WSUS Reports KB3061064 for All Computers RRS feed

• Question

• Sometime this summer, my WSUS server started reporting that KB3061064 (Update Rollup for Skype for Business Server 2015, SmartSetup) was needed for every computer in my organization, which is about 20 including servers and workstations. We do not have a Skype server in our organization, so I thought it was also an update for clients and went ahead and approved it for clients. None of them needed the update. I hesitated to approve it for our servers, but eventually did to see what would happen. Even though WSUS reported it as needed, None of our servers listed it when it checked for updates when I ran Windows Update manually. It looks like WSUS is mistakenly reporting this update. Is anyone else seeing this?
    Wednesday, September 7, 2016 3:59 PM

Answers

• Hi bperry_sc,

Tested in my lab, got the same result. KB3061064 shows as needed by clients, while they do not install skype and clients didn't search this from WSUS server.

There might be something inconsistent between clients' report and the needed rules of the update. Since we are not professional enough to know the detailed report process of how WSUS mark as the update is needed by clients, so, it's hard to give a detailed explanation. If you want to look into it, you may open a case with MS:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/gp/support-options-for-business

As a workaround, you may just decline it and run server cleanup wizard. Fortunately, this mistake won't make much impact on clients.

Best Regards,

Anne

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Thursday, September 8, 2016 3:28 AM

All replies

• Affirmative

KB3061064 is showing as needed for all client computers.

I can't decline the update however is we do have S4B servers on our network... Maybe M$ will re-release this update with the correct filters

Thanks Christoph

Wednesday, September 7, 2016 11:08 PM
  • Hi bperry_sc,

Tested in my lab, got the same result. KB3061064 shows as needed by clients, while they do not install skype and clients didn't search this from WSUS server.

There might be something inconsistent between clients' report and the needed rules of the update. Since we are not professional enough to know the detailed report process of how WSUS mark as the update is needed by clients, so, it's hard to give a detailed explanation. If you want to look into it, you may open a case with MS:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/gp/support-options-for-business

As a workaround, you may just decline it and run server cleanup wizard. Fortunately, this mistake won't make much impact on clients.

Best Regards,

Anne

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Thursday, September 8, 2016 3:28 AM
  • It happened with computers in my company, too.

How did you solve this problem? Did you simply decline the updates ?

Thanks a lot.

Monday, September 12, 2016 12:41 PM
  • Hi EloiseMonsanto,

Since I don't have clients need the update, so I just decline it.

Best Regards,

Anne

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

• Proposed as answer by EloiseMonsanto Friday, September 16, 2016 1:10 PM
    Tuesday, September 13, 2016 2:28 AM

•      

-------- Forwarded Message --------
    Subject: [patchmanagement] KB3061064 titled "update rollup for
                  Skype for Business Server 2015 Smartsetup is listed as
                  being needed by all of my pcs by WSUS.
    Date: Tue, 9 Aug 2016 23:28:36 -0700
    Reply-To: Patch Management Mailing List
                  <patchmanagement@listserv.patchmanagement.org>
    To: Patch Management Mailing List
                  <patchmanagement@listserv.patchmanagement.org>

http://partnersupport.microsoft.com/en-us/mpndataplat/forum/mpncatwinsvr-mpnws2012/kb3061064-titled-update-rollup-for-skype-for/f66eda23-fb07-4cc7-b13a-38c21fcd9cec

[note you must be a MS partner to access that
                link]

My question:

KB3061064 titled "update rollup for Skype for
              Business Server 2015 Smartsetup is listed as being needed by
              all of my pcs by WSUS. 

Can someone check the detection of that update as
              I'm getting multiple reports of this detection and we think
              it's wrong.

Dear Partner,

Basedon my further
                research Skype for Business Server Smart setup is used to
                work with WSUS and customers with WSUS who are deploying
                Skype for Business Server for the first time or upgrading
                from the Lync Server 2013 environment using the In-Place
                Upgrade feature will have Smart Setup fetching Skype for
                Windows updates from WSUS as opposed to fetching updates
                from MU. Customers wanting to use Smart Setup need to run
                the SmartSetupWithWSUS.psq on all the machines before
                running Setup.exe.

For more information you can refer to the following link:

Install Skype
                  for Business Server 2015 on servers in the topology

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dn951417.aspx

If you have any questions, please feel free to
                let me know.

Monday, September 19, 2016 4:34 PM
  • Hi bperry_sc,

This issue seems to be well known, if you have got a workaround, then you may mark useful replies as answer, so that the case can be closed.

Best Regards,

Anne

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Wednesday, September 21, 2016 2:21 AM
  • I still don't think this is an appropriate answer. Why are client OSes (Win 7, 8, 8.1, 10) detecting this as a required update when they will NEVER have SFB Server installed on them?

Thanks Christoph

Wednesday, September 21, 2016 2:25 AM
  • It's being offered to all so that if you are an Enterprise and you want to allow your end users to self install they can.   The name is misleading, it's not a server piece, it's to let the end users setup internal Skype if some enterprise has their own Skype for business server.   Some big customer(s) needs this and the rest of us are going... huh?

Decline it.

Wednesday, September 21, 2016 8:20 PM
  • It's being offered to all so that if you are an Enterprise and you want to allow your end users to self install they can.   The name is misleading, it's not a server piece, it's to let the end users setup internal Skype if some enterprise has their own Skype for business server.   Some big customer(s) needs this and the rest of us are going... huh?

It does seem to be a server piece. The TN doc specifically refers to smartsetup as something that happens when installing SfB server. (Windows does something similar, but that's called Dynamic Update).

It doesn't seem to relate to client at all. And, SfB server can't even be installed on client OS anyway.

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dn951388.aspx#OS

it's all strange. but, lots of MSFT releases are strange these days..

Don [doesn't work for MSFT, and they're probably glad about that ;]

Thursday, September 22, 2016 12:01 AM

Decline it.

I am a big customer, we use SFB Server so I can't decline it.

SmartSetup is a server only piece, but clients are still detecting the update as needed. Very frustrating

Thanks Christoph

Thursday, September 22, 2016 12:05 AM
  • I am a big customer, we use SFB Server so I can't decline it.

SmartSetup is a server only piece, but clients are still detecting the update as needed. Very frustrating

Thanks Christoph

Christoph, as a big customer, it would be worth you considering to log a case with MSFT, to demand a remediation of the detection logic, or, to have MSFT confess their inability to relieve your frustration..

Don [doesn't work for MSFT, and they're probably glad about that ;]

Thursday, September 22, 2016 8:38 AM
  • We're just peons, and I got that answer from the community partner forum.  As Don says, if you are a big customer, you probably have a Technical Account Manager.  Push on them because I/we can only do so much.
    Thursday, September 22, 2016 4:01 PM
  • Whoops, I forgot to reply to this. I eventually declined the update as I saw no other option. It's not a big deal, but I don't know how to submit these types of suspected bugs to Microsoft. I'm not certain which category this falls into for Microsoft Connect.
    • Proposed as answer by Kenny-ssa Tuesday, July 10, 2018 11:23 PM
    • Unproposed as answer by Kenny-ssa Tuesday, July 10, 2018 11:23 PM
    Wednesday, December 21, 2016 7:34 PM