none
Test-CsMcxPushNotification not working

Question

• I have followed the mobility guide that came out earlier today on how to set up Lync Mobile on the Lync server end.  I am able to run Test-CsMcxP2PIM successfully.  I am also able to run Test-CsFederatedPartner with push.lync.com successfully.

However, when I try to run Test-CsMcxPushNotification I get the error:

Test-CsMcxPushNotification : Push Notification request was rejected with Diagnostics code '30008'.

Did I do something wrong, or am I just being impatient!

Friday, December 09, 2011 8:21 PM

Answers

All replies

• You are being impatient. ;-)

The push notifications will be enabled around time of the Lync Mobile client's release.

+Say thanks and observe basic forum courtesy:
    +If this post answered your question, Mark As Answer
    +If this post was helpful, Vote as Helpful

windowspbx blog: my thots/howtos
    see/submit Lync suggestions here: simple and public
    Saturday, December 10, 2011 12:09 AM
  • I get this when running it (againts the fqdn of the edge server):

Test-CsMcxPushNotification : A 500 (The server encountered an unexpected intern
    al error) response was received from the network and the operation failed. See
    the exception details for more information.
    At line:1 char:27
    + Test-CsMcxPushNotification <<<<  -AccessEdgeFqdn hqlyncedge.mydomain.com -v
    erbose
        + CategoryInfo          : OperationStopped: (:) [Test-CsMcxPushNotificatio
       n], FailureResponseException
        + FullyQualifiedErrorId : WorkflowNotCompleted,Microsoft.Rtc.Management.Sy
       ntheticTransactions.TestMcxPushNotificationCmdle

Saturday, December 10, 2011 2:13 AM
  • As noted, the push notification service is not currently in service. It will be brought into service coinciding with mobile client release. w(indowsphone 7 is slated for this coming monday, Dec 12.)

hope this helps,

+Say thanks and observe basic forum courtesy:
    +If this post answered your question, Mark As Answer
    +If this post was helpful, Vote as Helpful

windowspbx blog: my thots/howtos
    see/submit Lync suggestions here: simple and public
    Saturday, December 10, 2011 3:38 AM
  • I figured as much.  I'll be checking on Monday ;)
    Saturday, December 10, 2011 5:06 AM
  • But the test is failing at my server, not the target.  I believe the 500 error is coming from my environment.  As you can see the other person gets a rejected message.  I get a 500 server error

Saturday, December 10, 2011 9:54 PM
  • I've got the same error right now, is the push notification service operational yet?
    Certified IT Professional Lync Server 2010 / Exchange 2007 - http://www.uwictpartner.be
    If you think my post is the answer to your question, please mark it as answer so future visitors can easily find it.
    Monday, December 12, 2011 12:56 PM
  • I have the WP7 Lync client working perfectly, except the push doesent seem to be working

when i run a test i get this message;

Test-CsMcxPushNotification : Push Notification request was rejected.
    + Test-CsMcxPushNotification <<<<  -AccessEdgeFqdn edge.domain.com

+ CategoryInfo          : OperationStopped: (:) [Test-CsMcxPushNotificatio
       n], SyntheticTransactionException
        + FullyQualifiedErrorId : WorkflowNotCompleted,Microsoft.Rtc.Management.Sy
       ntheticTransactions.TestMcxPushNotificationCmdlet

Monday, December 12, 2011 3:11 PM
  • Test-CsMcxPushNotification is not working still for me either.  But I do seem to be getting the notification on my phone...

Monday, December 12, 2011 3:30 PM
  • Im on the phone with them right now, i will post an update from MS
    Monday, December 12, 2011 3:32 PM
  • Thanks Tim.  Seems like some people get the 500 error, and some the denied message, but both at the same spot in the script (Line 1: char 27)

Would like to know what they say.

Maybe the people who gets the denied message, has an issue with the federation, or something.

Cheers

Monday, December 12, 2011 3:54 PM
  • Also looking forward for some info right now. Without Push, the client is useless.
    Monday, December 12, 2011 3:56 PM
  • From what I see in the traces it seems to exit our Lync servers but fails when the request is being forwarded to the notification service of MS :-S

Maybe they have too much load on there servers after Lync Mobile got available today?

Monday, December 12, 2011 4:21 PM
  • Yours is really working?

I heard that the issue is maybe related to a dependant December CU for Lync which is not released yet :-(

If you say that you got it working, than this rumor can be safely ignored :-P

Monday, December 12, 2011 4:55 PM
  • Any news Tim?
    Monday, December 12, 2011 6:31 PM
  • Still on the phone with them. a total of 53 minutes on hold and 4 transfers
    Monday, December 12, 2011 6:42 PM
  • After all this im only at the created ticket stage :( So Im waiting for a call back from Lync Support.
    Monday, December 12, 2011 6:52 PM
  • Ok, well thanks for the update.  I can confirm that push is not working, and that when logging MCX, I get the following when attempting push notifications to an external user:  (Multiple entries, so scroll down)  You can mention this to them.

