none
Outlook 2010 Instant Search Query Builder Missing?

Question

• I regurlarly use the Outlook 2007 Instant Search Query Builder.  This is the feature with the double drop down arrow next to the search Instant Search field.  This feature allows you to quickly narrow down the search results by specifying additional criteria.

I recently upgraded to Outlook 2010 and noticed that the instant search field no longer provides the query builder features.  Instead, everything is now integrated into the riboon.  It takes me a lot longer to customize my search through the ribbon.  Are there any tricks to getting back the query builder as it was in Outlook 2007? 

MCITP, MCTS Vista
    Monday, June 14, 2010 8:28 PM

Answers

• Hi,

Query Builder is a hidden feature available in Outlook 2010. We can enable it by the steps below:

Step 1: Add the QueryBuilder key

============

1.       Close Outlook.

2.       In Windows XP, click Start > Run, type regedit and press Enter. In Windows Vista/Windows 7, click Start, in the Search box, type regedit and press Enter.

3.       Locate the registry subkey: HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Office\14.0\Outlook

4.       Right-click Outlook and choose New > Key. Type the name as QueryBuilder.

5.       Close registry editor.

Step 2: Add the Advance Find command

============

1.       Click File > Options > Customize Ribbon.

2.       Choose All commands from the drop down list, and find the command Advance Find…

3.       From left pane, select Home and click New Group, new group will be added to Home tab, change its name to Advance Search, and then click Add >> button to add Advance Find command to newly created group. Click OK to save the settings.

4.       Now Switch to Home tab, you will see the newly added command button, click Advance Find to open the Advance search options.

5.       You will reach Advance Field dialog, now if you are already acquaint with this feature, then you will notice that one new tab with the name of Query Builder is added in to Advance Find dialog.

Please take your time to try the suggestions and let me know the results at your earliest convenience. . If anything is unclear or if there is anything I can do for you, please feel free to let me know.

Sally Tang

TechNet Subscriber Support in forum

If you have any feedback on our support, please contact tngfb@microsoft.com  

• Marked as answer by Sally Tang Monday, June 21, 2010 1:14 AM
    Tuesday, June 15, 2010 3:54 AM

All replies

• Hi,

Query Builder is a hidden feature available in Outlook 2010. We can enable it by the steps below:

Step 1: Add the QueryBuilder key

============

1.       Close Outlook.

2.       In Windows XP, click Start > Run, type regedit and press Enter. In Windows Vista/Windows 7, click Start, in the Search box, type regedit and press Enter.

3.       Locate the registry subkey: HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Office\14.0\Outlook

4.       Right-click Outlook and choose New > Key. Type the name as QueryBuilder.

5.       Close registry editor.

Step 2: Add the Advance Find command

============

1.       Click File > Options > Customize Ribbon.

2.       Choose All commands from the drop down list, and find the command Advance Find…

3.       From left pane, select Home and click New Group, new group will be added to Home tab, change its name to Advance Search, and then click Add >> button to add Advance Find command to newly created group. Click OK to save the settings.

4.       Now Switch to Home tab, you will see the newly added command button, click Advance Find to open the Advance search options.

5.       You will reach Advance Field dialog, now if you are already acquaint with this feature, then you will notice that one new tab with the name of Query Builder is added in to Advance Find dialog.

Please take your time to try the suggestions and let me know the results at your earliest convenience. . If anything is unclear or if there is anything I can do for you, please feel free to let me know.

Sally Tang

• Marked as answer by Sally Tang Monday, June 21, 2010 1:14 AM
    Tuesday, June 15, 2010 3:54 AM
  • Hi,

I am writing to see how everything is going with this issue. Is the problem resolved? If there is anything I can do for you, please feel free to let me know.

Sally Tang

Thursday, June 17, 2010 7:02 AM
  • Hi,

As I have not heard from you for several days. I will go ahead and close this thread. If this issue is not resolved or you have any questions, please feel free to reply to us and this thread will be re-opened.

Best Regards,

Sally Tang

Monday, June 21, 2010 1:14 AM
  • I'm just curious...why would you hide such a useful feature and make it so hard to add back in?  Also, it was located in a very handy place and was very user friendly in 2007 but is so much less so in 2010.  I always wonder why companies take features away like that.
    Friday, July 8, 2011 6:15 PM
  • Thanks, Sally. Perfect. I guess MS believes if you can't use Regedit you can't have QueryBuilder ;>) Don
    Friday, October 14, 2011 1:07 PM
  • Hey folks

I used to have query builder in the same inbox pane in outlook 2010,  but after I formatted my laptop and installed office 2010 with latest service packs, this query builder is no longer available, I tried Sally's workaround but I think any outlook user is used to have it in the same inbox pane, so please advise to fix the issue, I tried so many way but no wayyyyyyyyyyyy,,,,,,,, please help

Saturday, March 24, 2012 1:14 AM
  • Microsoft folks,,,,,,,,Reminder
    Saturday, March 24, 2012 4:38 PM
  • Is it unable to solve? isn't it?
    Sunday, March 25, 2012 9:46 AM
  • Hey Marmarita,

The query builder should show up within the ribbon whenever you click in the search box (i.e. Search All Mail Items).  Once you click this box, focus in the ribbon switches to the Search Tab.  Use the +More button to introduce search query fields and go from there. 

MCITP Windows 7 MCTS Windows Server 2008

Monday, March 26, 2012 2:40 AM
  • Why is it not an option under file -> options?

why is it hidden?

Monday, May 7, 2012 2:14 PM
  • I have uninstalled Office 2010 and again migrated to office 2007 just for this issue
    Saturday, October 20, 2012 4:07 AM
  • The function is still there.  It's just in a different place.  While in Outlook 2010, highlight the Search Bar and click the More button to introduce the various fields.  You guys can't stay on Office 2007 forever ;)

MCITP Windows 7 MCTS Windows Server 2008

Monday, October 22, 2012 4:56 PM