none
Volume Shadow Copy Service error: Unexpected error CreateFileW(\\?\GLOBALROOT\Device\HarddiskVolumeShadowCopy1\,0x80000000,0x00000003,...). hr = 0x80070001, Incorrect function. RRS feed

• Question

• Creating a restore point fails. The following application error is logged:

Volume Shadow Copy Service error: Unexpected error CreateFileW(\\?\GLOBALROOT\Device\HarddiskVolumeShadowCopy1\,0x80000000,0x00000003,...).  hr = 0x80070001, Incorrect function.

Operation:
       Processing PreFinalCommitSnapshots
    Context:
       Execution Context: System Provider

Before creating the restore point the vss writers are all in a stable state:
    vssadmin list writers

There are no corrupt shadow copies:

vssadmin list shadows
    vssadmin delete shadows /all
    No items found that satisfy the query.

I also removed all hidden storage shadow copies in the device manager.

Tuesday, July 21, 2015 10:04 AM

Answers

• Cause

The problem is caused by the AppleHFS driver which is part of Apple's Bootcamp Services [1].

When upgrading from Windows 8.1 to Windows 10, the system upgrade reinstalls many installed applications. The Bootcamp Services is one of them which has previously been installed. The reason it worked on Windows 8.1 was that the AppleHFS driver was disabled there.

Solution

To remove/disable the AppleHFS driver use the Sysinternal Autoruns tool [2]. 

References

1. https://discussions.apple.com/thread/7140688?start=0&tstart=0
    2. https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/bb963902.aspx
    • Marked as answer by Euclid Wednesday, July 22, 2015 7:33 PM
    Wednesday, July 22, 2015 7:33 PM

All replies

• Hi Euclid,

Do you see "system reserved" partition on disk? If yes, please assign a drive letter to it , run the backup and see if it works.

-Umesh.S.K

Tuesday, July 21, 2015 10:18 AM
  • The drive does not have a system reserved partition. In fact it only has 1 partition (system, boot, active, primary partition).
    • Edited by Euclid Tuesday, July 21, 2015 10:21 AM
    Tuesday, July 21, 2015 10:21 AM
  • Cause

The problem is caused by the AppleHFS driver which is part of Apple's Bootcamp Services [1].

When upgrading from Windows 8.1 to Windows 10, the system upgrade reinstalls many installed applications. The Bootcamp Services is one of them which has previously been installed. The reason it worked on Windows 8.1 was that the AppleHFS driver was disabled there.

Solution

To remove/disable the AppleHFS driver use the Sysinternal Autoruns tool [2]. 

References

1. https://discussions.apple.com/thread/7140688?start=0&tstart=0
    2. https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/bb963902.aspx
    • Marked as answer by Euclid Wednesday, July 22, 2015 7:33 PM
    Wednesday, July 22, 2015 7:33 PM
  • Thank you for sharing the solution!

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and un-mark them if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Thursday, July 23, 2015 1:16 AM
  • This was the exact answer I needed. Thank you so much for posting.
    I finally got my laptop running the way I wanted and tried to take a backup.

It was a MacBook Pro, originally running Windows 7. Then I upgrade to Windows 8. Then to Windows 8.1 and finally to Windows 10. The backups worked fine under Windows 8.1 but failed on Windows 10.Disabling the AppleHFS driver and REBOOTING did the trick.

Tuesday, February 2, 2016 2:15 AM
  • Thanks, Euclid, after trying to resolve this problem in many other suggested ways, this is the only one that nails it. Just to help other users diverting them into here when searching for the same main underlying problem, I'm going to enumerate the different possible issues that are caused by this same AppleHFS problem, all of them, in my case, using Apple Bootcamp (Services):

• Creating a System Restore Point fails with "Failed to create restore point (Process = "C:\WINDOWS\system32\systempropertiesprotection.exe" ; Description = (my restore point); Error = 0x80042306)".
    • Creating a System Image (Backup) fails with "The backup operation that started at '...' has failed because the Volume Shadow Copy Service operation to create a shadow copy of the volumes being backed up failed with following error code '0x8078006B'. Please review the event details for a solution, and then rerun the backup operation once the issue is resolved".

I'm going to also enumerate other different search phrases I sought for until I found the solution above which are all related to the same main underlying problem:

• "Cryptographic Services failed while processing the OnIdentity() call in the System Writer Object. Details:
      AddLegacyDriverFiles: Unable to back up image of binary Microsoft Link-Layer Discovery Protocol. System Error: Access is denied".
    • "Volume Shadow Copy Service error: Unexpected error CreateFileW(\\?\GLOBALROOT\Device\HarddiskVolumeShadowCopy...\,0x80000000,0x00000003,...).  hr = 0x80070001, Incorrect function".

• Edited by LuckyBrain Friday, May 6, 2016 10:03 PM Some LineFeeds to improve formatting and syntax improvements
    Friday, May 6, 2016 9:57 PM