##### 1st entry #####:

<<<<< [Mcx.exception] -----

##### 2nd entry #####:

ResponseCode=500 ResponseText=The server encountered an unexpected internal error
    DiagnosticInformation=ErrorCode=1034,Source=sip.MYDOMAIN.com,Reason=Previous hop federated peer did not report diagnostic information
    Microsoft.Rtc.Signaling.DiagnosticHeader
    Microsoft.Rtc.Signaling.FailureResponseException:A 500 (The server encountered an unexpected internal error) response was received from the network and the operation failed. See the exception details for more information.
       at Microsoft.Rtc.Internal.Mcx.SessionManager.EndSendMessage(IAsyncResult asyncResult)
       at Microsoft.Rtc.Internal.Mcx.PushNotifications.PushNotificationChannel.SendMessageCallback(IAsyncResult ucmaAsyncResult)
    Detected at System.Environment.get_StackTrace()
       at Microsoft.Rtc.Signaling.FailureResponseException..ctor(String message, Exception innerException, SipResponseData responseData)
       at Microsoft.Rtc.Signaling.RealTimeException.GetWrappedRealTimeException(String message, SipResponseData responseData, Exception exceptionToWrap)
       at Microsoft.Rtc.Signaling.SipTransactionAsyncResult`1.ProcessFailureResponse(SipResponse response)
       at Microsoft.Rtc.Signaling.SipMessageAsyncResult.ProcessFailureResponse(SipResponse response)
       at Microsoft.Rtc.Signaling.SipTransactionAsyncResult`1.Transaction_ResponseReceived(Object sender, ResponseReceivedEventArgs e)
       at Microsoft.Rtc.Internal.Sip.OutgoingNonInviteTransaction.OnResponseReceived(EventArgs e)
       at Microsoft.Rtc.Internal.Sip.SingleThreadedDispatcherQueue.DispatcherCallback(Object queue)
       at System.Threading._ThreadPoolWaitCallback.PerformWaitCallbackInternal(_ThreadPoolWaitCallback tpWaitCallBack)
       at System.Threading._ThreadPoolWaitCallback.PerformWaitCallback(Object state)

##### 3rd Entry #####:

----- [Mcx.callstack] >>>>>

##### 4th Entry #####:

at System.Environment.get_StackTrace()
       at Microsoft.Rtc.Internal.Mcx.Utilities.Wpp.Exception(Exception ex)
       at Microsoft.Rtc.Internal.Mcx.PushNotifications.PushNotificationChannel.SendMessageCallback(IAsyncResult ucmaAsyncResult)
       at Microsoft.Rtc.Internal.Mcx.Utilities.AsyncResultImpl`1.Complete(Object result, Exception e, Boolean completedSynchronously)
       at Microsoft.Rtc.Internal.Mcx.Utilities.AsyncResultImpl`1.Complete(Exception e, Boolean completedSynchronously)
       at Microsoft.Rtc.Internal.Mcx.SessionManager.SendMessageCallback(IAsyncResult result)
       at Microsoft.Rtc.Signaling.SipAsyncResult2`1.MakeCallback()
       at Microsoft.Rtc.Signaling.SipTransactionAsyncResult`1.MakeCallback()
       at Microsoft.Rtc.Signaling.QueueWorkItemState.ExecuteWrappedMethod(WaitCallback method, Object state)
       at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.Run(ExecutionContext executionContext, ContextCallback callback, Object state)
       at System.Threading._ThreadPoolWaitCallback.PerformWaitCallbackInternal(_ThreadPoolWaitCallback tpWaitCallBack)

##### 5th Entry #####:

(0000000003C5A6CC)<PushNotificationChannel_63284940> Response code: 500

##### 6th Entry #####:

(0000000003C5A6CC)<PushNotificationChannel_63284940> Failed to send push notification: unspecified reason. op[<AsyncResultImpl`1_9421088>]

##### 7thEntry #####:

<<<<< [Mcx.exception] -----

##### 8th Entry #####:

Microsoft.Rtc.Internal.Mcx.McxException: Unknown value
       at Microsoft.Rtc.Internal.Mcx.PushNotifications.PushNotificationChannel.EndSend(IAsyncResult asyncResult)
       at Microsoft.Rtc.Internal.Mcx.PushNotifications.PushNotificationClient.SendCallback(IAsyncResult result)

##### 9th Entry #####:

----- [Mcx.callstack] >>>>>

##### 10th Entry #####:

at System.Environment.get_StackTrace()
       at Microsoft.Rtc.Internal.Mcx.Utilities.Wpp.Exception(Exception ex)
       at Microsoft.Rtc.Internal.Mcx.PushNotifications.PushNotificationClient.SendCallback(IAsyncResult result)
       at Microsoft.Rtc.Internal.Mcx.Utilities.AsyncResultImpl`1.Complete(Object result, Exception e, Boolean completedSynchronously)
       at Microsoft.Rtc.Internal.Mcx.Utilities.AsyncResultImpl`1.Complete(Exception e, Boolean completedSynchronously)
       at Microsoft.Rtc.Internal.Mcx.SessionManager.SendMessageCallback(IAsyncResult result)
       at Microsoft.Rtc.Signaling.SipAsyncResult2`1.MakeCallback()
       at Microsoft.Rtc.Signaling.SipTransactionAsyncResult`1.MakeCallback()
       at Microsoft.Rtc.Signaling.QueueWorkItemState.ExecuteWrappedMethod(WaitCallback method, Object state)
       at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.Run(ExecutionContext executionContext, ContextCallback callback, Object state)

Monday, December 12, 2011 7:14 PM
  • Lync Server 2010 configured as documented here: http://AgileIT.co/LyncMobileServer

Lync Mobile installed and logs in correctly with AutoDiscover.

Push notifications work correctly.  Even after a reboot to WP device and not launching Lync client…I receive notifications.

However, even with it working, it looks the second test in the mobility guide isn’t working yet.

