none
Exchange 2010 keeps loosing indexing so we need to reindex mailbox databaeses RRS feed

• Question

• Hi All

We have a problem with exchange 2010 (got all the updates and rolups) where now and then people loosing ability to search they emails (NOT a local issue, test-exchangesearch fails) and we have to re index mailbox databases by running ResetSearchIndex.ps1 .

Can anybody point me in the right direction to find why it is happening - which logs do I need to search and what to look for etc. Maybe somebody had similar issue and managed to resolve it.

Thanks 

Friday, September 14, 2018 9:46 AM

All replies

• Hi,

If the existing indexing is not getting repaired, you can try to recreate it as fresh. It seems reset index do not repair the index files.

Please mark as an answer if this answers your question .

PREM RANA

MCSE Exchange 2013, MCSA 2012 Server MCTS Exchange 2007,

2010, MCITP Exchange 2007, 2010 MCSE 2003 Server,

MCSA Exchange 2003 ITIL V3 Foundation

https://ranaprem.wordpress.com/

This posting is provided AS IS with no warranties and confers no rights.

Friday, September 14, 2018 9:50 AM
  • Hi,

What errors did you get when running test-exchangesearch? 

We could try to manually rebuild the search index instead of running scripts. Here are the steps:

1> Stop the Microsoft Exchange Search Indexer service. Run Stop-Service MSExchangeSearch if you are into Shell.
    2> Browse to where the database files are located on the disk. Along with the database file, you will see a folder with “CatalogData-random string” as its name. Delete this folder, which stores the corrupt index.
    3> Restart the Microsoft Exchange Search Indexer service. Run Start-Service MSExchangeSearch if you are into Shell.
    4> Give it a minute and a new folder will be created and a new index will be built.

To find the issue cause:

1. Please run the following command to get the database status:

Get-MailboxDatabaseCopyStatus "<DBName>" | fl 

2. Use the CI Troubleshooter. For details, see Exchange 2010 SP1: The Troubleshooters.

Regards,

Manu Meng

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Click here to learn more. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about Microsoft Teams.

Monday, September 17, 2018 7:36 AM
  • Hi,

Just checking in to see if above information was helpful. Please let us know if you would like further assistance.

Regards, 

Manu Meng

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Click here to learn more. Visit the dedicated forum to shareexplore and talk to experts about Microsoft Teams.

Friday, September 21, 2018 4:15 AM
  • I can repair indexing with ResetSearchIndex.ps1, but it brakes again after a few days (usually after weekend) and I just cannot find what is causing it (no error in the eventlog)
    Monday, October 29, 2018 10:21 AM
  • Any other suggestions? Its still happening :/
    Thursday, June 6, 2019 8:59 AM
  • A bit of an update - I have raised logging level and now see following warning in Apps events:

Event ID 119

Source: MSExchange Search Indexer

A stagnation of events in the notification queue has been detected for database MBD02. The number of notifications waiting in queue for more than 1800 seconds are 212, starting from watermark 6107000 and ending at watermark 6107808. These are being added to retry list. The current age of last notification indexed is 18

Googeled it but have not found much info

Tuesday, June 11, 2019 8:44 AM