none
Office 2003 crashes w/ Windows 7 x64 RRS feed

• Question

• This issue is apparent on 3 of my Windows 7 machines. All of which are clean installs out of the box. Office 2003 randomly crashes, in the event log it lists the applicaiton either outlook.exe or word.exe. Sometime its a copy and paste that get it to crash other times it just crashes randomly. In the event log it says the faulting module is syswow64. 

Monday, August 16, 2010 3:14 PM

Answers

• I have the Word and Excel 2003 crashing on copy/pastes issue on Win7 x64 as well, tested Office 2003 SP1 and SP3.  There are no add-ins, clean install from a share, same package that we have used since 2003.

Brand-new Dell E4310 computers- Win 7 fully patched, Office SP3 fully patched. 

Procedure to replicate: Start Excel.  Type something in a cell and copy and paste it somewhere else in the same worksheet.  Close Excel.  Open Excel.  Paste.  It will give the error "Microsoft Excel cannot paste the data."  Put data in a cell.  Copy/paste it somewhere else on the sheet.  Excel will give an error message that it does not have enough memory (even though this file is tiny, 3GB RAM free, etc., and/or just crash ("an application stopped working" message.)

Here's the crash data from the Application Event Log (this is on an SP3 install for testing)

Log Name:      Application
    Source:        Application Error
    Date:          8/26/2010 11:44:10 AM
    Event ID:      1000
    Task Category: (100)
    Level:         Error
    Keywords:      Classic
    User:          N/A
    Computer:      PC206.chem-tronics.com
    Description:
    Faulting application name: EXCEL.EXE, version: 11.0.6355.0, time stamp: 0x40aa979f
    Faulting module name: EXCEL.EXE, version: 11.0.6355.0, time stamp: 0x40aa979f
    Exception code: 0xc0000005
    Fault offset: 0x000b7aaf
    Faulting process id: 0xe50
    Faulting application start time: 0x01cb454e9274cd99
    Faulting application path: C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Office\OFFICE11\EXCEL.EXE
    Faulting module path: C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Office\OFFICE11\EXCEL.EXE
    Report Id: e9988508-b141-11df-b76b-0026b9ec76d5
    Event Xml:
    <Event xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/win/2004/08/events/event">
      <System>
        <Provider Name="Application Error" />
        <EventID Qualifiers="0">1000</EventID>
        <Level>2</Level>
        <Task>100</Task>
        <Keywords>0x80000000000000</Keywords>
        <TimeCreated SystemTime="2010-08-26T18:44:10.000000000Z" />
        <EventRecordID>4625</EventRecordID>
        <Channel>Application</Channel>
        <Computer>PC206.chem-tronics.com</Computer>
        <Security />
      </System>
      <EventData>
        <Data>EXCEL.EXE</Data>
        <Data>11.0.6355.0</Data>
        <Data>40aa979f</Data>
        <Data>EXCEL.EXE</Data>
        <Data>11.0.6355.0</Data>
        <Data>40aa979f</Data>
        <Data>c0000005</Data>
        <Data>000b7aaf</Data>
        <Data>e50</Data>
        <Data>01cb454e9274cd99</Data>
        <Data>C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Office\OFFICE11\EXCEL.EXE</Data>
        <Data>e9988508-b141-11df-b76b-0026b9ec76d5</Data>
      </EventData>
    </Event>

Update:

Repair Office has no effect.

Reinstall Office has no effect.

Fully patch Office has no effect.

Ctrl-Start app has no effect.

Clean boot has no effect.

Compatibility mode (Win XP SP2) has no effect.

Uninstalling all Windows 7 patches has no effect.

Uninstalling .Net, Silverlight, C++ Redist has no effect.

Uninstalling other apps has no effect.

I found the problem- "WIDCOMM Bluetooth Software".  We found that the problem was specific to some new Dell Latitude E4310 laptops, which use a Broadcom chipset for Bluetooth connectivity, known as the Wireless 375 Bluetooth Module.  When I uninstalled that, the problem went away on multiple computers.  This is listed in Control Panel/Programs and Features as "WIDCOMM Bluetooth Software" by Broadcom, version 6.3.0.3102.  This version is known by Dell as version A02, and is the latest released by Dell as of now (August 26th, 2010.)  On the Dell support site, it is listed under the E4310/drivers/Windows 7 64-bit/Network/Dell-Application/Applies to Wireless 375 Bluetooth Module.  Since we don't use Bluetooth much, we will probably not worry about reinstalling it at this time, and wait for updates in the future to revisit supporting the Bluetooth module.

