?

For your reference: How to enable global and advanced logging for Microsoft Outlook.

Regards,

Aidan Wang

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Friday, August 16, 2019 8:12 AM
  • Try changing the outlook profile from offline to online mode using the below steps to rectify the issue with shared mailbox in outlook if user has got full access over the shared mailbox.

Also if both the user and the shared mailbox are on the same platform(either on-prem or cloud)

File>Account settings>account settings>it would show your email address, double click on your email address.

you will find a check box ticked next to cache mode... untick that box and next>finish.

Restart your outlook and then test the same

Kindly mark it as answer if that helped

Saturday, August 17, 2019 5:38 PM
  • Hi Craig,

Have you got the issue fixed?

I'm writing to see if the reply above is helpful to you. If yes, would you mind helping mark the reply as answer? So that others who might have a similar question can benefit from your thread? Thanks for your understanding and support.

Regards,

Aidan Wang

Monday, August 19, 2019 9:35 AM
  • I haven't been able to replicate the issue yet, but thanks for your help.
    Wednesday, August 21, 2019 8:18 PM