Advanced Sharing Settings Changed with 1709 Update, Disrupting Existing Mapped Drive Functionality RRS feed

• Question

• The Win 10 Fall Creators Update (1709) changes two 'Advanced sharing settings' in the Network and Sharing Center under 'All Networks':  Public Folder Sharing is turned off, and Password Protected Sharing is turned on.  Drives that were mapped prior to the update no longer function after the update, causing users to call for technical support.  The resolution is to revert the two settings to their original values on each affected computer in the network.

We have just under 1000 customers, and our average customer has three networked computers on which our Access database-based software application is installed.  Each 1709 update prompts a tech support call to our company, requiring us to remote into customers' computer(s) and make the required changes.  Our typical customer is not computer-savvy, so publishing a solution alert wouldn't work.  We are aware that other third-party software companies have advised their customers to avoid installing the 1709 update.

My question is, why did Microsoft take the decision to make these changes, knowing that there would be a high probability of disrupting existing installed systems, and knowing too that the resolution to those disruptions would be for the affected customer to call not Microsoft, but a third-party?  This seems incredibly unfair to third-parties, given that we've already spent a good deal of time installing and configuring our applications to work in our customers' environments.  After the update, the customer calls us, because our application has stopped working.

Is this going to continue with future Windows Updates?

Pete

Wednesday, January 10, 2018 8:31 PM

All replies

• Hi Pete,

After installed feature upgrade(differ from security update), Windows system settings will be reset, Fall Creators Update belongs to feature upgrade, therefore your Network and Sharing Center Settings change to default.

Navigate to: Local Computer Policy, User Configuration, Administrative Templates, Windows Components, and Network Sharing.

In the details pane, double-click Prevent users from sharing files within their profile.

To disable the Group Policy setting, and enable the user's ability to share files, click Disabled.

Check this article to Turn Off Password Protected Sharing In Windows 10

https://www.kapilarya.com/how-to-turn-off-password-protected-sharing-in-windows-10

Please Note: Since the website is not hosted by Microsoft, the link may change without notice. Microsoft does not guarantee the accuracy of this information.

Regards

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Friday, January 12, 2018 7:18 AM
  • So are you saying that if I had made appropriate changes to settings in gpedit.msc (for professional versions of Windows prior to Win 10) or lusrmgr.msc in Win 10, the Network and Sharing Center settings would not have been changed by the installation of a feature upgrade?  And what about Home versions of Windows prior to 10?

Pete

Saturday, January 13, 2018 8:19 AM
  • Just to be clear, the question I'm asking is, "What do we need to do in setting up and configuring our application on customers' computers to prevent Windows Updates from making networking changes that disrupt our application?"  Thanks in advance for any insight.

Pete

Monday, January 15, 2018 7:55 PM
  • Hi Pete

I have the same problem but only about 150 customers. Two or three PC's using a Mapped Network drive, and it seems that every Windows 10 update sometimes converts a Private Network connection to Public. But in nearly every case turns on Password protected sharing when we have turned it off for our application to work.

Did you get an answer to how can we configure Windows 10 used in a small WORKGROUP to keep its network settings during an update?

Regards 

Chris

Sunday, February 25, 2018 7:22 PM
  • Chris,

I have not received an answer.  We called Microsoft to see if there is anything that can be done to prevent the behavior, and the answer was, "That's the way major updates work."

Pete

Pete

Wednesday, February 28, 2018 4:34 AM
  • I know this is an old thread but just incase anyone comes across this an easy (not totally secure but ok for small networks) fix is to run gpedit.msc

then go to computer configuration/administrative templates\network\lanman workstation\enable insecure guest logins and enable the policy. 

Close and run gpupdate /force

You should be good to go. 

Oh and you need to do this on the machine that is the workstation. 

Tuesday, July 3, 2018 11:31 PM
  • Hi.
    I too am seeking a way to prevent Windows Update modifying the option "Turn Off password-protected sharing" under the Advanced sharing settings for All networks.
    Often after running a Windows update, this option get turned back to ON, and is undesirable for the environments I am supporting.
    I would like to see if there is away to prevent Windows updates turning this option back to ON, or create a Powershell or bat script to set the option to turn it back to OFF.
    This is for Windows 10 Pro PCs running Peer to Peer, and not on a domain.

Thanks for any help or comments.

Monday, April 15, 2019 8:23 AM