none
Cant start Transport service after installing March 2017 Windows Updates RRS feed

• Question

• I run Exchange 2016 CU4 on Windows Server 2016 Datacenter. Yesterday I installed all of the March 2017 Windows Updates that were available. There were no errors during installation but after the reboot completed I now cannot start the Microsoft Exchange Transport service.

This is what I see in the Event Viewer:

Event ID 314:

Microsoft Exchange couldn't initialize the Content Filter agent because ExSMime.dll couldn't be initialized. Verify that ExSMime.dll is properly registered by using Regsrv32.exe. Details: System.Runtime.InteropServices.COMException (0xC0630005): Exception from HRESULT: 0xC0630005

Event ID 1052:

Failed to create agent factory for the agent 'Content Filter Agent' with error 'Failed to create type 'Microsoft.Exchange.Transport.Agent.ContentFilter.ContentFilterAgentFactory' from assembly 'C:\Program Files\Microsoft\Exchange Server\V15\TransportRoles\agents\Hygiene\Microsoft.Exchange.Transport.Agent.Hygiene.dll' due to error 'Exception from HRESULT: 0xC0630005'.'. Please verify the corresponding transport agent assembly and dependencies with correct version are installed.

Event ID 16023:

Microsoft Exchange couldn't start transport agents. The Microsoft Exchange Transport service will be stopped. Exception details: Failed to create type 'Microsoft.Exchange.Transport.Agent.ContentFilter.ContentFilterAgentFactory' from assembly 'C:\Program Files\Microsoft\Exchange Server\V15\TransportRoles\agents\Hygiene\Microsoft.Exchange.Transport.Agent.Hygiene.dll' due to error 'Exception from HRESULT: 0xC0630005'. : Microsoft.Exchange.Data.ExchangeConfigurationException: Failed to create type 'Microsoft.Exchange.Transport.Agent.ContentFilter.ContentFilterAgentFactory' from assembly 'C:\Program Files\Microsoft\Exchange Server\V15\TransportRoles\agents\Hygiene\Microsoft.Exchange.Transport.Agent.Hygiene.dll' due to error 'Exception from HRESULT: 0xC0630005'. ---> Microsoft.Exchange.Data.ExchangeConfigurationException: Exception from HRESULT: 0xC0630005 ---> System.Runtime.InteropServices.COMException: Exception from HRESULT: 0xC0630005

I have tried rebooting and restarting the services a few times but it doesn't work.

What can I do to fix this and get Exchange working again? This server is an Edge server.

• Edited by SW97C Thursday, March 16, 2017 1:49 PM
    Thursday, March 16, 2017 1:29 PM

Answers

• After hours on phone with MS, I uninstalled KB4013429 rebooted - and can run Content Filter again! Transport agent started right up.
    Friday, March 17, 2017 5:42 AM
  • Hi,

Please try to uninstalled the Content filter agent and reinstalled it using the command:

Install-TransportAgent -Name "Content Filter Agent" -TransportAgentFactory "Microsoft.Exchange.Transport.Agent.ContentFilter.ContentFilterAgentFactory" -AssemblyPath "C:\ProgramFiles\Microsoft\Exchange Server\TransportRoles\agents\Hygiene\Microsoft.Exchange.Transport.Agent.Hygiene.dll"

Then restart the Transport service for test.

Best Regards,
    David Wang
    TechNet Community Support

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Friday, March 17, 2017 7:05 AM
  • After hours on phone with MS, I uninstalled KB4013429 rebooted - and can run Content Filter again! Transport agent started right up.

I can confirm that uninstalling this update and rebooting got my Edge server (and the Transport aervice) working again.

But now my server isn't fully patched and keeps prompting me to install update KB4013429.

So what is the long term fix to this problem?

Also, uninstalling this update has downgraded my OS buikd from 14393.693 to 14393.447!

Friday, March 17, 2017 7:34 AM

All replies

• Hi

Have you tried to disable the Content Filter before?

Set-ContentFilterConfig -ExternalMailEnabled $false

Thursday, March 16, 2017 2:48 PM
  • Hi

Have you tried to disable the Content Filter before?

Set-ContentFilterConfig -ExternalMailEnabled $false

I just tried this and it did not help. I have set it to true again.

Is there anything else I can try? I have two Edge servers and they both have the same issues.

