DFS - The namespace cannot be queried. Element not found. RRS feed

• Question

• I recently ran dcpromo on a DC to demote the server. The DC had been replicating with a second DC, which was able to pull up and view the DFS shares with the DFS manager as was a file server that was able to view the shares as well and also hosted the shares configured in DFS.

Since demoting the first DC, whenever I try to pull up the DFS manager on any of these servers, I am able to see the namespace, but when I select it, I get the error - “The namespace cannot be queried. Element not found.”

How can I restore the namespace? It’s on a test network that does not have backups.

I only have a few shares configured within DFS, would it make more sense to just rebuild DFS? I’ve tried doing that already though with the same name, but can’t as the name exists. Could rebuilding cause a problem with my SYSVOL and NETLOGON shares?

Wednesday, September 9, 2015 3:37 PM

Answers

• Hi,

Whether the demoted DC is a namespace server of affected DFS namespace?

If the second DC is also a namespace server, try to disable Windows Firewall on it and see DFS namespace will back to work. 

If it is the only namespace server, you will fail to queried the namespace anymore (but generally the error should be "RPC server is unavailable" instead of "Element not found").

Also as you cannot bring the namespace server (demoted DC) back, you will have to recreate the DFS namespace - you should first find it in AD with ADSI Edit, delete the DFS namespace from AD so that will can able to recreate it.

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and un-mark them if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Friday, September 11, 2015 5:51 AM