none
DAG IP During Maintenance RRS feed

• Question

• Hi, I've been experiencing a slight issue with our Exchange 2013 DAG for around a year now, I'm pretty sure before it has been behaving itself and allowing seamless client transfer between servers. When I switch the server running as the Primary Active Manager over to a different Exchange server all our clients get disconnected from Outlook - their accounts start locking out as well but I think this is a separate issue as we use DOMAIN\Username rather than email address. Once the clients perform 'ipconfig /flushdns' then their connection is restored.

I think the issue is coming from the fact that when I ping the Exchange server currently running as the Primary Active Manager I get the DAG IP returned, rather than the server's static IP.

Is this by design or is there some way of telling the Exchange server or DNS to respond primarily on it's static IP?

Thanks

Thursday, September 12, 2019 9:02 AM

Answers

• Hi, typically after posting this I found the answer in another TechNet post:

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/exchange/en-US/3c0143d7-746c-43e8-866c-17f516df9de1/dag-ip-stealing-dns-entry?forum=exchange2010

• Marked as answer by AndyH16 Friday, September 13, 2019 8:13 AM
    Friday, September 13, 2019 8:13 AM

All replies

• Hi

Check the settings in Network. make sure your main NIC is on the top of the list and the replication nic at the bottom.

Do you have multiple IP's in DNS that will respond? if you ping the dag name it should reply with its IP and the server name should reply with its ip.

Hope this helps. Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.

Thursday, September 12, 2019 6:32 PM
  • Hi, typically after posting this I found the answer in another TechNet post:

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/exchange/en-US/3c0143d7-746c-43e8-866c-17f516df9de1/dag-ip-stealing-dns-entry?forum=exchange2010

• Marked as answer by AndyH16 Friday, September 13, 2019 8:13 AM
    Friday, September 13, 2019 8:13 AM
  • Hi,

Glad to hear that. Your reply may help other community members who have similar issue to find the useful suggestion.

Thanks for your sharing. 

Regards,

Lydia Zhou

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Friday, September 13, 2019 9:51 AM