Thursday, March 16, 2017 3:11 PM
  • Exact same error I get - waiting on call back from MS Support Services.

Uninstalling the Content Filter does "fix" email flow - but then no antispam is filtering.

To uninstall content filter -

Uninstall-TransportAgent -Identity "Content Filter Agent"

Then restart Transport Service and mail will flow...but get a lot of calls from angry end-user about spam now.

Also - uninstalling the Antispam Agents will "fix" it, as it removed the Content Filter.
    From Exchange Powershell >& $env:ExchangeInstallPath\Scripts\Uninstall Install-AntiSpamAgents.ps1

Reinstalling Antipsam> & $env:ExchangeInstallPath\Scripts\Install-AntiSpamAgents.ps1

Doing this and try restarting transport/rebooting server - Does not fix it, breaks it again.

Basically can't run antispam now on my server.

• Edited by CoreScott Friday, March 17, 2017 1:19 AM
    Friday, March 17, 2017 1:13 AM
    Friday, March 17, 2017 5:42 AM
  • Hi,

Please try to uninstalled the Content filter agent and reinstalled it using the command:

Install-TransportAgent -Name "Content Filter Agent" -TransportAgentFactory "Microsoft.Exchange.Transport.Agent.ContentFilter.ContentFilterAgentFactory" -AssemblyPath "C:\ProgramFiles\Microsoft\Exchange Server\TransportRoles\agents\Hygiene\Microsoft.Exchange.Transport.Agent.Hygiene.dll"

Then restart the Transport service for test.

Best Regards,
    David Wang

If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Friday, March 17, 2017 7:05 AM
  • Glad to hear that you have got it.

Thank you for the generous sharing.

Best Regards,
    David Wang

Friday, March 17, 2017 7:06 AM

I can confirm that uninstalling this update and rebooting got my Edge server (and the Transport aervice) working again.

But now my server isn't fully patched and keeps prompting me to install update KB4013429.

So what is the long term fix to this problem?

Also, uninstalling this update has downgraded my OS buikd from 14393.693 to 14393.447!

Friday, March 17, 2017 7:34 AM
  • The same issue here.

Whenever new info comes available - please post it here!

Thanks

Friday, March 17, 2017 12:47 PM
  • I think I have it working (even with all the March updates installed):

1) Ran:

Uninstall-TransportAgent -Identity "Content Filter Agent"

2) Then ran:

Install-TransportAgent -Name "Content Filter Agent" -TransportAgentFactory "Microsoft.Exchange.Transport.Agent.ContentFilter.ContentFilterAgentFactory" -AssemblyPath "Microsoft.Exchange.Transport.Agent.Hygiene.dll"

while in the following folder:

C:\Program Files\Microsoft\Exchange Server\V15\TransportRoles\agents\Hygiene>

Started the Transport service and so far it ahs stayed in the running state and email is flowing!

• Edited by SW97C Friday, March 17, 2017 1:36 PM
    • Proposed as answer by Aaron_Unpublished Sunday, October 15, 2017 7:58 AM
    • Unproposed as answer by Aaron_Unpublished Sunday, October 15, 2017 9:22 AM
    Friday, March 17, 2017 1:35 PM
  • I did the same but the Content Filter Agent remains disabled. So Exchange transport is in deed starting without errors - but with a disabled content filter and thus a lot of spam.

Can you confirm that?

Others any updates?

As for now - I'm trying to update exchange with CU1 released a few days ago --

Regards,

Friday, March 17, 2017 2:03 PM
  • If I do a Get-ContentFilterConfig on my two patched Edge servers I get this:

