none
Newly created Subsites does not inherit theme and cannot change the look RRS feed

• Question

• Hi, I have created an Intranet with a green theme applied to the root site. I am site collection Admin for the entire site collection. i then created 2 subsites underneath which were created with the default blue theme. when i access Site settings and select change the look, i am presented with a blank screen with no options to change the theme.

Not sure what is going on, can anyone help me with trying to resolve this issue. I just want to change the theme from blue to green.

Thanks in advance

Wednesday, May 8, 2013 2:52 PM

Answers

• Although you may be able to turn it off and save it as a template, its really not a good idea. Its very likely to break something within the template.

You should be able to change the theme of the subsite. If you go the the composed look list on the subsite (/_catalogs/design/AllItems.aspx), do you see all of the themes?

Thursday, May 9, 2013 6:51 PM

All replies

• Try activating the "SharePoint Server Publishing Infrastructure" Site Collection Feature.

Thanks.  

Nick Hurst

Wednesday, May 8, 2013 2:57 PM
  • I want to be able to save the site as a template after so I am reluctant to turn on that feature, unless if i turn it on to change the theme and then turn it off, will I still be able to save it as a template?
    Thursday, May 9, 2013 8:56 AM
  • Although you may be able to turn it off and save it as a template, its really not a good idea. Its very likely to break something within the template.

You should be able to change the theme of the subsite. If you go the the composed look list on the subsite (/_catalogs/design/AllItems.aspx), do you see all of the themes?

Thursday, May 9, 2013 6:51 PM
  • I ran into this same issue yesterday. Couldn't understand why I was not able to change the theme.  I realized, at least for my part, that I had not checked the include content box.  I had information in a calendar I did not want on a new site.  However, what I realized is that by NOT checking this box, all the content - ie: the themes and solutions, also did not copy over, therefore I got a blank screen.  I had tried to add to update the list, but that didn't work, so just back it all off, ie I deleted the site, recreated the template and included content, and then recreated the new subsite.

So I guess the lesson is, if you don't ever want to change the look of the site, uncheck the include content box, otherwise check it. I thought it was strange, but that seems to be what happened to me.

Wednesday, June 5, 2013 2:37 PM