• Successful Test in Mobility Guide:
      Test-CsFederatedPartner -TargetFqdn lync-02.agileit.com -Domain push.lync.com -ProxyFqdn sipfed.online.lync.com

TargetFqdn : lync-02.agileit.com
      Result     : Success
      Latency    : 00:00:00
      Error      :
      Diagnosis  :
    • Failed Test in Mobility Guide
      Test-CsMcxPushNotification -AccessEdgeFqdn lync-02.agileit.com

Test-CsMcxPushNotification : Push Notification request was rejected with Diagnostics code '30008'.
          + Test-CsMcxPushNotification <<<<  -AccessEdgeFqdn lync-02.agileit.com

+ CategoryInfo          : OperationStopped: (:) [Test-CsMcxPushNotification], SyntheticTransactionException
         + FullyQualifiedErrorId : WorkflowNotCompleted,Microsoft.Rtc.Management.SyntheticTransactions.TestMcxPushNotificationCmdlet

Has anyone gotten both tests to work?  The push notification service is acccepting requests as detailed in my edge server log:

TL_INFO(TF_PROTOCOL) [0]05E4.0FE4::12/1

3/2011-00:20:25.240.0000f812 (SIPStack,SIPAdminLog::TraceProtocolRecord:SIPAdminLog.cpp(125))$$begin_record
    Trace-Correlation-Id: 3939670269
    Instance-Id: 00021BDD
    Direction: incoming;source="external edge";destination="internal edge"
    Peer: sipfed.online.lync.com:5061
    Message-Type: response
    Start-Line: SIP/2.0 200 OK
    From: "Agile Test"<sip:McxUser73663b3b90064b6c9d2051f847767634agiletest@agileit.com>;tag=a92994dcf2;epid=E305321D52
    To: "Push Notification Clearing House

Tuesday, December 13, 2011 12:28 AM
  • Hi John,

Yes, my 500 error now went away, and I get the same error as you listed above.  I now believe the Lync clearinghouse has been generating these errors, and it is not on our end.  No other way the error could all of a sudden change.

One user reported their push notifications are working now, even though the error still shows up on the test.  The user was on their home screen, and a notification came through that there was a new lync message. 

Have you tried it with an actual users?

Good luck

Tuesday, December 13, 2011 12:47 AM
  • Stephan,

That was from my live account (I changed the sip addresses to protect email harvesters).

We've deployed it on our 20 Windows Phones and all users report full push notifications working without issues when they are in other apps.

I think your right that is on the Microsoft end (and only our test commands fail)...or a typo in the mobility guide.

Is push working yet for you now that you get code 30008?  You may want to search for sip:push@push.lync.com in your edge server logging to validate as shown below:

TL_INFO(TF_PROTOCOL) [0]05E4.0FE4::12/13/2011-00:20:25.240.0000f812 (SIPStack,SIPAdminLog::TraceProtocolRecord:SIPAdminLog.cpp(125))$$begin_record
    Trace-Correlation-Id: 3939670269
    Instance-Id: 00021BDD
    Direction: incoming;source="external edge";destination="internal edge"
    Start-Line: SIP/2.0 200 OK
    From: "Agile Test"<sip:McxUser73663b3b90064b6c5c6751f847767634agiletest@agileit.com>;tag=a92994dcf2;epid=E305321D52
    To: "Push Notification Clearing House"<sip:push@push.lync.com>;tag=1ee762c578
    CSeq: 483 MESSAGE
    Call-ID: 8540945cfe4848bfa223596df7de1030
    Via: SIP/2.0/TLS 64.87.26.250:61046;received=207.46.5.9;branch=z9hG4bK8A905471.D54C9C27485014C9;branched=FALSE;ms-internal-info="ac64aiem9YJpOakjG1gQlznbO3-CU9jhWRJ2t3ZKIjrAsnnEzVpiWhxgAA";ms-received-port=61046;ms-received-cid=39B8400,SIP/2.0/TLS 10.77.77.81:53165;branch=z9hG4bKA2BB0EBC.ADDD27899645C4C8;branched=FALSE;ms-received-port=53165;ms-received-cid=D6200,SIP/2.0/TLS 10.77.77.81:53293;branch=z9hG4bKdec1760;ms-received-port=53293;ms-received-cid=176F00
    CONTENT-LENGTH: 0
    CONTENT-TYPE: application/vnd.microsoft.lync.pushNotification+xml; charset="Unicode (UTF-8)"
    SERVER: RTCC/4.0.0.0 PnchApplication
    ms-diagnostics-public: 30000;Reason="Success"
    ms-asserted-verification-level: ms-source-verified-user=verified
    Message-Body: –
    $$end_record

Tuesday, December 13, 2011 1:36 AM
  • I can confirm that yesterday push notifications were not working for me and today they do. Still get errors on the Test-cmdlets.
    I blogged some details on Pro-Exchange
    Certified IT Professional Lync Server 2010 / Exchange 2007 - http://www.uwictpartner.be
    If you think my post is the answer to your question, please mark it as answer so future visitors can easily find it.
    Tuesday, December 13, 2011 8:08 AM
  • I can confirm too. I guess the service needed to get up and running still :-)
    Tuesday, December 13, 2011 8:49 AM
  • I had error 500 too yesterday; now I get "Push Notification request was rejected with Diagnostics code '30008'. And I cannot see Push settings on the mobile client.
    Johann Deutinger | MCITP Lync 2010 | MCTS Exchange 2010, OCS | ucblog.deutinger.de | http://twitter.com/jwdberlin
    Tuesday, December 13, 2011 9:45 AM
  • Still get the 500 Error - no Change to yesterday :-(

Test-CsMcxPushNotification : A 500 (The server encountered an unexpected internal error) response was received from the
     network and the operation failed. See the exception details for more information.
    + Test-CsMcxPushNotification <<<<  -AccessEdgeFqdn intenalfqdn -verbose
        + CategoryInfo          : OperationStopped: (:) [Test-CsMcxPushNotification], FailureResponseException
        + FullyQualifiedErrorId : WorkflowNotCompleted,Microsoft.Rtc.Management.SyntheticTransactions.TestMcxPushNotificat
       ionCmdlet

Any Ideas what goes wrong in my Environment? I do not get the change in the errorstate...

