none
"header" rule does not find the string - Outlook 2003 rule question

Question

• This seems extremely obvious, but:  I am getting emails forwarded to my cox.net address.  They arrive in Outlook 2003.  I use Outlook's View command, and am able to see the message header, i.e., all the details of the transmission routing, etc.  Inside there is an email address.   Actually, in the various routing information, the email address appears several times, sometimes with the domain name and sometimes not.  That's all fine.

When these emails arrive, however, I want Outlook to detect that email address inside the header and route the message to an existing Outlook folder.  I have created rules that detect other attributes and strings, e.g., sender's address, and those do work fine and route to the folder as desired.

But although I have defined a rule that looks in the email header for the specific email address string (not as sender or recipient, but just as a string of text), Outlook 2003 just ignores it and deposits the mail into the general Outlook inbox.

What is the trick to get the rule to look at the strings in the header?  I've searched the internet, other forums, etc., and have not been able to find this problem / solution  Any help from the various MVPs would be greatly appreciated -- this is really a headache for me.

Thank you very much indeed.

Monday, August 09, 2010 6:58 PM

All replies

• I haven't used outlook 2003 in a while, but I have noticed that under Outlook 2010, a rule that searches for text in the header is case sensitive.  Have you ruled this out as a possibility?

This seems extremely obvious, but:  I am getting emails forwarded to my cox.net address.  They arrive in Outlook 2003.  I use Outlook's View command, and am able to see the message header, i.e., all the details of the transmission routing, etc.  Inside there is an email address.   Actually, in the various routing information, the email address appears several times, sometimes with the domain name and sometimes not.  That's all fine.

When these emails arrive, however, I want Outlook to detect that email address inside the header and route the message to an existing Outlook folder.  I have created rules that detect other attributes and strings, e.g., sender's address, and those do work fine and route to the folder as desired.

But although I have defined a rule that looks in the email header for the specific email address string (not as sender or recipient, but just as a string of text), Outlook 2003 just ignores it and deposits the mail into the general Outlook inbox.

What is the trick to get the rule to look at the strings in the header?  I've searched the internet, other forums, etc., and have not been able to find this problem / solution  Any help from the various MVPs would be greatly appreciated -- this is really a headache for me.

Thank you very much indeed.

Tuesday, August 10, 2010 10:26 AM
  • Excellent question -- yes, I tried variations of upper and lower case strings in the Outlook Rule.  No difference in operation.  Maybe there is some strange flag or option I need to select?

Thanks for suggesting the idea, however, I'm willing try anything even if for the second or third time :-)

Tuesday, August 10, 2010 7:44 PM