none
Excel Does Not Prompt For Password

Question

• Hi.  I have an xlsm file that I've added a password to open and saved it to a networked drive using Excel 2010.  Some users try to open the file using Excel 2007 (both Windows XP and Window 7) but it doesn't prompt them for the password and nothing opens but a blank Excel with no worksheet.  Other users with Excel 2007 and the same operating systems can open the file as expected.  I don't have another user with Excel 2010 to test if they can open the file.  We have two identical laptops bought at the same time with the same Windows 7 setup.  MS Office 2007 was installed on both of them.  One of them can open the Excel file in question and the other cannot.  It has nothing to do with macro security settings because I've disabled it and the file does not open.

Does anyone have any suggestions as to what I can do to get this working correctly?

Tuesday, December 27, 2011 4:07 PM

All replies

• Open you worksheet , chage it at your wish, and do not choose "Save", choose "Save As" instead.

Next window (the Save As window) you'll see a command (Tools), chose the "general Options", apply the passwords to "open" the file, and/or to "Modify" the file, confirm and click ok.

Then click Save in the (save as Window), it will pop up a box questioning if you want to replace the existing file, click Yes.

If everything went ok, it will be necessáry to type the password to open and/or to modify the file.

Regards,

Renatoabc

• Edited by renatoabc Friday, December 30, 2011 5:16 PM
    Wednesday, December 28, 2011 4:25 PM
  • Sorry, let me attempt to clarify.

What you suggested is what was already done.  I've already added a 'Password to open' to the file.

The issue is that the file only prompts some users for a password (which they enter and the file opens fine).  Other users attempt to open the same file from the network and it does not prompt for a password at all and the file does not open, nothing happens.

Tuesday, January 03, 2012 6:00 PM
  • Has anyone encountered this issue before?  I can't seem to resolve it and I can't find any answers on the internet.

Friday, January 20, 2012 1:24 PM
  • This is a rare situation. Do you can rewrite/export Worksheets/code and references this file to new one. Mayby its damaged.
    Oskar Shon, Office System MVP

Press if Helpful; Answer when a problem solved

Saturday, January 21, 2012 10:04 PM
  • This is a rare situation. Do you can rewrite/export Worksheets/code and references this file to new one. Mayby its damaged.
    Oskar Shon, Office System MVP

Press if Helpful; Answer when a problem solved

I haven't tried your suggestion but what I can say is that I removed the password prtection from the file all together and asked a different user to add the password protection using his PC which has Office 2007 and Windows 7. After he added it, everything worked as it should. I get prompted to enter the password as does everyone else.

If I add the password protection using my PC which has Office 2010 and Windows Vista, the problem occurs again leading me to believe that the issue isn't the file itself but some sort of permission issue??

Monday, January 23, 2012 1:01 PM
  • It looks like nobody has a solution for this one.

• Proposed as answer by Dan Forhan Wednesday, March 28, 2012 2:20 PM
    • Unproposed as answer by Dan Forhan Wednesday, March 28, 2012 2:20 PM
    Monday, February 06, 2012 7:13 PM
  • So I just had the same issue you were having, with a file created in excel 2010 and password protected there. 

Download the 2007 compatibility pack to fix the issue. This resolved the same issue for me

http://www.microsoft.com/download/en/details.aspx?id=3

Wednesday, March 28, 2012 2:22 PM
  • So I just had the same issue you were having, with a file created in excel 2010 and password protected there. 

Download the 2007 compatibility pack to fix the issue. This resolved the same issue for me

http://www.microsoft.com/download/en/details.aspx?id=3

But this download is for Office 2003 or older.  I am using Office 2010 and the users who are experiencing the problem are using Office 2007.
    • Proposed as answer by Desktop Tech Wednesday, August 08, 2012 9:31 AM
    Wednesday, March 28, 2012 2:33 PM
  • I seem to be encountering the same problem with some specific passworded Excel files which are being e-mailed to me by someone who I believe is using Excel 2010.