Lync Mobile autodiscover works like charm und connecting my WP7 Devices is working perfectly...

Pushnotifcations do not work...

Tuesday, December 13, 2011 10:52 AM
  • Push setting is now visible on the mobile client!
    Johann Deutinger | MCITP Lync 2010 | MCTS Exchange 2010, OCS | ucblog.deutinger.de | http://twitter.com/jwdberlin
    Tuesday, December 13, 2011 11:34 AM
  • And now I get notifications on new IM!
    • Edited by jwdberlin Tuesday, December 13, 2011 11:46 AM typo
    Tuesday, December 13, 2011 11:42 AM
  • As time goes by...

Now i'm in the state of

+ Test-CsMcxPushNotification <<<<  -AccessEdgeFqdn srv3fe03.lm2.at -verbose
        + CategoryInfo          : OperationStopped: (:) [Test-CsMcxPushNotification], SyntheticTransactionException
        + FullyQualifiedErrorId : WorkflowNotCompleted,Microsoft.Rtc.Management.SyntheticTransactions.TestMcxPushNotificat
       ionCmdlet

it seem's that the Cloudservice is moving towards Austria - hopefully we get it working in the next view hours - as it seems to work in germany already ;-) 

Tuesday, December 13, 2011 12:49 PM
  • The cloud has arrived in Austria ! - it is working now - but still get the error "Push Notification request was rejected with Diagnostics code '30008'."

Tuesday, December 13, 2011 12:56 PM
  • I am still working with Microsoft. they have also assigned my ticket to both teams Lync and Cloud. I have just sent them over 50MB of Lync log files. They have confirmed nothing misconfigured on the servers. so they will be investigating the issues baised on my logs and their Push Services.
    If this post answered your question, Mark As Answer If this post was helpful, Vote as Helpful
    Tuesday, December 13, 2011 2:10 PM
  • Push not working for us either please let me know what you find.

cmcgreanor
    Wednesday, December 14, 2011 5:03 AM
  • In the same boat, 30008 error code and no clue as to what the actual error is.  Can't find anything wrong with the settings inputed and all the other tests pass.  Realy hope they come up with something soon and that you're able to post it Tim.

K.

Wednesday, December 14, 2011 1:36 PM
  • Still failing here as well.  I have getting 504 (Server time-out) from Test-CsFederatedPartner and Push Notification request was rejected from Test-CsMcxPushNotification.

The logging on the server is saying Not sending push because app id or pnksey is invalid/throttled.

Wednesday, December 14, 2011 3:40 PM
  • A question for everyone that is having this issue: What public CA are you using for your external certificates?
    Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    Wednesday, December 14, 2011 4:17 PM
  • Digicert for SIP and GoDaddy for Reverse Proxy. Push notifications works very well here - the test cmdlet still results in 30008 error.
    Wednesday, December 14, 2011 4:19 PM
  • I am thinking it may be an issue with the GoDaddy certs. We currently have GoDaddy for our RP cert (the one with the LyncDiscover SAN entry) and Edge cert. Since GoDaddy's root and intermediate certs are not automatically installed on Windows servers, this may be the reason that you are getting the 504 server time-out  and the 30008 errors when you run the test-csfederatedpartner and test-csmcxpushnotification cmdlets respectively. Even though they seem to be failing when you run the test cmdlets, they will still work. This is evident with federating with companies that are using Office 365 Lync that we are federated with as well as the push notifications actually working.

And I have seen the test cmdlets work for clients that use officially supported CA's like Comodo and Digicert. So it seems to be pretty consistent that you get these errors when you use GoDaddy certs that contain the LyncDiscover SAN entry.

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.

• Edited by Purvis13 Wednesday, December 14, 2011 4:39 PM
    Wednesday, December 14, 2011 4:28 PM
  • GoDaddy for both Edge and TMG RP, additionally the RP is a wildcard cert.
    Wednesday, December 14, 2011 4:31 PM
  • Thwate on all servers.
    Wednesday, December 14, 2011 4:35 PM
  • So here is the list of officially supported CA's from http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929395

Entrust, Comodo, DigiCert, GlobalSign, and WISeKey

All other like GoDaddy and Thwarte will give you the errors on this thread.

Wednesday, December 14, 2011 4:45 PM
  • So here is the list of officially supported CA's from http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929395

Entrust, Comodo, DigiCert, GlobalSign, and WISeKey

All other like GoDaddy and Thwarte will give you the errors on this thread.

Are you sure? We use GoDaddy - at least for RP - and push works without problem!
    Wednesday, December 14, 2011 4:52 PM
  • Not positive but that is why I asked what public CA people with this issue were having. From my own testing and different client deployments, I have seen that with GoDaddy, it is failing on the test cmdlets but push and everything else works fine.
    Wednesday, December 14, 2011 4:57 PM
  • DigiCert for all roles and verified with the Digicert Utility, installation is OK
    Wednesday, December 14, 2011 5:07 PM
  • We use Godaddy, but selected Starfield when we renewed the certificates recently. 

Push notifications are working fine on WP7

We still see the 30008 error on the test. 

It seems like it took longer than expected for the new settings to propogate accross all MS Cloud servers.  This is why some people started off seeing the 500 error, while others saw the 30008 error from the start. 

