Outlook 2007 .ost file corrupt, nothing major but always slowwww, scanpst.exe daily 3-4 times, IT guru's I've found lost their dummy book, need help on HOW TO REPAIR .OST file FOREVER PLZ... RRS feed

• Question

• I've had many guru's (IT wizards) attempt to try their luck at cleaning or repairing my ".ost data file in Outlook 2007" all to no avail.  Daily routine: run "scanpst.exe" 3-4 times prior to opening outlook, go in for few minutes, exit, run it again which takes "another 3-4 runs" before comes back 'clean', and the first run, take a nap and come back.
    There is nothing 'major' that I can single out, just that it runs very slow at times, hangs, locks up (rarely) and just does not perform as others I've tested within the network.
    Dell server, Windows SBS 2003 SP2, Exchange 2003 SP2, domain... basic setup.  This is very aggravating and frustrating at times to "hurry up and wait" for outlook to come alive.
    I don't know what's corrupt, how bad, just that a little gremlin is running around in there causing havoc.
    PLZ help me find the "TOOL" or fix for this issue... dealing with it for couple years now.  Any help greatly appreciated.
    Mark
    Sunday, December 6, 2009 4:23 AM

Answers

• Where are you storing the OST file? Do you have any other archives trying to be opened? Have you tried to delete and recreate your profile?
    Mark Morowczynski|MCT| MCSE 2003:Messaging, Security|MCITP:ES, SA,EA|MCTS:Windows Mobile Admin|Security+|http://almostdailytech.com
    • Marked as answer by Xiu Zhang Friday, December 18, 2009 9:39 AM
    Sunday, December 6, 2009 5:25 AM
  • Hi,

Please try to configure a new outlook profile and then check the issue again.

Note: When you configure the new outlook profile it will sync with Exchange server to generate a new ost file. 

Besides,do you have large ost file or pst file?

Regards,
    Xiu
    Monday, December 7, 2009 9:35 AM

All replies

• Where are you storing the OST file? Do you have any other archives trying to be opened? Have you tried to delete and recreate your profile?
    Mark Morowczynski|MCT| MCSE 2003:Messaging, Security|MCITP:ES, SA,EA|MCTS:Windows Mobile Admin|Security+|http://almostdailytech.com
    Sunday, December 6, 2009 5:25 AM
  • Hi,

Please try to configure a new outlook profile and then check the issue again.

Note: When you configure the new outlook profile it will sync with Exchange server to generate a new ost file. 

Besides,do you have large ost file or pst file?

Regards,
    Xiu
    Monday, December 7, 2009 9:35 AM
  • Try Exchange ost to pst email conversions software. its recover email items from corrupted offline ost file.

http://www.osttopstemailrecovery.com/

Regards

Exchange Database Administrator

Friday, February 4, 2011 9:59 AM
  •  

steps to take to fix it - Outlook profile related.

Just completely delete your outlook profile from both locations where it is stored in XP / W7, but keep your .Nk2 file you may need that. Once you deleted your outlook profile go into control panel --> mail and delete it from show profiles.  Create a out new profile through the manual process instead of the automated one and afterwards close out of control panel load your outlook profile. After outlook says all folders up to date. press send/receive (F9) a few times and then close your outlook. Open it back up and you should be good.

You may want to run a repair on outlook first before doing the above from add/remove programs  ---> click outlook client ---> change ---repair. which will when done will ask to reboot pc.

*** --- Worst case scenario is to renamed your Windows logon profile and recreate a whole new windows logon profile.

This usually fixes most issues that seem odd or frustating.  Only use a new windows logon profile as a last resort. Lots of your settings will be lost.

Take Care, Vytor
    Friday, February 11, 2011 4:54 PM
  • Vytor, thanks for the info. I'm experiencing a similar issue. I'll try this  as well.
    Friday, February 11, 2011 6:16 PM
  • OST Repair – are you facing error information while access to the offline mode in outlook, if yes then  try OST Repair Tool with the recovered your corrupt OST data items. http://www.ostrepair.net/

OST Fix- when you work well in Outlook 2010 under collaborative environment now some data file crime error in exchange hosting server in this situation you can use Fix OST Tool. http://www.ostfix.com/

Monday, May 7, 2012 4:50 AM
  • hi friend,

OST file corruption is very common and results in outlook email corruption along with other outlook attributes. There are many reasons for ost file corruption.Some of the common reasons are human errors, abrupt system shutdowns, poor network connectivity etc. Hence, in all such cases by using an ost repair software, you can easily repair ost files even if it is heavily corrupted.You can easily download the free trial version of the software also.

Wednesday, May 30, 2012 12:34 PM
  • Hello there,

i have read all the comments but still i would like to add something to it, as OST corruption is the common thing which has to be happened with the Outlook users. But doesn't prove to be a big issue. The OST and PST as well can be repaired if corrupted is because it wont be the avail creating the OST or PST again because it can be time consuming. So to fix corrupt OST is not a big task, this can easily be accomplished by using the third party tool. There are number of tools present online, you can select any one of it. If you find it difficult to choose then better to go with the trail version download link of the software.

Hope this post will be helpful for the Outlook users.

Regards

Branda

Thursday, June 14, 2012 12:45 PM