• Proposed as answer by GantryG Friday, August 27, 2010 12:59 AM
    • Edited by GantryG Friday, August 27, 2010 1:00 AM Update
    • Marked as answer by Sally Tang Wednesday, September 1, 2010 7:22 AM
    Thursday, August 26, 2010 12:58 AM
  • Hi,

This issue can be related to many factors.

First, try to start the Office program in safe mode.

Start the Office program in safe mode

==============

1.       Click Start, point to All Programs, and then point to Microsoft Office.

2.        Press and hold the CTRL key, and then click the Office program you want to start.

If the problem does not occur in the safe mode, this issue might be related to some third-party add-ins in the Office program, we can try to disable them.

If the problem persists, try to repair Office program

=============

Please try to repair the Office programs from Add/Remove Programs (Windows XP) or Programs and Features (Windows Vista/Windows 7). Locate the Office program, right click it and choose Change. Then Repair.

You can also test this issue in the clean boot mode to see if it is caused by software conflicts.

Test in Clean boot Mode

===============

Let’s disable all startup items and third party services when booting. This method will help us determine if this issue is caused by a loading program or service. Please perform the following steps:

1.       Click the Start Button type "msconfig" (without quotation marks) in the Start Search box, and then press Enter.

Note: If prompted, please click Continue on the User Account Control (UAC) window.

2.        Click the "Services" tab, check the "Hide All Microsoft Services" box and click "Disable All" (if it is not gray).

3.       Click the "Startup" tab, click "Disable All" and click "OK".

Then, restart the computer. When the "System Configuration Utility" window appears, please check the "Don't show this message or launch the System Configuration Utility when Windows starts" box and click OK.

Note: Temporarily disabling the Startup Group only prevents the startup programs from loading at startup. This should not affect the system or other programs. We may still manually run these programs later.

What’s the result now?

How to return from the Clean Boot state

--------------------------

After the troubleshooting, we can return from the clean boot state:

1.       Click the Start Button type "msconfig" (without quotation marks) in the Start Search box, and then press Enter.

Note: If prompted, please click Continue on the User Account Control (UAC) window.

2.       On the "General" tab, click "Normal Startup - load all device drivers and services".

3.       Click OK. Click Restart when you are prompted to restart your computer.

Best Regards,

Sally Tang

TechNet Subscriber Support in forum

If you have any feedback on our support, please contact tngfb@microsoft.com  

• Marked as answer by Sally Tang Monday, August 23, 2010 5:09 AM
    Tuesday, August 17, 2010 7:09 AM

All replies

• Hi,

This issue can be related to many factors.

First, try to start the Office program in safe mode.

Start the Office program in safe mode

==============

1.       Click Start, point to All Programs, and then point to Microsoft Office.

2.        Press and hold the CTRL key, and then click the Office program you want to start.

If the problem does not occur in the safe mode, this issue might be related to some third-party add-ins in the Office program, we can try to disable them.

If the problem persists, try to repair Office program

=============

Please try to repair the Office programs from Add/Remove Programs (Windows XP) or Programs and Features (Windows Vista/Windows 7). Locate the Office program, right click it and choose Change. Then Repair.

You can also test this issue in the clean boot mode to see if it is caused by software conflicts.

Test in Clean boot Mode

===============

Let’s disable all startup items and third party services when booting. This method will help us determine if this issue is caused by a loading program or service. Please perform the following steps:

2.        Click the "Services" tab, check the "Hide All Microsoft Services" box and click "Disable All" (if it is not gray).

3.       Click the "Startup" tab, click "Disable All" and click "OK".

Then, restart the computer. When the "System Configuration Utility" window appears, please check the "Don't show this message or launch the System Configuration Utility when Windows starts" box and click OK.

Note: Temporarily disabling the Startup Group only prevents the startup programs from loading at startup. This should not affect the system or other programs. We may still manually run these programs later.

What’s the result now?

How to return from the Clean Boot state

--------------------------

After the troubleshooting, we can return from the clean boot state:

2.       On the "General" tab, click "Normal Startup - load all device drivers and services".

3.       Click OK. Click Restart when you are prompted to restart your computer.

Best Regards,

Sally Tang

• Marked as answer by Sally Tang Monday, August 23, 2010 5:09 AM
    Tuesday, August 17, 2010 7:09 AM
  •  

Hi,

As I have not heard from you for several days. I will go ahead and close this thread. If this issue is not resolved or you have any questions, please feel free to reply to us and this thread will be re-opened.

Best Regards,

Sally Tang

Monday, August 23, 2010 5:09 AM
  • I have the Word and Excel 2003 crashing on copy/pastes issue on Win7 x64 as well, tested Office 2003 SP1 and SP3.  There are no add-ins, clean install from a share, same package that we have used since 2003.

Brand-new Dell E4310 computers- Win 7 fully patched, Office SP3 fully patched. 