Once you get the 30008 error, and your environment is setup correctly, then all seems well.

ONE THING TO NOTE:

I followed the installation instructions carefully, but then noticed a warning on my edge regarding federation, stating that I had both an online provider as well as a federated partner with the same edge specified.  This was due to the fact that I added individual federated domains to our environment that was hosted on Lync Online, and specified their edge server.

I then reviewed (http://tiny.cc/l4548) and realized that once I added an online provider (ie Lync Online) with the edge specified, I did not have to add the individual Office 365/Lync Online domains.  They will all be federated.  I then removed all the domains I added manually.  I am not sure if this then fixed my federation with push.lync.com, but this may be why some people are getting timeouts, not sure.

Wednesday, December 14, 2011 6:09 PM
  • Our system is working now, someone buggered all the DNS entries for the RP when LyncDiscovery was add.  I agree on the suspicion on GoDaddy being the root for the '30008' error, but, it still works.
    Thursday, December 15, 2011 3:43 AM
  • I am using Entrust certs. "Push notification rejected"

Alex Ignatenko | MCITP:Lync 2010, Messaging, Server 2008 | MCTS:UC Voice, Virtualisation, SCCM, SCOM, OCS | MCSE: Security
    Thursday, December 15, 2011 3:52 AM
  • I'm also getting the 504 (Server time-out) error when running the Test-CsMcxPushNotification and Test-CsFederatedPartner cmdlets and I'm not sure what else to check. I've tested federation with another domain and it's working fine. The bolded section is something new and I haven't seen this before. Could someone point me in the right direction? Thank you.

Below is our stack trace:

TL_INFO(TF_PROTOCOL) [0]0584.07C4::12/15/2011-03:13:49.234.0000240e (SIPStack,SIPAdminLog::TraceProtocolRecord:SIPAdminLog.cpp(125))$$begin_record
    Trace-Correlation-Id: 1142106135
    Instance-Id: 00000046
    Direction: outgoing;source="external edge";destination="internal edge"
    Peer: frontend.domain.net:57612
    Start-Line: SIP/2.0 504 Server time-out
    From: <sip:Options_User@domain.com>;epid=5C3A89BC78;tag=4cd33af95
    To: <sip:Options_User@push.lync.com>;tag=29E191D7C47AC504841450E924DED90D
    CSeq: 1 OPTIONS
    Call-ID: 57b584d9807543219bc33e2900c3c647
    Via: SIP/2.0/TLS 172.18.106.94:57612;branch=z9hG4bK5b3d1a8;ms-received-port=57612;ms-received-cid=D00
    Server: RTC/4.0
    Content-Length: 0
    ms-edge-proxy-message-trust: ms-source-type=DirectPartner;ms-ep-fqdn=accessedge.domain.net;ms-source-verified-user=unverified;ms-source-network=federation
    ms-diagnostics: 1034;reason="Previous hop federated peer did not report diagnostic information";Domain="push.lync.com";PeerServer="sipfed.online.lync.com";source="sip.domain.com"
    Message-Body: –
    $$end_record

Thursday, December 15, 2011 4:43 AM
  • We are getting the following in the logs:

Start-Line: SIP/2.0 504 Server time-out

Using a GoDaddy UCC certificate.

Thursday, December 15, 2011 11:32 AM
  • Just an update on my ticket with Microsoft,

They have esclated this to the Sr. Lync Team and they are currently deploying a lab to test the push. I have also noted the SSL question that came up in this thread and they will investigate that also.

Once i have another update i will post.

If this post answered your question, Mark As Answer If this post was helpful, Vote as Helpful
    Thursday, December 15, 2011 5:44 PM
  • Thanks Tim!
    Thursday, December 15, 2011 7:19 PM
  • I am using GoDaddy UC certificates on my Lync Edge server and TMG 2010 server and get the same 30008 error message as mentioned above when I run the Test-CsMcxPushNotification command. Both servers have the the complete certificate chain installed into the proper certificate store.

However, The good news is that Push Notifications does work from my Windows Mobile 7  client after I modified the settings within the Lync 2010 Mobile client to enable Push Notifications. I guess it is not enabled by default on the client.  Works great now!

Henry

Friday, December 16, 2011 8:20 AM
  • I have another update from Microsoft, Here is a copy and paste from an email i just received

"

Hi Tim,

Good Day! My name is Kamaraj and I am a Tech Lead in Microsoft Product Support Services. I understand that you have been working on Lync Push Notification issue with my Engineer Ramesh, on the above support incident. I had a discussion with our Sr. Technical Leads on the Push notifications issue that we are experiencing. The Case is now being looked at the most Top level Lync Mobility Group from our side and have set up an investigation to find why see the strange behavior. We have seen some reported issues across the board for few other users as well with regards to the Push notifications not being sent out from the Front end servers.

We apologize for taking time to figure this out. We would request you to give us some time and we are confident to get this sorted for you as soon as possible."

Friday, December 16, 2011 5:47 PM
  • Ok, we now get the 30008 when doing the test. When looking at logging on the edge server and testing between real users I can see the following:

ms-diagnostics-public: 30001;Reason="Push notification could not be delivered to the PNS"

Not sure if this helps.

Marcus

Saturday, December 17, 2011 2:46 PM
  • I had the same issue and have now managed to resolve it.

We had never used federation before setting up lync mobility, so it was not enabled on our Edge Server. There is nothing in the install documentation regarding it, and it also implies that it gets enabled while configuring the policies. I had noticed it before but ignored it as I thought they would mention somewhere in the documentation if it was required. Anyway, I enable and now it is working.