Name                                  : ContentFilterConfig
    RejectionResponse                     : Message rejected as spam by Content Filtering.
    OutlookEmailPostmarkValidationEnabled : True
    BypassedRecipients                    : {}
    QuarantineMailbox                     : postmaster@domain.com
    SCLRejectThreshold                    : 7
    SCLRejectEnabled                      : True
    SCLDeleteThreshold                    : 9
    SCLDeleteEnabled                      : False
    SCLQuarantineThreshold                : 9
    SCLQuarantineEnabled                  : False
    BypassedSenders                       : {}
    BypassedSenderDomains                 : {}
    Enabled                               : True
    ExternalMailEnabled                   : True
    InternalMailEnabled                   : False
    AdminDisplayName                      :
    ExchangeVersion                       : 0.1 (8.0.535.0)
    DistinguishedName                     : CN=ContentFilterConfig,CN=Message Hygiene,CN=Transport Settings,CN=First Organization,CN=Microsoft
                                            Exchange,CN=Services,CN=Configuration,CN={416845CC-031D-4680-83F4-71C762102E47}
    Identity                              : ContentFilterConfig
    Guid                                  : 86546d79-e5c3-4d58-877d-8899d1525c69
    ObjectCategory                        : CN=ms-Exch-Message-Hygiene-Content-Filter-Config,CN=Schema,CN=Configuration,CN={416845CC-031D-4680-83F4-71C762102E47}
    ObjectClass                           : {top, msExchAgent, msExchMessageHygieneContentFilterConfig}
    WhenChanged                           : 31/12/2016 12:33:14
    WhenCreated                           : 17/12/2016 09:54:54
    WhenChangedUTC                        : 31/12/2016 12:33:14
    WhenCreatedUTC                        : 17/12/2016 09:54:54
    OrganizationId                        :
    Id                                    : ContentFilterConfig
    OriginatingServer                     : localhost
    IsValid                               : True

So it's enabled...

Also, all the errors I had in event viewer are gone too.
    • Edited by SW97C Friday, March 17, 2017 4:06 PM
    Friday, March 17, 2017 4:04 PM

• Can you please check if it's enabled after running GetTransportAgent (listing all transport agents)?

Also, running the command

Install-TransportAgent -Name "Content Filter Agent" -TransportAgentFactory "Microsoft.Exchange.Transport.Agent.ContentFilter.ContentFilterAgentFactory" -AssemblyPath "Microsoft.Exchange.Transport.Agent.Hygiene.dll"

in de proper folder as you mentioned, is not working for me. You have to include the path like so:

Install-TransportAgent -Name "Content Filter Agent" -TransportAgentFactory "Microsoft.Exchange.Transport.Agent.ContentFilter.ContentFilterAgentFactory" -AssemblyPath "C:\Program Files\Microsoft\Exchange Server\V15\TransportRoles\agents\Hygiene\Microsoft.Exchange.Transport.Agent.Hygiene.dll"

But then again - GetTransportAgent tells me the above agent is disabled. 

So - what's next? ;-) My update exchange with CU1 (march 2017) failed with an error after a long, long setup.

Now the exchange services are running properly and without errors - but with a disabled content filter agent.

Cheers,

Patrick

Friday, March 17, 2017 4:55 PM
  • I stand corrected. When running Get-TransportAgent the Content Filter Agent was set to False (disabled). When I enabled it and restarted the Transport service I am back to the original errors in event log moaning about Hygiene.dll.

So I am still experiencing the same issue as before then.I am getting tired of this issue (and no apparent answer) so wlll probably restore to before the March updates were installed.

Not great as now my server is unpatched and vulnerable!!

On another note, I can't even get the March updates to install on my mailbox servers. Keeps failing with:

Some update files are missing or have problems. We'll try to download the update again later.

Error code: (0x80073712)

• Edited by SW97C Friday, March 17, 2017 5:26 PM
    Friday, March 17, 2017 5:23 PM
  • Thanks for your update! 

Please feed if more info comes available.

Cheers,

Friday, March 17, 2017 8:47 PM
  • I don't have any further updates I'm afraid. I restored my Edge servers back to before I installed the March WinUpdates and they are working fine but are unpatched and vulnerable now.

I also can't install the WinUpdates on my two mailbox servers (in a DAG).

All my servers updated just fine except for the Exchange servers.

Is CU5 for Exchange 2016 due out soon? Maybe that'll help but as of right now I can't patch my Exchange servers.

Saturday, March 18, 2017 9:14 AM
  • Error 0xc0630005 translates to Access is Denied. Did we try enabling content filter agent and capturing Procmon while restarting Transport service. Reviewing the same for Access is Denied error?

This is not repro'able at will in all environment so it should be setup specific and need to be further investigated.

Thanks,

Sujith

Sunday, March 19, 2017 9:13 AM
  • Error 0xc0630005 translates to Access is Denied. Did we try enabling content filter agent and capturing Procmon while restarting Transport service. Reviewing the same for Access is Denied error?