Procedure to replicate: Start Excel.  Type something in a cell and copy and paste it somewhere else in the same worksheet.  Close Excel.  Open Excel.  Paste.  It will give the error "Microsoft Excel cannot paste the data."  Put data in a cell.  Copy/paste it somewhere else on the sheet.  Excel will give an error message that it does not have enough memory (even though this file is tiny, 3GB RAM free, etc., and/or just crash ("an application stopped working" message.)

Here's the crash data from the Application Event Log (this is on an SP3 install for testing)

Log Name:      Application
    Source:        Application Error
    Date:          8/26/2010 11:44:10 AM
    Event ID:      1000
    Task Category: (100)
    Level:         Error
    Keywords:      Classic
    User:          N/A
    Computer:      PC206.chem-tronics.com
    Description:
    Faulting application name: EXCEL.EXE, version: 11.0.6355.0, time stamp: 0x40aa979f
    Faulting module name: EXCEL.EXE, version: 11.0.6355.0, time stamp: 0x40aa979f
    Exception code: 0xc0000005
    Fault offset: 0x000b7aaf
    Faulting process id: 0xe50
    Faulting application start time: 0x01cb454e9274cd99
    Faulting application path: C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Office\OFFICE11\EXCEL.EXE
    Faulting module path: C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Office\OFFICE11\EXCEL.EXE
    Report Id: e9988508-b141-11df-b76b-0026b9ec76d5
    Event Xml:
    <Event xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/win/2004/08/events/event">
      <System>
        <Provider Name="Application Error" />
        <EventID Qualifiers="0">1000</EventID>
        <Level>2</Level>
        <Task>100</Task>
        <Keywords>0x80000000000000</Keywords>
        <TimeCreated SystemTime="2010-08-26T18:44:10.000000000Z" />
        <EventRecordID>4625</EventRecordID>
        <Channel>Application</Channel>
        <Computer>PC206.chem-tronics.com</Computer>
        <Security />
      </System>
      <EventData>
        <Data>EXCEL.EXE</Data>
        <Data>11.0.6355.0</Data>
        <Data>40aa979f</Data>
        <Data>EXCEL.EXE</Data>
        <Data>11.0.6355.0</Data>
        <Data>40aa979f</Data>
        <Data>c0000005</Data>
        <Data>000b7aaf</Data>
        <Data>e50</Data>
        <Data>01cb454e9274cd99</Data>
        <Data>e9988508-b141-11df-b76b-0026b9ec76d5</Data>
      </EventData>
    </Event>

Update:

Repair Office has no effect.

Reinstall Office has no effect.

Fully patch Office has no effect.

Ctrl-Start app has no effect.

Clean boot has no effect.

Compatibility mode (Win XP SP2) has no effect.

Uninstalling all Windows 7 patches has no effect.

Uninstalling .Net, Silverlight, C++ Redist has no effect.

Uninstalling other apps has no effect.

I found the problem- "WIDCOMM Bluetooth Software".  We found that the problem was specific to some new Dell Latitude E4310 laptops, which use a Broadcom chipset for Bluetooth connectivity, known as the Wireless 375 Bluetooth Module.  When I uninstalled that, the problem went away on multiple computers.  This is listed in Control Panel/Programs and Features as "WIDCOMM Bluetooth Software" by Broadcom, version 6.3.0.3102.  This version is known by Dell as version A02, and is the latest released by Dell as of now (August 26th, 2010.)  On the Dell support site, it is listed under the E4310/drivers/Windows 7 64-bit/Network/Dell-Application/Applies to Wireless 375 Bluetooth Module.  Since we don't use Bluetooth much, we will probably not worry about reinstalling it at this time, and wait for updates in the future to revisit supporting the Bluetooth module.

• Proposed as answer by GantryG Friday, August 27, 2010 12:59 AM
    • Edited by GantryG Friday, August 27, 2010 1:00 AM Update
    • Marked as answer by Sally Tang Wednesday, September 1, 2010 7:22 AM
    Thursday, August 26, 2010 12:58 AM
  • Is there any way of shutting the bluetooth service off completely inside of Office 2003 without having to remove the bluetooth software from the computer? I am on a Thinkpad T410 with the same exact issue. It must be a broadcom thing. The version I have is from Thinkvantage tools. 6.2.1.2900 ver.
    Wednesday, December 8, 2010 8:56 PM
  • Was there ever a definitive answer/resolution to this problem. I recently had a rebuild on my laptop and with Windows 7-64bit and MS Office 2003 I get crashes pretty regularly.

