none
Does Fax Mail Transport exist in Outlook 2010

Question

• Does Fax mail transport still exist in Outlook 2010? If so where is the option?
    Saturday, February 13, 2010 7:38 AM

All replies

• File tab, Account settings, Add. If your computer has a fax driver, fax will be listed under other accounts. (mine does, win7)

Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook]
    Outlook Tips: http://www.outlook-tips.net/
    Outlook & Exchange Solutions Center: http://www.slipstick.com
    Saturday, February 13, 2010 1:33 PM
  • Interesting..
    I'm running Windows 2008 R2 Server w/ the Fax Role installed per instructions in the Help file with Outlook 2010 x64 Beta connected to an Exchange 2010 server. There is no option for Fax Mail Transport..

Account Settings -> New
    Gives me:
    "Auto Account Setup"
    Email Settings
    Text Messaging
    Manually configure Server Settings or Server Types

Manually configure Server Settings or Server Types gives me:
    Internet Mail
    Microsoft Exchange
    Text Messaging

I can use the Windows Fax and Scan Wizard & Fax Printer to send faxes, but I can't fax from Outlook 2010 Beta like I did w/ Outlook 2007 and Windows 2003 Server R2 x64

Thoughts?
    Sunday, February 14, 2010 12:16 AM
  • It may not work with the fax server.  Or the x64 build doesn;t work with it - many addins will need to be recompiled to work with the 64bit build. I;m usng win7 and outlook x32.

Outlook Tips: http://www.outlook-tips.net/
    Outlook & Exchange Solutions Center: http://www.slipstick.com
    Sunday, February 14, 2010 1:24 AM
  • I've confirmed that x64 Outlook 2010 RTM does NOT have Fax Mail Transport.
    Tuesday, May 18, 2010 6:26 PM
  • Thank you Ann. After finding your post, I was able to send a fax to a fax machine using nothing but Outlook 2010 and my fax modem within minutes. It is outrageous that Microsoft has failed to provide instructions either within the Outlook 2010 helpfile or on their support site. It took fifteen minutes of clicking on creatively-worded Google search links before I found your post. The "trick," which your post instructs how to do, is that you have to configure the Fax Mail Transport as an account in Outlook, and then send the email-faxes from that account and not your regular email address. I never would have figured this out alone. Again, thanks.

• Edited by pronco Tuesday, April 24, 2012 4:45 PM
    Tuesday, April 24, 2012 4:38 PM
  • Update as of July 2012:

Outlook 2010 32-bit version (x86) has Fax Mail Transport.  The 64-bit version (x64) does NOT have it, as I said on May 18, 2010.

Outlook 2013 doesn't have it in either version!

The feature has truly been deprecated.  An MVP by the name of Russ Valentine had mentioned this--that it was easier to leave the code in the 32-bit version and not bother messing with adding it in the 64-bit version...

Next thing you know Microsoft will probably remove the Fax role from Windows Server 2012.

...building virtual machine now to see if that is the case...

Tuesday, July 17, 2012 3:20 PM
  • Fax server is still available - http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/jj134193

With so few desktops having fax modems (it wasn't even an option on my newest laptop), desktop faxing is mostly dead. It's either fax servers or fax by email for most of us.  It doesn't make much sense to spend a lot of money supporting it in outlook.  Windows fax and scan is in win8 for those who need it.

Outlook Daily Tips | Outlook & Exchange Solutions Center
    Subscribe to Exchange Messaging Outlook weekly newsletter

Tuesday, July 17, 2012 3:43 PM
  • Hi Diane,

From your link Fax server is still available in Server 2012 (http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/jj134193), but I am not able to found any Fax Mail Transport on my outlook 2010 (32bit).

Can you share light where I can found this setting.

Server 2012 has been configure the Windows & Fax component, and yes it will send fax with no issue there. But I want to send faxes from within outlook 2010, and I am having difficulties setting it up.

Regards,

Dave

Friday, September 21, 2012 3:35 AM
  • if Outlook can see the fax transport, it will be in Account Settings > Email Account > Add. If its not listed under the Other option, that version of the fax transport won't work with outlook.

Friday, September 21, 2012 5:13 AM
  • Yes.. I agree only if outlook can see the Fax mail Transport it will work.

My issue here is that it can't see it, and how do I resolved this issues for Outlook to see it?

I have search for days on the Internet, and I cannot found any answer with Server 2012, all are talking about Server 2003 and 2008/R2.

And my finding also says that it is not Outlook the issues. The OS is required to have Fax Server add in on Windows Components. Microsoft has change Fax Server add in to Windows Fax and Scan, which I have add the role on Server 2012, BUT... I am still not seeing the Fax Mail Transport on Outlook.

Any HELP would be appreciated.

Dave

Friday, September 21, 2012 6:08 AM
  • A server based role does not insure that Outlook can "see" it.

The server is 64bit correct? That's why outlook can't see it - it needs 32 bit server.  This should apply to Server 2012: http://www.slipstick.com/outlook/contacts/contacts-are-not-available-in-fax-and-scan/

Friday, September 21, 2012 1:31 PM
  • Hi Diane,

Tell me why is it working on Server 2008R2 Std running 64 bit?

I don't believe the answer is just that simple it doesn't support 64bit OS, I think Microsoft have forgotten to addin the Fax Mail Transport capability on Server 2012.

Dave

Monday, September 24, 2012 8:01 AM
  • I haven't looked at Windows 2012 - all i know is outlook 2010 32bit includes the fax module and if the fax driver is installed on the OS, you can fax from outlook. If its not working, they changed the fax driver and outlook can't see it.

Monday, September 24, 2012 6:38 PM
  • David,

Do you have Outlook 2010 installed on the actual Server 2012 box?  Or is it installed on a client PC running a client OS (like Windows 7 or 8) on the same domain as the Windows Server 2012 box?

Wednesday, October 10, 2012 7:58 PM
  • Hi Brandon,

I have Outlook 2010 (32bit) installed on Server 2012 (Application Server). Fax server is on another server running SBS 2011. They are all on the same domain.

Server 2012 is hosting as a client OS, with an application that Interact with Outlook. and we required fax client to be run, which usually work with SERVER 2003 and Server 2008.

Friday, October 12, 2012 7:14 AM