This is not repro'able at will in all environment so it should be setup specific and need to be further investigated.

Thanks,

Sujith

Not sure why I would get an Access Denied when I am logged into the Edge servers as a local admin (they are in a workgroup) and the mailbox servers I am logged in as a domain admin?

After multiple attempts the one mailbox server installed the March Windows Updates successfully! But the other mailbox server is still failing to successfully install the March Windows Updates. I also still have issues with the Transport services not starting on the two Edge servers after they reboot to complete the installation of the March Windows Updates.

I also run powershell/cmd as an admin.

So what else can I do here? How can I use procman to help me?

Sunday, March 19, 2017 1:48 PM
  • Hi,

Could be someting to do with having scripts (like anti spam) installed as an Admin and thus registering/setting unproper security on files and folder. At this point, I'm not sure.

But, we should stick together-  because we are not with many, I'm affraid.

People, help us out - how can we debug and fix this error?

Regards,

Patrick

Monday, March 20, 2017 12:41 PM
  • DId you happen to have any extra info on this issue, CoreScott?

Cheers,

Patrick

Monday, March 20, 2017 12:43 PM
  • Hi David,

This issue isn't solved yet. Can you read it untill the end and perhaps come with a suggestion?

We now have rolled back servers.

Regards,

Patrick

Monday, March 20, 2017 12:45 PM
  • DId you happen to have any extra info on this issue, CoreScott?

Cheers,

Patrick

The problem with uninstalling this update is that it rolls back your build to a lower version than even before you installed the March windows updates.
    Monday, March 20, 2017 1:38 PM
  • Single Exchange 2016 standard server on Windows Server STD 2016.  Having the same issue and getting the same events in the event viewer.  Opened a support ticket on March 17th 2017.  Our server is not the only ticket open with this issue, I believe they said there are 5 other similar open tickets.

Workaround was to disable the Content Filter Agent.  We were unable to uninstall the update.

Microsoft is collecting debug information and working on a fix.

Tuesday, March 21, 2017 8:26 PM
  • Thank you for your feedback!

Best Regards,
    David Wang

Wednesday, March 22, 2017 1:35 AM
  • Single Exchange 2016 standard server on Windows Server STD 2016.  Having the same issue and getting the same events in the event viewer.  Opened a support ticket on March 17th 2017.  Our server is not the only ticket open with this issue, I believe they said there are 5 other similar open tickets.

Workaround was to disable the Content Filter Agent.  We were unable to uninstall the update.

Microsoft is collecting debug information and working on a fix.

Thanks, can you update here when fix is available?

Cheers,

Patrick

Wednesday, March 22, 2017 8:00 AM
  • CU5 for Exchange 2016 was released a few days ago, would this help with this issue?
    Wednesday, March 22, 2017 3:59 PM
  • CU5 for Exchange 2016 was released a few days ago, would this help with this issue?
    Looking at the server I noticed that we only have CU3 installed.  Anyone else having the issue have CU5 installed?
    Wednesday, March 22, 2017 6:15 PM
  • Hi guys last night i have installed CU5 and it seems that it's not fix the issue with content filter, even if i run

Set-ContentFilterConfig -InternalMailEnabled $true

Set-ContentFilterConfig -ExternalMailEnabled $true

get-transportagnet give me false

edit: also have to start content filter

Enable-TransportAgent "Content Filter Agent"

restart transport service and it working now :)

• Edited by OOSOO Thursday, March 23, 2017 8:35 AM
    Thursday, March 23, 2017 8:06 AM
  • I installed CU5 on both of my Edge Exchange 2016 servers and the upgrade went fine.

I then updated Windows with the March updates and after rebooting the Transport service won't start again so installing CU5 does *not* fix this issue.

• Edited by SW97C Thursday, March 23, 2017 1:26 PM
    Thursday, March 23, 2017 1:25 PM
  • edit: also have to start content filter

That part is NEW (SW97C) also tried that? I'm going to.

Thanks for sharing!

Cheers,

Patrick

Thursday, March 23, 2017 2:04 PM
  • Hi guys last night i have installed CU5 and it seems that it's not fix the issue with content filter, even if i run

Set-ContentFilterConfig -InternalMailEnabled $true

Set-ContentFilterConfig -ExternalMailEnabled $true

get-transportagnet give me false

edit: also have to start content filter

restart transport service and it working now :)

We upgraded our server from CU3 to CU5 today.  Enabled the Content Filter Agent and restarted the Transport service and everything seems to be working.