Go into "Lync Server Topology Builder" and edit the following:

Edge Pool -> Edit Properties -> General

and tick "Enable federation for this Edge pool (Port 5061)"

Publish the topology and re run installer on Edge server.

Allister

Sunday, December 18, 2011 9:02 PM
  • I had the same issue and have now managed to resolve it.

We had never used federation before setting up lync mobility, so it was not enabled on our Edge Server. There is nothing in the install documentation regarding it, and it also implies that it gets enabled while configuring the policies. I had noticed it before but ignored it as I thought they would mention somewhere in the documentation if it was required. Anyway, I enable and now it is working.

Go into "Lync Server Topology Builder" and edit the following:

Edge Pool -> Edit Properties -> General

and tick "Enable federation for this Edge pool (Port 5061)"

Publish the topology and re run installer on Edge server.

Allister

Im glad you where able to resolve your issue, as yes federation needs to be enabled for this to work. In my case federation has been enabled since we installed Lync. we know federation is working as we are federated with many MS partners, Office365, PIC and Microsoft. I still havent heard back from Microsoft regarding my ticket, but hopefully a resolution soon. This seems to be a big issue on their end as my ticket with them has been open for a week.
    Monday, December 19, 2011 3:52 PM
  • Allister:

I am having similar issues with not being able to receive push notifications.  I reading your response I see that our Lync Topology, never having used federation before, had this option unchecked.  I am following your steps, but what specifically do you mean by re-running the installer on the edge server?  In following the mobility guide from microsoft, I was under the assumption that you only installed the mobility/autodiscover on the front-end servers and director.

Thanks in Advance

Ken

Kenneth Clebak
    Monday, December 19, 2011 6:25 PM
  • Allister:

I am having similar issues with not being able to receive push notifications.  I reading your response I see that our Lync Topology, never having used federation before, had this option unchecked.  I am following your steps, but what specifically do you mean by re-running the installer on the edge server?  In following the mobility guide from microsoft, I was under the assumption that you only installed the mobility/autodiscover on the front-end servers and director.

Thanks in Advance

Ken

Kenneth Clebak
    Ken, You need to configure Edge federation to sipfed.online.lync.com in order for your deployment to communicate correctly with push.lync.com. Federation must be enabled and configured correctly with SSL certificates.
    Monday, December 19, 2011 7:12 PM
  • Allister:

I have configured federation and when I issue the test-csfederatedparter... it comes back as a success.  When I issue the test-csmcxpushnotification... it comes back with "Push Notification request was rejected with Diagnostic Code '30008'". 

From what I have read online multiple have gotten this error with this cmdlet, yet push notifications work, but not for me.  I have also read that it can be cert related, we are using godaddy wildcard certs on RP, and godaddy UCC SAN certs on Edge Server.

Other have mentioned they see logs files within Lync that show it connecting with push.lync.com.  Either I am on the running the Lync logging tool on the wrong Lync server or I am selecting the wrong components/flags, but I never see this in any of my log files.

Thanks in Advance

Ken

Kenneth Clebak
    Monday, December 19, 2011 8:39 PM
  • Ken, Alot of people are experiencing the same issues when they try test-csmcxpushnotification. I have a ticket open with microsoft, they have esclated this to the Sr. Lync people and are investigating the issue. Once i have a resolution from Microsoft I will update this post.
    Monday, December 19, 2011 8:49 PM
  • The issue seems to be intermittent.  Sometimes get '30008' and sometimes get success, the same with lync client tests. We also have the config "godaddy wildcard certs on RP, and godaddy UCC SAN certs on Edge Server."

Await to hear what MS have to say.

Monday, December 19, 2011 8:53 PM
  • I have the same issue also with error code "30008"; on the ipad/iphone if the device is locked the sender gets a time out until the idevice is unlocked.

However, office365 (get a trial account) works fine with/without the idevice being locked; looks like an issue MS side unless someone can offer an alternative suggestion/fix?

Tuesday, December 20, 2011 3:33 PM
  • Having the same issue with code 30008.  Lync notifications to iOS clients are not working.
    Tuesday, December 20, 2011 7:11 PM
  • Yesterday it wasn't working, today it is.

Microsoft changed something... I guess

Wednesday, December 21, 2011 9:15 AM
  • Same here - getting "success" now, even with GoDaddy cert on RP.
    Wednesday, December 21, 2011 9:22 AM
  • I just tried and test-csmcxpushnotification still returns "request was rejected" and notifications dont come through.

I spoke with Microsoft yesterday regarding my ticket, a whole team of people are working on this from UC leads to the Lync debug team. we did some more trace captures yesterday and sent them to MS yesterday evening, so im hoping this will be resolved soon. they did assure me that the right people are working to resolve this, its more of the matter of finding whats causing the link to fail and not come back up once the app is in a stand by mode.

I should receive a call today or tomorrow with another update.

Wednesday, December 21, 2011 1:03 PM
  • I have the same issue also with error code "30008"; on the ipad/iphone if the device is locked the sender gets a time out until the idevice is unlocked.

However, office365 (get a trial account) works fine with/without the idevice being locked; looks like an issue MS side unless someone can offer an alternative suggestion/fix?

just an update;

The error has now gone; so Microsoft have progressed the issue slightly ...

TargetFqdn :
    Result     : Success
    Latency    : 00:00:00
    Error      :
    Diagnosis  :

Even with the success result; the push to idevices which are locked still fail; returning a timeout to the sender; although Office365 works fine. 

