none
Email from one address never arriving RRS feed

• Question

• When one of our customers sends us email they are shown this message, originally thought it was getting caught in our spam filter but now not so. We still receive email from all of our other customers.

This message was created automatically by mail delivery software. A message that you sent could not be delivered to one or more of its recipients. This is a permanent error.

The following address(es) failed:  somedude @somedomain.com    all relevant MX records point to non-existent hosts or (invalidly) to IP addresses

Reporting-MTA: dns; semf03.mfg.siteprotect.com Action: failed Final-Recipient: rfc822; somedude@somedomain.com

Diagnostic-Code: smtp;

It appears that the DNS operator for somedomain.com has installed an invalid MX record with an IP address instead of a domain name on the right hand side.

Thursday, July 11, 2019 2:37 PM

Answers

• As far as I can tell from a whois search that would appear to be a mail server owned by their ISP

Thats the server reporting it, so they need to ask their ISP why.

If that server is attempting to send you the message and its not working, then the only way you can get any insight on your side is too look in your SMTP protocol logs and see if it attempted to connect to your server at that time. 

Thursday, July 18, 2019 10:44 AM

All replies

• When one of our customers sends us email they are shown this message, originally thought it was getting caught in our spam filter but now not so. We still receive email from all of our other customers.

This message was created automatically by mail delivery software. A message that you sent could not be delivered to one or more of its recipients. This is a permanent error.

The following address(es) failed:  somedude @somedomain.com    all relevant MX records point to non-existent hosts or (invalidly) to IP addresses

Reporting-MTA: dns; semf03.mfg.siteprotect.com Action: failed Final-Recipient: rfc822; somedude@somedomain.com

Diagnostic-Code: smtp;

It appears that the DNS operator for somedomain.com has installed an invalid MX record with an IP address instead of a domain name on the right hand side.

They will need to fix that.
    Thursday, July 11, 2019 3:14 PM
  • On our end or theirs?? we can send emails to them perfectly fine but when they send to us they get the bounce back. Yet everyone else can email us perfectly fine, I'm stumped...

Thursday, July 11, 2019 5:20 PM
  • On our end or theirs?? we can send emails to them perfectly fine but when they send to us they get the bounce back. Yet everyone else can email us perfectly fine, I'm stumped...

WHo owns this?

semf03.mfg.siteprotect.com

Thursday, July 11, 2019 6:30 PM
  • Hi,

You mentioned that a message was created automatically by mail delivery software, what’s the type of mail delivery software? A third-party software?

To narrow down the issue, we need to verify if the messages reach your Exchange server, if not, which means the mail route problem is related to the sender side. We could use Message Tracking Log to see if the message was successfully delivered to the target Exchange server. Run the following command to view the full mail flow of the message.

Get-TransportService | Get-MessageTrackingLog -Sender User@domain.com -MessageSubject "Subject" | Sort-Object Timestamp

Additional, check your MX record in the DNS, is pointing to the Exchange server FQDN, and the 'host(A)' record exists in DNS, which hosting a name (rather than IP) to the public IP of the Exchange server.

Regards,

Kelvin Deng

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Click here to learn more. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about Microsoft Teams.

Friday, July 12, 2019 7:01 AM
  • Kelvin, when I run the command in the exchange powershell it doesn't return anything, I take this to mean the email never reached the exchange server? The command appears to have run correctly as no errors were given, but did not return any results.

Our MX record hosted by cloudflare points to the IP of our mail server, not a FQDN.

Monday, July 15, 2019 1:37 PM
  • Kelvin, when I run the command in the exchange powershell it doesn't return anything, I take this to mean the email never reached the exchange server? The command appears to have run correctly as no errors were given, but did not return any results.

Our MX record hosted by cloudflare points to the IP of our mail server, not a FQDN.

Yes, but who owns this server? Thats who is reporting the issue, thats where the SMTP protocol logs will tell why it was rejected.

semf03.mfg.siteprotect.com

Wednesday, July 17, 2019 5:39 PM
  • As far as I can tell from a whois search that would appear to be a mail server owned by their ISP
    Thursday, July 18, 2019 10:41 AM

Thats the server reporting it, so they need to ask their ISP why.

If that server is attempting to send you the message and its not working, then the only way you can get any insight on your side is too look in your SMTP protocol logs and see if it attempted to connect to your server at that time. 

Thursday, July 18, 2019 10:44 AM