Don't know if the new update or the act of installing the update (after the windows update was applied) reset something that may have fixed it.

• Edited by Unit764 Thursday, March 23, 2017 3:10 PM
    Thursday, March 23, 2017 3:09 PM

Thanks for sharing!

Cheers,

Patrick

Can you just clarify the commands and when they should be run...ie: before or after the updates are installed and I will try this as well! And then report back.
    Thursday, March 23, 2017 3:48 PM

• Exchange 2016 on Windows Server 2016 Std. Clean installation about two weeks ago. Org config from previous exchange 2013 cu15. Sophos PureMessage is running on the Exchange 2016. 

After installing the security update kb 4013429 yesterday, our Exchange 2016 have the same problem, same errors and same results as described in this topic when trying to fix the problem.
    My first tought was, that PureMessage may cause the problem, but it doesn't seem so.

Disabling the Content Filter Agent fixes the problem. Didn't have the time to uninstall and reinstall the security update yet (also we don't rely on the Content Filter Agent).

Thursday, March 23, 2017 5:42 PM

Thanks for sharing!

Cheers,

Patrick

Can you just clarify the commands and when they should be run...ie: before or after the updates are installed and I will try this as well! And then report back.

* Re-installed KB4013429

*  ran script uninstall-AntispamAgents.ps1

* Installed Exchange Update CU5

* ran script Install-AntiSpamAgents.ps1

* same nagging error as described in first message in this thread reappeared and resulting in a stopped transport service

* uninstalled content filter agent (causing the error): Uninstall-TransportAgent -Identity "Content Filter Agent"

* re-installed: Install-TransportAgent -Name "Content Filter Agent" -TransportAgentFactory "Microsoft.Exchange.Transport.Agent.ContentFilter.ContentFilterAgentFactory" -AssemblyPath "C:\Program Files\Microsoft\Exchange Server\V15\TransportRoles\agents\Hygiene\Microsoft.Exchange.Transport.Agent.Hygiene.dll"

* and enabled it: Enable-TransportAgent "Content Filter Agent"

NO GO :-( - same error. Where is the fix MS??!!

"m running now with a disabled content filter agent.

Cheers, 

Patrick

Friday, March 24, 2017 8:21 AM
  • These issues have been acknowledged my Microsoft

https://blogs.technet.microsoft.com/exchange/2017/03/23/exchange-server-edge-support-on-windows-server-2016-update/

Exchange 2007 reaches end of life on April 11th. What’s your plan to move?

So basically, I have to use Windwos Server 2012 R2 as the OS if I want to use the Exchange 2016 Edge role with the content filter agent?

I'm also a bit confused by this:

If you are running the Edge role on Windows Server 2016:

1. Delay deploying KB4013429 to your Edge role or uninstall the update if required to restore service

Does that mean if I wait long enough a further (revised) update will be released that will allow me to continue using the Edge role installed on Windows Server 2016 (and the Transport service will start)?

• Edited by SW97C Friday, March 24, 2017 12:50 PM
    Friday, March 24, 2017 12:46 PM

https://blogs.technet.microsoft.com/exchange/2017/03/23/exchange-server-edge-support-on-windows-server-2016-update/

So basically, I have to use Windwos Server 2012 R2 as the OS if I want to use the Exchange 2016 Edge role with the content filter agent?

1. Delay deploying KB4013429 to your Edge role or uninstall the update if required to restore service

Does that mean if I wait long enough a further (revised) update will be released that will allow me to continue using the Edge role installed on Windows Server 2016 (and the Transport service will start)?

I take that as don't install at all or remove.

Friday, March 24, 2017 2:28 PM

Don't install what, the patch or Edge on Server 2016?
    Friday, March 24, 2017 2:49 PM

Both :)

Friday, March 24, 2017 3:15 PM

:-( :-(

This is really CRAP with capital C. This is clearly a BUG. Don't come with 'BUY EOP' or do not install an edge on WIN2016. That is so lame and lazy behaviour. Where is this stated in the requirement assesment??