I can open these files on one PC (running Windows 7 & Excel 2007) (let me call this my Good PC) but not on another PC (again running Windows 7 & Excel 2007) (which I shall call my Bad PC). On the Bad PC it will not prompt me for the password and therefore, despite trying everything I can think of, I cannot find a way of opening the files directly on that PC.

To try to narrow down the area of problem I have opened the file on my Good PC and saved to a memory stick to see whether the problem is in some way down to how Excel 2010/Excel 2007 saves files. However, when I try to open the memory stick file on the Bad PC, the same problem persists – no prompt for a password.

I then tried saving the file from the Good PC onto the memory stick in Excel 2003 format and I found I could open that fine on the Bad PC. It prompted for the password as I would expect and duly opened the file.

I then tried removing the password on the Good PC saving the file on the memory stick, opening the saved un-passworded file up again and re-saving it by re-introducing the original password. That worked fine – again when I opened that file on the Bad PC it duly prompted for the password and then opened the file.

I am no nearer finding a solution to opening the file directly on the Bad PC but it is looking to me as if the problem may lay in the way Excel 2010 applies a password but someone with more technical knowledge that me would need to take it from here.

Sunday, April 29, 2012 2:02 PM
  • I seem to be encountering the same problem with some specific passworded Excel files which are being e-mailed to me by someone who I believe is using Excel 2010.

I can open these files on one PC (running Windows 7 & Excel 2007) (let me call this my Good PC) but not on another PC (again running Windows 7 & Excel 2007) (which I shall call my Bad PC). On the Bad PC it will not prompt me for the password and therefore, despite trying everything I can think of, I cannot find a way of opening the files directly on that PC.

To try to narrow down the area of problem I have opened the file on my Good PC and saved to a memory stick to see whether the problem is in some way down to how Excel 2010/Excel 2007 saves files. However, when I try to open the memory stick file on the Bad PC, the same problem persists – no prompt for a password.

I then tried saving the file from the Good PC onto the memory stick in Excel 2003 format and I found I could open that fine on the Bad PC. It prompted for the password as I would expect and duly opened the file.

I then tried removing the password on the Good PC saving the file on the memory stick, opening the saved un-passworded file up again and re-saving it by re-introducing the original password. That worked fine – again when I opened that file on the Bad PC it duly prompted for the password and then opened the file.

I am no nearer finding a solution to opening the file directly on the Bad PC but it is looking to me as if the problem may lay in the way Excel 2010 applies a password but someone with more technical knowledge that me would need to take it from here.

Exactly the same problem I have.  I also believe it has something to do with Excel 2010.  I can't find an answer anywhere.
    Monday, April 30, 2012 11:07 AM
  • I just experienced the same problem on my PC with an .xlsx 2010 document stored on the server. Based on the feedback above, I opened the document on another PC and received the prompt for the password. I resaved the file on that PC and then reopened on my PC and it again prompted me for the password. I have since resaved this document multiple times on my PC and it still prompts for the password, thus appears to be corrected. The only difference I have found in the 2 PCs is that the other PC shows the properties of the document as Type: Microsoft Excel 2007 Workbook, while my PC shows properties as Type: Microsoft Excel Worksheet. Both PCs are running Windows XP Professional Version 2002.
    Monday, June 04, 2012 6:14 PM
  • I just experienced the same problem on my PC with an .xlsx 2010 document stored on the server. Based on the feedback above, I opened the document on another PC and received the prompt for the password. I resaved the file on that PC and then reopened on my PC and it again prompted me for the password. I have since resaved this document multiple times on my PC and it still prompts for the password, thus appears to be corrected. The only difference I have found in the 2 PCs is that the other PC shows the properties of the document as Type: Microsoft Excel 2007 Workbook, while my PC shows properties as Type: Microsoft Excel Worksheet. Both PCs are running Windows XP Professional Version 2002.
    I guess the problem is so rare that not many people are actually experiencing it.
    Monday, June 04, 2012 6:19 PM
  • I guess the problem is so rare that not many people are actually experiencing it.

