none
issue with excel and word files in the library in sharepoint site RRS feed

• Question

• Hi, 

when i open excel files with smaller files or bigger file names, it is coming up with below message.

and you can see the file name is shorter  in the below screenshot 

it appears issue with file name, but the same file i have download in the local machine and upload it in the other library of the site. It worked fine and i could able to open the excel file from other library with out any issues. 

and word files coming up with same message but word files can be opened. 

so i suspect issue with library settings. could you please help me on what is causing the issue in the library.. 

• Edited by SravanC Tuesday, August 6, 2019 11:31 AM
    Tuesday, August 6, 2019 11:27 AM

Answers

• Hi Sravan,

That seems to me Url character length more than 256. for you to fix it just create a new simple folder and download files from the above and upload it in the new folder it works as expected if that works then you rename the Url.

Thanks & Regards,

sharath aluri

Wednesday, August 7, 2019 1:05 PM

All replies

• Hi Sravan,

This usually happens if the file is located with many folder level depth. Try to save the same file at the parent level and try to open.

Let me know if you see any issue.

Enjoy the SharePoint !!

Best Regards,
    Krishna

If this Post helps you, then please don't forget to mark it answer or Vote for this post.
    Tuesday, August 6, 2019 2:06 PM
  • Hi Sravan, 

you can also try using the below SQL query to check length of the URL and manage the hierarchy.

select * from sites 
    select * from webs 

copy the Site Id from the above query and replace it with the below query.

SELECT 'http://SERVERNAME/' + DirName + '/' + LeafName as url, LEN('http://SERVERNAME/' + DirName + '/' + LeafName) as urllength  
    FROM alldocs 
    WHERE siteid = 'SiteID' and LEN('http://SERVERNAME/' + DirName + '/' + LeafName) >200 
    ORDER BY urllength desc 

below article with same kind of issue and had solution for it.

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/ie/en-US/410c365d-86d1-4caa-a192-4452afd8986f/sharepoint-2010-url-path-length-limitation?forum=sharepointgeneralprevious

Thanks & Regards,

Sharath Aluri

Tuesday, August 6, 2019 11:49 PM
  • Hi SravanC, 

If a reply helps you, please remember to mark it as an answer.

Thanks for your understanding. 

Best Regards, 

Lisa Chen

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

SharePoint Server 2019 has been released, you can click here to download it.
    Click here to learn new features. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about SharePoint Server 2019.

Wednesday, August 7, 2019 2:32 AM
  • Hi Krisha,

Thank you for the response. 

which file need to save? all files in the library popping up with same message. 

i downloaded file from the folder present in the effected library, once downloaded saved on local and then uploaded at the parent level and i opened it with out any issue..

so what is the issue then.. 

• Edited by SravanC Wednesday, August 7, 2019 6:49 AM
    Wednesday, August 7, 2019 6:49 AM
  • Hi Sharath,

Thank you for the response.

Though file length is small it is popping up with message from the library.

though file name is large it is opening with out any issue in other sites and in same sites from other libraries 

so you mean one of the folder name is big and is it causing the issue?

• Edited by SravanC Wednesday, August 7, 2019 7:08 AM
    Wednesday, August 7, 2019 6:57 AM
  • Hi Sravan,

Follow this:

1. Create a dummy file call test.txt
    2. Upload that file in library (not in to any folder, drop it in library directly)
    3. Try to open that

let me know if this helps you.

Enjoy the SharePoint !!

Best Regards,
    Krishna

If this Post helps you, then please don't forget to mark it answer or Vote for this post.

Wednesday, August 7, 2019 11:41 AM
  • Hi Sharath & krishna,

sorry for confusion. issue with only one folder in the library 

I find out that issue with the files present in one of the folder in the library. not with the other folders in the library 

below is the folder. in this folder all files coming up with the message

Belwo is the effected highlighted folder

Wednesday, August 7, 2019 11:42 AM
  • Hi Sravan,

That seems to me Url character length more than 256. for you to fix it just create a new simple folder and download files from the above and upload it in the new folder it works as expected if that works then you rename the Url.

Thanks & Regards,

sharath aluri

Wednesday, August 7, 2019 1:05 PM