Wednesday, December 21, 2011 2:44 PM
  • Yep, it's working today.  As far as IM's sent to locked iphone's timing out, we noticed the IM does get pushed to the device but if the user doesn't open the IM in Lync mobile within a minute or so, the sending client will not actually receive an acknowledgement that it was received, resulting in the timeout message. This will happen even if the device isn't locked, the only thing that matters is that Lync isn't open.
    Wednesday, December 21, 2011 4:55 PM
  • still "Push Notification request was rejected" for me :(
    Alex Ignatenko | MCITP:Lync 2010, Messaging, Server 2008 | MCTS:UC Voice, Virtualisation, SCCM, SCOM, OCS | MCSE: Security
    Wednesday, December 21, 2011 5:08 PM
  • Push Notifications now report Success, but our users are still not receiving Push Notifications when the phone is either locked or Lync is not running.
    Kenneth Clebak
    Wednesday, December 21, 2011 7:02 PM
  • I can confirm the test cmdlet now works for me.  Push notifications are working fine on my Windows Phone 7 device.  Can't speak to iOS devices though...

Wednesday, December 21, 2011 8:53 PM
  • With the assistance of Microsoft UC we have islolated the issue!!!
    The issue is with IIM Filtering! Performing traces on my edge server i received this error

message CONTENT-TYPE: application/vnd.microsoft.lync.pushNotification+xml; charset="Unicode (UTF-8)" SERVER: RTCC/4.0.0.0 PnchApplication ms-diagnostics-public: 30003;Reason="This message was sent with Bad Payload Format" ms-asserted-verification-level: ms-source-verified-user=verified

just after that error message in another message line i found this

User-Agent: RTCC/4.0.0.0 McxService/4.0.0.0 Content-Type: application/vnd.microsoft.lync.pushNotification+xml; charset="Unicode (UTF-8)" ms-routing-phase: from-uri-routing-done ms-application-via: 156;ms-pool=pool.domain.com;ms-application=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.microsoft.com%2FLCS%2FIIMFilter;ms-server=pool.domain.com Message-Body: Warning, You have just received an external hyperlink, if you feel this website is untrusted please contact email@address.com and close this IM window. <pushNotification xmlns:xsi="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema-instance" xmlns:xsd="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema" xmlns="http://push.lync.com"><pnsClass xmlns="">tile</pnsClass><applicationId xmlns="">0f961bb6-0a7e-4b72-bafd-10cdfed31c56</applicationId><pnsKey xmlns="">https://sn1.notify.live.net/unthrottledthirdparty/01.00/AAFroDLkJ5scR6DXE8sDaRKIAgAAAAADbAAAAAQUZm52OkJCMjg1QTg1QkZDMkUxREQ</pnsKey><pnsKeyTimeStamp xmlns="">2011-12-22T02:16:47.5301032Z</pnsKeyTimeStamp><payload xmlns=""><?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?><wp:Notification xmlns:wp="WPNotification"><wp:Tile><wp:BackgroundImage></wp:BackgroundImage><wp:Count>0</wp:Count><wp:Title></wp:Title></wp:Tile></wp:Notification></payload></pushNotification> $$end_record

When i noticed my URL Filter warning message, I disabled URL filtering, VOILA!!
    push notification is working wonderfully on both WP7 and Android. I dont have an iPhone/iPad to test. Now, Microsoft is going to work on a fix for this. they will
    be working on it for the next few days to see if they can come up with a "temporary" fix. if not it may have to be esclated to engineering. So if you can deal with no URL filtering on your edge then turn it OFF to get push working,
    if this is a policy of your company then you will need to wait for a quick fix or engineering to come up with a hotfix/KB
    • Edited by Tim_MCP Thursday, December 22, 2011 3:34 AM
    • Proposed as answer by Tim_MCP Thursday, December 22, 2011 3:35 AM
    Thursday, December 22, 2011 3:31 AM
  • I disabled IIM filter and test passes now. But notification push on WP7 still does not work :(

Did you do anything else other than filter disable?

Thanks,

• Edited by Alenat Thursday, December 22, 2011 5:16 AM
    Thursday, December 22, 2011 5:13 AM
  • message CONTENT-TYPE: application/vnd.microsoft.lync.pushNotification+xml; charset="Unicode (UTF-8)" SERVER: RTCC/4.0.0.0 PnchApplication ms-diagnostics-public: 30003;Reason="This message was sent with Bad Payload Format" ms-asserted-verification-level: ms-source-verified-user=verified

When i noticed my URL Filter warning message, I disabled URL filtering, VOILA!!
    push notification is working wonderfully on both WP7 and Android.

I can confirm exactly the same behavior, but I wasn't getting any URL warning messages. I was seeing replies from sipfed with "bad payload format"

Disabling URL filter fixed the push notifications and test-csmcxpushnotification synthetic transaction.

But here's the interesting part: Enabling URL filtering back, doesn't break push notifications O_o Will wait till tomorrow to confirm

PS: I couldn't find any differencing comparing successful and unsuccessful messages on the edge server

Thursday, December 22, 2011 6:02 AM
  • Hello.

Lync mobility configured and works.

Internal name of the edge server: lync-edge-srv01.xxx.o (it appears in the topology).

External name of the edge server: lync-edge.xxx.ru

Public certificate is not installed on the external edge (for lync-edge.xxx.ru),only for the internal domain (xxx.o).

Push notification don`t work.

In tests: Test-CsMcxPushNotification-AccessEdgeFqdn lync-edge-srv01.xxx.o

Test-CsFederatedPartner-TargetFqdn lync-edge-srv01.xxx.o-Domain push.lync.com-ProxyFqdn sipfed.online.lync.com

An Error occurs:

Test-CsMcxPushNotification: A 504 (Server time-out) response was received from the network and the operation failed. See the exception details for more information.

Can you please help.