Maybe it is rare, but I have a user who has the same problem with an Excel 2003 workbook when everybody else is prompted to enter a password or to select read-only mode.  The interesting thing is that it happens on two machines that she uses.  If other users use these machines the prompting works as expected.  Furthermore, I created a test password protected Excel 2010 workbook for her and she isn't prompted for a password for this either.

The affected user has read/write permissions to the network directory in which the problem workbooks are located.

This suggests to me that there is some kind of profile problem for this user, but I'm not sure where to look next.

Thursday, June 07, 2012 2:14 PM
  • Maybe it is rare, but I have a user who has the same problem with an Excel 2003 workbook when everybody else is prompted to enter a password or to select read-only mode.  The interesting thing is that it happens on two machines that she uses.  If other users use these machines the prompting works as expected.  Furthermore, I created a test password protected Excel 2010 workbook for her and she isn't prompted for a password for this either.

The affected user has read/write permissions to the network directory in which the problem workbooks are located.

This suggests to me that there is some kind of profile problem for this user, but I'm not sure where to look next.

That's as far as I got with this issue.  I think it has something to do with the permissions and or profile setup of specific users.  In my case, there's probably something to do with my setup (although I'm the only user with Office 2010).  I add the protection and nobody gets prompted for the password.  Someone else adds the protection and everyone gets prompted for the password.
    Thursday, June 07, 2012 2:38 PM
  • Hi

I had been having the same issue with one of my users. We both have Excel 2007 installed and he couldn't open the .XLSX spreadsheet but I could. I repaired office, reset reg keys, etc but when the user logged onto another PC it worked fine. I concluded the issue was confined locally to his PC. As someone suggested already the issue (for me at least) was related to the Office 2007 converter Pack. I removed this and reinstalled the Microsoft Office Compatibility Pack Service Pack 2 (SP2) - http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=12439.

This fixed it for me. It contains a load of patch files which resolve several issues.

Wednesday, August 08, 2012 9:38 AM
  • check this link this may help you out

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/office/forum/office_2007-excel/password-prompt-does-not-come-up-when-opening/d1504aab-baa3-4bfb-9bf9-417271d96d56

Wednesday, August 08, 2012 5:25 PM
  • check this link this may help you out

http://www.excelforum.com/excel-programming-vba-macros/562278-solved-unprotecting-sheet-did-not-prompt-for-password.html

Thursday, August 09, 2012 7:23 AM
  • I am facing the same problem as described.

May be there is something to change in privacy and sharing , tried it but was unable to find the answer.

Request all to send me the solution if someone gets it through.

Regards,

Neerav

neerav.galathia@gmail.com

Monday, August 13, 2012 6:38 AM
  • We just ran into this same issue.  The Excel spreadsheet was being saved by an Office 2007 user and emailing to several users with 2003 and an old Compatibility Pack (file date was 2007...so maybe version 1?).  After the password prompt, they would get the message about being unable to open the file, file conversion failed.  Tried opening the file on an Office 2007 machine, and that one didn't even get the password prompt, and just a blank spreadsheet.

Uninstalled the Compatibility Pack on the 2003 machine, installed the latest (version 4, file size 37,900 kb), rebooted, and then the file opened correctly.

Monday, August 13, 2012 8:35 PM
  • I know that it’s an old post, but now I have this situation, in my case I installed office service pack 3, and the problem solved, I tried on Windows 7 SP1, and on Windows XP SP2 with Office 2007, both worked properly with Office SP3.

Regards,

• Proposed as answer by erickrause1 Wednesday, September 11, 2013 7:05 PM
    Thursday, June 06, 2013 4:34 PM
  • This worked for me.  Thanks.
    Wednesday, September 11, 2013 7:06 PM