none
Outlook view: SMTP Address of alias in TO Field RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I have an account with primary email address first.lastname@foo.com.

This email address has an alias. Such as bar@foo.com

In Outlook I always only see first.lastname@foo.com in the TO field.  Even if an email was originally sent to bar@foo.com.

I can see the original smtp TO address (bar@foo.com) in Internet Header. 

Is there any possibility to display «TO» from internet header / alias in Outlook Client 2016?

Friday, December 16, 2016 2:22 PM

Answers

All replies

• Hi,

What type of email account are you using? Exchange, POP3 or IMAP?

Does this issue happen to all users in your environment?

Does it display the primary email address when we check the email from the webmail interface? If it also happens in webmail interface, it's more likely a server side issue. You will need to contact your provider to see if there is ant setting can be used to control this behavior.

Regards,

Steve Fan

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped.

If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Monday, December 19, 2016 9:10 AM
  • Hi,

We have on premise Exchange Servers 2016 and have only Name and/or Primary Mail showing in To field.

We added the account in Outlook on first start ("Next, next, finish" so i assume its Exchange, not IMAP or POP3). We have the same Problem using OWA.

I've had mails sent to first.lastname@foo.com and also to bar@foo.com. I never see bar@foo.com anywhere in Outlook or OWA except detailed Header Information of Mail.

All users in our environment have this Problem using Outlook 2016 and/or OWA. Using Outlook 2013 atleast when double clicking mail and then clicking the displayd Name in TO, the correct address was displayed. This is not the case in Outlook 2016. Here always the primary address is displayed.

How should users be able to find out which e-mail address a mail was originally sent to?

Wednesday, December 21, 2016 1:08 PM
  • Thank you for the update. Since this issue continues in OWA, it's more likely that this behavior is not controlled from Outlook side.

Are you using Exchange 2016 when using Outlook 2013 version? Can you still see the alias address if we try to install Outlook 2015 on a test machine and test the issue again?

Regards,

Steve Fan

If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Monday, December 26, 2016 9:44 AM
  • We are always using Exchange 2016 Version 15.1 ‎(Build 466.34)‎.

I've tried with Outlook 2013 and Outlook 2016. As far as i can see it doesn’t matter which Outlook Version I use. I cannot find any possibility to display alias Mail address. It always displays primary smtp.

I would like to see e-mail address a mail was originally sent to. Not only a Name or a primary mail address.

Regards

Tuesday, January 3, 2017 8:28 AM
  • Thank you for the update.

Since the same issue happens in OWA and it happens no matter which Outlook version you are using, I'm afraid it could be an expected behavior or a setting that is controlled via the Exchange server side. I'd recommend you post a new question to the Exchange forum to confirm this:

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/office/en-US/home?forum=Exch2016GD

The reason why we recommend posting appropriately is you will get the most qualified pool of respondents, and other partners who read the forums regularly can either share their knowledge or learn from your interaction with us.

We'd appreciate it if you could update the result in this forum if you find the answer from the other forum. Thank you for your understanding.

Regards,

Steve Fan

Monday, January 9, 2017 2:07 AM
  • I added a new question:

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/office/en-US/935bfad6-4692-420d-8114-45d601c01db1/outlook-view-smtp-address-of-alias-in-to-field?forum=Exch2016GD

Thanks for your help, 

Eve Meier

Monday, January 9, 2017 11:56 AM
  • https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/office/de-DE/7196cf81-7822-48bd-8ac5-96ae46566255/how-to-show-email-address-not-just-name-in-from-and-to-fields?forum=Outlook

It’s not possible. Whatever Microsoft was thinking... very disappointing and aggravating...

I’ve now found a half way suitable workaround by using rules and categorizing by using header information. Sadly, also this only works if mails are sent by external users. internally I have no chance at all to resolve alias sent to because the alias is translated into primary mail before sending.

Regards, Eve Meier

• Proposed as answer by Kantonsschule Zug Tuesday, January 10, 2017 7:58 AM
    • Unproposed as answer by Kantonsschule Zug Tuesday, January 10, 2017 7:58 AM
    • Marked as answer by evepanics Tuesday, January 10, 2017 7:59 AM
    Tuesday, January 10, 2017 7:58 AM