none
Best reporting tools for NTFS permissions on File Server RRS feed

• Question

• I am not sure if this is the correct forum or not, but I have an NTFS permissions question on Windows 2003 r2.  Basically we have a file server that has all kinds of different permissions on different folders, etc.  Over the past few years we have had Admins go in and give some of our Techs permissions to stuff they should not have permissions to and this is on various subfolders throughout the file server.  I can not think of a simple way for us to remove these permissions as we can not just remove them at the top level or reset everything underneath to be the same as some of the permissions at the top level, etc. 

So I guess we need a really good report of the user permissions on each folder(thousands) and then for us to search through those and try to find where our Techs have permissions?  Anyone have any ideas on the best tools to run that report, etc or any other ideas on this?

Thanks,

Dan
    Dan Heim
    Tuesday, November 17, 2009 3:50 PM

Answers

• These utilities all show ACLS to various degrees on files and folders.

Showacls.exe, calcs.exe, xcalcs.exe, xcalcs.vbs, and subinacl.exe

Personally, i use showacls.exe alot, but i only use it on folders....not sure if it does files.  Folders, is usually all you need, you can assume files inhereit permissions and/or you should correct that if the files they don't inherit permissions.

Calcs.exe *.* shows ACLS on files as well as folders, is built-in to windows 2003, but doesn't automatically recurse folders, so you need to write a batch file that will recurse the folders for you.

XCalcs.exe/vbs i don't use alot but know they exist.

Subinacl.exe i threw in as a guess, not positive but i think it will show you the acls, as well as replace them.

If you are moving data around and get access denied as an administrator use Robocopy.exe with the /B switch, to use the backup right and by pass security
    • Marked as answer by DaveBryan37 Wednesday, November 18, 2009 10:31 PM
    Tuesday, November 17, 2009 5:53 PM

All replies

• These utilities all show ACLS to various degrees on files and folders.

Showacls.exe, calcs.exe, xcalcs.exe, xcalcs.vbs, and subinacl.exe

Personally, i use showacls.exe alot, but i only use it on folders....not sure if it does files.  Folders, is usually all you need, you can assume files inhereit permissions and/or you should correct that if the files they don't inherit permissions.

Calcs.exe *.* shows ACLS on files as well as folders, is built-in to windows 2003, but doesn't automatically recurse folders, so you need to write a batch file that will recurse the folders for you.

XCalcs.exe/vbs i don't use alot but know they exist.

Subinacl.exe i threw in as a guess, not positive but i think it will show you the acls, as well as replace them.

If you are moving data around and get access denied as an administrator use Robocopy.exe with the /B switch, to use the backup right and by pass security
    • Marked as answer by DaveBryan37 Wednesday, November 18, 2009 10:31 PM
    Tuesday, November 17, 2009 5:53 PM
  • Check out PermissionMe NTFS Plus.  

It is a powerful tool that allows searching on Folder and File Permissions through large folder structures.  It will breakout nested groups to members only, and allow you to filter on many fields including username, manager, department, job title and more. 

It also allows updating ACL rights and Group Membership within the program. You can eliminate all non inherited rights on a folder in one command.

http://permissionme.com/Products/NTFSPlus.aspx

Saturday, May 16, 2015 12:35 PM
  • If you are serious about maintaining information security with NTFS permissions. Take a look at this Sway presentation link and the free installation of Resource Security Manager.

https://sway.com/v8EIrszmGjOv5XtR

Wednesday, June 7, 2017 10:04 PM
  • I would suggest you to try Vyapin NTFS Permissions Reporter for you File server NTFS Permissions reporting needs. This tool is very helpful in finding who has access to what in your Files, Folders and Shares.  
    Monday, October 21, 2019 10:17 AM