Also a message from Jordan Zielin (if I may quote him): 

This is silly.
    1) No one installed an edge server and used MS’s built in protection. You do an edge server and use a 3rd party spam/antivirus
    2) KB4013429 did blow up my edge server and this is the only post I’ve seen about it and this is over a week after KB4013429 was released. Come on man!

We are still running exchange 2016 edge on windows 2016. KB4013429 was installed before exchange and everything is working fine. EOP requires Enterprise CALs. Very few of my 600 users have Enterprise CALs and the cost would be stunning to add it.

This is clearly a bug and instead of trying to sell Office365 crap fix the problem.
    [Rant](WE REALLY DO NOT WANT ANY OF IT! :) It cost more and this stuff isnt’ hard to run in house. Also, we’ve had no major outages in years and MS cloud stuff have massive outages 2 times in the last few weeks!.) [/Rant]

Wednesday, March 29, 2017 12:00 PM

:-( :-(

This is really CRAP with capital C. This is clearly a BUG. Don't come with 'BUY EOP' or do not install an edge on WIN2016. That is so lame and lazy behaviour. Where is this stated in the requirement assesment??

Also a message from Jordan Zielin (if I may quote him): 

This is silly.
    1) No one installed an edge server and used MS’s built in protection. You do an edge server and use a 3rd party spam/antivirus
    2) KB4013429 did blow up my edge server and this is the only post I’ve seen about it and this is over a week after KB4013429 was released. Come on man!

We are still running exchange 2016 edge on windows 2016. KB4013429 was installed before exchange and everything is working fine. EOP requires Enterprise CALs. Very few of my 600 users have Enterprise CALs and the cost would be stunning to add it.

This is clearly a bug and instead of trying to sell Office365 crap fix the problem.
    [Rant](WE REALLY DO NOT WANT ANY OF IT! :) It cost more and this stuff isnt’ hard to run in house. Also, we’ve had no major outages in years and MS cloud stuff have massive outages 2 times in the last few weeks!.) [/Rant]

Well, I don't work for Microsoft and I didn't suggest buying EOP  :)

Wednesday, March 29, 2017 12:34 PM
  • Exchange Server 2016 CU4 on Server 2016 Std (1607 14393.0)

After KB4013429 and/or KB4015217 "Microsoft Exchange Transport"-Service won't start!

• Microsoft Exchange couldn't initialize the Content Filter agent because ExSMime.dll couldn't be initialized. Verify that ExSMime.dll is properly registered by using Regsrv32.exe. Details: System.Runtime.InteropServices.COMException (0xC0630005): Exception from HRESULT: 0xC0630005

I can confirm that uninstalling this Updates and rebooting got my Exchange Server and the Transport Service working again.

How to temporarily prevent a update from reinstalling (tested on Windows 10, Server 2013 and 2016!)

I will install today CU5...

All started after 16.03.2017 (KB4013429): before than 6 Months without Problems!

• Edited by R-A-T Monday, April 17, 2017 8:05 AM
    • Proposed as answer by trickykid Tuesday, April 18, 2017 10:14 AM
    Sunday, April 16, 2017 2:16 PM
  • Exchange Server 2016 CU4 on Server 2016 Std (1607 14393.0)

After KB4013429 and/or KB4015217 "Microsoft Exchange Transport"-Service won't start!

I can confirm that uninstalling this Updates and rebooting got my Exchange Server and the Transport Service working again.

How to temporarily prevent a update from reinstalling (tested on Windows 10, Server 2013 and 2016!)

I will install today CU5...

All started after 16.03.2017 (KB4013429): before than 6 Months without Problems!

thanks for the heads up. MS is really pushing it...

Tuesday, April 18, 2017 10:04 AM
  • After KB4019472 is the same!!

Microsoft Exchange couldn't start transport agents. The Microsoft Exchange Transport service will be stopped. Exception details: Failed to create type 'Microsoft.Exchange.Transport.Agent.ContentFilter.ContentFilterAgentFactory' from assembly 'C:\Program Files\Microsoft\Exchange Server\V15\TransportRoles\agents\Hygiene\Microsoft.Exchange.Transport.Agent.Hygiene.dll' due to error 'Exception from HRESULT: 0xC0630005'. : Microsoft.Exchange.Data.ExchangeConfigurationException: Failed to create type 'Microsoft.Exchange.Transport.Agent.ContentFilter.ContentFilterAgentFactory' from assembly 'C:\Program Files\Microsoft\Exchange Server\V15\TransportRoles\agents\Hygiene\Microsoft.Exchange.Transport.Agent.Hygiene.dll' due to error 'Exception from HRESULT: 0xC0630005'. ---> Microsoft.Exchange.Data.ExchangeConfigurationException: Exception from HRESULT: 0xC0630005 ---> System.Runtime.InteropServices.COMException: Exception from HRESULT: 0xC0630005