Thanks,

-Steve

Wednesday, January 19, 2011 9:34 PM
  • Hi Steve and All Interested,

I had the same issue with Office 2003 and Microsoft Visio Pro 2010 under Windows 7, and found the resolution for my situation. It turned out the be the WIDCOMM Bluetooth software that I had installed to use a bluetooth device. Before uninstalling the WIDCOMM Bluetooth software, Excel 2003, for example, would crash after about 30 seconds of use, and would crash virtually every time I tried to cut and paste. Word would crash once in a while. Visio Pro 2010 would crash every few minutes. After unistallation of the WIDCOMM Bluetooth software, I haven't had an issue since.

I learned about this fix from this thread: http://community.spiceworks.com/topic/113324

It may be possible that some computers come preloaded with WIDCOMM Bluetooth software.

Cheers,

Borkmark

• Proposed as answer by HaydnWVN Wednesday, April 18, 2012 1:06 PM
    Saturday, January 29, 2011 7:34 PM
  • Hi all

This is not just for Dell E4310

Dell E4310 and E6410 I also facing same issue,

I can see it is preloaded windows issue, I had test out uninstall WIDCOMM Bluetooth software, it is working fine, and try to install the older version or reinstall the existing version of WIDCOMM Bluetooth software, the problem of crash will appear

I do rebuild the system and the problem is solve

very bad preloaded windows

Cheers

Wednesday, March 23, 2011 10:50 PM
  • Thanks for the information. This is definitely the same "issue" however, I don't have WIDCOMM Bluetooth Software, I'm not using a Dell and the software (OS & Office) were not pre-installed. Hmmm.
    Tuesday, April 5, 2011 6:05 PM
  • GantryG, you got it spot on. I had similar issue. Uninstalled BT driver and resloved the problem for good. Thanks.

Friday, April 8, 2011 2:47 PM
  • THX to you Gantry you saved us a lot of time! we had exactly the same problem!!!

thx man!

Friday, May 6, 2011 9:38 AM
  • This doesn't work for a non-Dell computer.  I am using a Thinkpad T400 and I have the same manifestation of the error.  I cannot copy any cells in Excel without the program crashing.
    Friday, May 20, 2011 2:53 AM
  • We have multiple systems installed from the same image, those with Bluetooth fail those with out work.

Interestingly enough, while uninstalling the WIDCOMM Bluetooth software on a Dell E6500 with the 370 Bluetooth module, the uninstaller was launching excel.exe and winword.exe

XP 64bit office 2003 sp3 hot fixed as of 14-jun-2011

Faulting application winword.exe, version 11.0.8328.0, stamp 4c717ed1, faulting module gdi32.dll, version 5.2.3790.4396, stamp 49006376, debug? 0, fault address 0x000205b5.

Wednesday, June 15, 2011 2:36 PM
  • I had a new Win7 64 bit Lenovo with bluetooth that had the same frequent random crashes. After a lot of google, Bluetooth and x64 seemed to be the only common elements to this problem (copying and pasting cells in excel was a good hint). Right away I thought of office addins. Google "OfficeIns" by Nirsoft It is a small application that shows you which addins are hooked into office. I found several "Send to Bluetooth" office addins and disabled all of them. No more crashes and you get to keep your bluetooth. Problem fixed. -Sean
    Tuesday, July 5, 2011 4:10 PM
  • Great answer - thanks. That totally fixed it for me. And to give more detail on how the specific actions to take to resolve this issue (the issue being that Office apps crash constantly in Win 7 64 bit):

The best answer from that forum you linked to above was to use this software:

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/officeins.html

And within that app disable all bluetooth components (just right click on each bluetooth item listed in the menu and choose disable from the first submenu). Stopped all my crashing symptoms instantly! Whew!
    • Proposed as answer by asawadude Tuesday, August 7, 2012 11:24 PM
    Friday, July 8, 2011 3:32 PM
  • I had the exact same problem on my Thinkpad T400 running Windows 7 64 bit edition. After uninstalling the driver from device manager for bluetooth radios and removing the bluetooth application from boardcom via add/remove programs all is good !

thanks so much for the post !

Tuesday, July 19, 2011 5:45 PM
  • Just remove the bluetooth Add-in in the Office 2003

Follow this link to add or remove add-in:

http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/outlook-help/add-or-remove-an-add-in-HP005242782.aspx

Trung Nguyen

Tuesday, July 26, 2011 8:04 AM
  • This fixed my issue!

Windows 7 32bit with Office 2003 SP3.

Wednesday, April 18, 2012 1:06 PM
  • Bluetooth seems to be the problem in general.

I had the same problem on an HP Elite Book.(Win7 64 and office 2003 sp3 pluss all Sevice Packs)

After uninstalling the Bluetooth, that hooks into MS Office, the problems went away.

Thanks for the Help.

What are they going to do about bluetooth is the question?

Thursday, August 2, 2012 4:21 PM