none
Skype Hybrid vs Cloud PSTN RRS feed

• Question

• Gents i wanted to ask the general view of Skype On Prem Hybrid VS Cloud PSTN and your views on each tech.

I know the Cloud stuff doesn't go GA till later and the functionality is kinda not as heavy as what Hybrid gives you, however Hybrid does come with issues and i feel deploying it may put you at risk of ever deploying Cloud PSTN at a later date. 

If you were deploying 200K seats of E5 from Microsoft and the customer wanted voice, what path would you take. I see a lot of external parties offering Cloud PSTN/PBX in the responses, and the hybrid angle used less and less.

pros and cons of each ?

Do you think there will always be a place for Hybrid on prem or will MSFt deprecate it in time.

Can you mix and match the two, or deploying one tech stop you moving to the other at a later date ?

Thanks

Monday, October 26, 2015 2:50 PM

Answers

• Yes.  And there's also the hybrid of that where users using CloudPBX hosted in Office365 can use the on-premises telephony trunks as well:

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/mt455212.aspx?f=255&MSPPError=-2147217396

Please remember, if you see a post that helped you please click "Vote As Helpful" and if it answered your question please click "Mark As Answer". SWC Unified Communications This forum post is based upon my personal experience and does not necessarily reflect the opinion or view of Microsoft, its employees, or other MVPs.

• Marked as answer by Littleted Monday, October 26, 2015 6:00 PM
    Monday, October 26, 2015 5:49 PM

All replies

• I'd suggest planning a heavy discovery and needs analysis before you suggest anything, especially if they're not using Skype for Business on-premises already today.  I'm talking analog connectivity, station audits, contact center functionality, call detail recording and reporting options, etc. etc. etc.  Ultimately, it may make sense to put it entirely in the cloud, but we're quite a ways off (a while before we hit feature parity and a while for vendors to catch up with their contact center and other solutions) from that so right now hybrid is the only reasonable option.   You can mix and match and move more to the cloud as it matures, which is the beauty of it.  On-premise can slide right into the cloud as you go and as it's ready.

Please remember, if you see a post that helped you please click "Vote As Helpful" and if it answered your question please click "Mark As Answer". SWC Unified Communications This forum post is based upon my personal experience and does not necessarily reflect the opinion or view of Microsoft, its employees, or other MVPs.

Monday, October 26, 2015 3:45 PM
  • Yeah i appreciate that, they have already decided on E5 that's a given, the question is voice to co-exist with there PBXs so both worlds.

I was just concerned that having Hybrid on prem is problematic when moving to cloud PSTN, as it was the criteria Microsoft stipulated on the preview. no on prem hybrid.

Ok thanks

Monday, October 26, 2015 4:16 PM
  • No, the hybrid model will be the model that you'll see more than any other for the next several years, and it shouldn't be problematic.  With E5 you'll get your choice of using Microsoft as a telco for Cloud PBX users, or using your existing telephony though users are hosted in the cloud.

Monday, October 26, 2015 4:23 PM
  • yeah the angle of attack was Cloud On Prem PSTN using the new stuff terminating the local PSTN.

SO i suppose Anthony if they have bought E5 does this limit to what we can offer or do i still go Hybrid
    • Edited by Littleted Monday, October 26, 2015 4:27 PM
    Monday, October 26, 2015 4:26 PM
  • E5 shouldn't limit anything at all.  I'm still a little fuzzy on how the Plus CALs would work for on-premises, as these were included in E4.  Otherwise, I don't see any limitations.

Monday, October 26, 2015 4:29 PM
  • so my questions then

1. Are you 100% that you can mix and match the Old World On prem hybrid platforms with Cloud PBX and Cloud PSTN ?
    2. If you were attacking this would you do a combo of all 3, lets say cloud PSTN for the users homed in the states and that just need dumb in and out, and anything main stream you re-home them Onprem and do the old way ?

All users are in the states. so it makes it a little easier...

thanks Ant

Monday, October 26, 2015 4:36 PM
  • 1) Yes, but I'm confused where you would have heard differently.  I'm wondering if we have different definitions of mix?  If you're using Cloud PSTN, you would have to port your numbers to the cloud for the users that would be homed there, you couldn't just move the users back and forth without considering this.  So not everything is seemless, but you could still connect via hybrid.

2) I wouldn't do anything until I performed a deeper discovery to determine all of the user's needs.  Is Express Route in play?  How critical is voice quality to the user, do we need absolute control for that department?  I imagine there is typically a subset of users that barely need a phone, and quality isn't too important, and they may be the first to go into the cloud.  The bulk-dumb-in-and-out users.   So yes, I would expect a combo of the three would be in play, though I expect you'd start out with a hybrid of on-premises for critical users and users that need additional services such as contact centers and the like, and ease into cloud PSTN by moving the low hanging fruit.

Monday, October 26, 2015 4:51 PM
  • that's great thanks.

Yes i will be trying to use Azure to cut down on Latency as much as possible, and will do the discovery to qualify which users sit where.

The Hybrid On prem cluster/Pool will cater for the hard-core users who need RESP Groups etc, but the dumb users will most likely be best suited in the cloud.

the mix is

Cloud PBX ( number in the cloud MSFT do the billing and supply DDI )

Cloud PBX with PSTN ( this is where they need greater features and or local breakout )

Hybrid On-prem ( this would fill all the holes and even map into there current PBX clusters if needed for the Hard core user )

you with me ?

Monday, October 26, 2015 4:56 PM
  • I'm with you.  However be aware that there are still fees related to PSTN minutes even with E5/CloudPBX licensing.

Monday, October 26, 2015 5:23 PM
  • So just so I'm clear, Microsoft supplied number users in the cloud, they Pay MSFT for the billing and call costs

On Prem PSTN is billed to whichever provider they have currently....

Monday, October 26, 2015 5:35 PM
  • Yes.  And there's also the hybrid of that where users using CloudPBX hosted in Office365 can use the on-premises telephony trunks as well:

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/mt455212.aspx?f=255&MSPPError=-2147217396

• Marked as answer by Littleted Monday, October 26, 2015 6:00 PM
    Monday, October 26, 2015 5:49 PM
  • Thanks Ant, ive also just had a call with Sonus now my heads at rest.

Thanks for the help

Monday, October 26, 2015 6:00 PM