Failed to create agent factory for the agent 'Content Filter Agent' with error 'Failed to create type 'Microsoft.Exchange.Transport.Agent.ContentFilter.ContentFilterAgentFactory' from assembly 'C:\Program Files\Microsoft\Exchange Server\V15\TransportRoles\agents\Hygiene\Microsoft.Exchange.Transport.Agent.Hygiene.dll' due to error 'Exception from HRESULT: 0xC0630005'.'. Please verify the corresponding transport agent assembly and dependencies with correct version are installed.

Microsoft Exchange couldn't initialize the Content Filter agent because ExSMime.dll couldn't be initialized. Verify that ExSMime.dll is properly registered by using Regsrv32.exe. Details: System.Runtime.InteropServices.COMException (0xC0630005): Exception from HRESULT: 0xC0630005
       at Microsoft.Exchange.Data.Transport.Interop.IComInvoke.ComAsyncInvoke(IProxyCallback callback)
       at Microsoft.Exchange.Transport.Agent.ContentFilter.Util.InvokeExLapi(ComProxy comProxy, AsyncCompletionCallback callback, ComArguments comArguments, MailItem mailItem, Byte[] requestType)
       at Microsoft.Exchange.Transport.Agent.ContentFilter.ContentFilterAgentFactory.InitializeFilter()

edgetransport (12660) IP Filtering Database: The database format feature version 9000 (0x2328) could not be used due to the current database format 1568.20.0, controlled by the parameter 1073741825 (0x40000001). 
    For more information, click http://www.microsoft.com/contentredirect.asp.

I will try today:

1. regsvr32 “c:\Program Files\Microsoft\Exchange Server\V15\Bin\ExSMime.dll”

-  Uninstall-TransportAgent -Identity “Content Filter Agent”
        - Install-TransportAgent -Name “Content Filter Agent” -TransportAgentFactory “Microsoft.Exchange.Transport.Agent.ContentFilter.ContentFilterAgentFactory” -AssemblyPath “C:\Program Files\Microsoft\ExchangeServer\V15\TransportRoles\agents\Hygiene\Microsoft.Exchange.Transport.Agent.Hygiene.dll”
    Thursday, May 11, 2017 8:22 AM
  • ... ups, wrong Profile (R. Trendafilov), so

regsvr32 “c:\Program Files\Microsoft\Exchange Server\V15\Bin\ExSMime.dll” worked for me (i make a server-restart to be sure)! After that I can start "Microsoft Exchange Transport"-Service.

OS Build now 14393.1198

... but after restart "MSExchangeNotificationsBroker", "MSExchangeUMCR" and "MSExchangeTransportLogSearch" won't start automatically... Active Sync won't work.

• WAS 5001: A process serving application pool 'MSExchangeECPAppPool' suffered a fatal communication error with the Windows Process Activation Service.
    • WAS 5001: A process serving application pool 'MSExchangeRpcProxyFrontEndAppPool' suffered a fatal communication error with the Windows Process Activation Service.
    • Perfnet 2006: Unable to read Server Queue performance data from the Server service. The first four bytes (DWORD) of the Data section contains the status code, the second four bytes contains the IOSB.Status and the next four bytes contains the IOSB.Information.

... sorry I have network-issue (Active Sync fails), anyway, I change those Services to "Automatic (Delayed Start)" and now all worked fine.

• Edited by R-A-T Thursday, May 11, 2017 2:21 PM
    Thursday, May 11, 2017 12:55 PM
  • This actually works, and makes it start successfully, however, I just noticed after doing this, "Content Filter Agent" ended up being set for Disabled.  (See Get-TransportAgent cmd)

After running the following command:

Enable-TransportAgent -Identity "Content Filter Agent"

Same error occurs.  So, it appears at this time the only solution is to uninstall the KB4013429 as recommended by CoreScott.

Sunday, October 15, 2017 9:25 AM