I need to purchase a certificate?

like: Request-CSCertificate-New-Type AccessEdgeExternal, DataEdgeExternal, AudioVideoAuthentication-FriendlyName «Lync Edge External»-DomainName «lync-edge.xxx.ru, sip.xxx.ru»-KeySize 2048-PrivateKeyExportable $ True-ClientEKU $ True-output c : \ cert.txt

Or need something else?

Thanks in advance.

• Edited by GogolMogol Thursday, December 22, 2011 1:05 PM
    Thursday, December 22, 2011 12:56 PM
  • I disabled IIM filter and test passes now. But notification push on WP7 still does not work :(

Did you do anything else other than filter disable?

Thanks,

I also disabled file filter also just as a safety. I have been testing the push for the last 4 hours and every one comes throuh. i even logged my self on 2 WP7 and 1 android tablet send an IM and all 3 push devices worked with multi presence.
    Thursday, December 22, 2011 1:36 PM
  • Tim:

Glad to hear that you are up and running.  We are still having issues.  I check and we never had IIM filter enabled, but we did have File Filter enabled.  I tried disabling File Filter but it didnt seem to help.  Did you find that once you disable the filters via the Lync Control Panel that it started working instantly, or did you have to wait a specific amount of time?  Also, did Microsoft have you run OCSLogger and certain Lync servers and check for certain components and flags while troubleshooting?

Thanks

Ken

Kenneth Clebak
    Thursday, December 22, 2011 3:50 PM
  • Tim:

Glad to hear that you are up and running.  We are still having issues.  I check and we never had IIM filter enabled, but we did have File Filter enabled.  I tried disabling File Filter but it didnt seem to help.  Did you find that once you disable the filters via the Lync Control Panel that it started working instantly, or did you have to wait a specific amount of time?  Also, did Microsoft have you run OCSLogger and certain Lync servers and check for certain components and flags while troubleshooting?

Thanks

Ken

Kenneth Clebak
    after diabling the file/url filer you have to wait for replication, i just forced it by invoke-csmanagementstorereplication

Yes they had me run tests on the frontend and edge servers the errors where coming from the edge, in my case it was the warning message that was being parsed at the front of the pskey message that was giving the bad payload error.
    Thursday, December 22, 2011 3:53 PM
  • We can successfully run the ‘Get-FederatedPartner’ command but the ‘Test-CsMcxPushNotification’ command fails with ‘A 504 (server time-out)’. In tracing it succeeds all the way until MESSAGE sip:push@push.lync.com SIP/2.0 then suddently times out.

Even after a re-boot of front end server, push notificaiton still dont work.

Thursday, September 27, 2012 4:26 PM
  • I'm going to chime in and say that I am experiencing the same issue. Brand new Lync deployment, public certs all around, everything configured properly, but no push. Testing federation comes back fine, but Test-CsMcxPushNotification comes back with a 504. Interestingly enough, this was working for about a day after we got the public certs installed, then suddenly stopped. 
    Monday, October 01, 2012 6:18 PM
  • We have exactly the same issue. Could this be a hick-up at the Push Notification Clearinghouse side possibly?

Test-CSFederatedPartner with Lync online is fine.
    Test-CSMcxPushNotification returns the 504 Time out error.

Upto September 26th push was working just  fine. As of the 27th push fails and we regularly see the following event appear in the FE logs:

Log Name:      Lync Server
    Source:        LS Mobility Service
    Date:          1/10/2012 17:20:35
    Event ID:      52022
    Task Category: (1078)
    Level:         Error
    Keywords:      Classic
    User:          N/A
    Computer:      FE.domain.com
    Description:
    Mobility Service can't connect to the configured Push Notification Proxy:

sip:push@push.lync.com

Cause: The Push Notification Proxy is currently unreachable. This may be due to network issues or misconfiguration.
    Resolution:
    Ensure that the Push Notification Proxy URI is configured properly.

Tuesday, October 02, 2012 8:42 AM
  • Hi

Did you get it working yet. Its still the same 504 error for us. Is there any communication from MS about this being caused by an issue at their end?

Thursday, October 04, 2012 9:07 AM
  • Guys,

I've seen a tweet from the Lync server team that the Push Notification service is under maintenance and will be down until Monday 8th October 2012.  Your problems will hopefully be solved after.

https://twitter.com/DrRez/status/253614580952100864

"NOTICE: Push Notification Service is down until Monday Oct 8 2012 due to service upgrades and maintenance. Spread the word! "

Thursday, October 04, 2012 10:35 AM
  • Thank you for the info. I simply wasted over a week on TS. Will check it out on Monday.
    Thursday, October 04, 2012 10:49 AM
  • Man, that is maddening; thanks for the info as I have also wasted three days on this problem!

@DrRez, thx for your twitter feed!

Robert "Ben" Stewart BS, GIS, MCITP, MCSE, MCSA: Messaging

Thursday, October 04, 2012 9:56 PM
  • Hey guys! try it out now. Its working. It raises seious concerns though. MS had the service down for nearly 10 days without even an official announcement.
    • Proposed as answer by LyncJets Friday, October 05, 2012 7:40 AM
    Friday, October 05, 2012 7:40 AM
  • Hi,

As said in the other topic: the statement was that it is under maintenance until the 8th. Good news that it working again for you, but it could be that it will go down again during the weekend.

Friday, October 05, 2012 7:51 AM
  • I can confirm that as well, works for a bit then back offline.  Will test again on Monday to see if the service is stable.

Robert "Ben" Stewart BS, GIS, MCITP, MCSE, MCSA: Messaging

Friday, October 05, 2012 2:25 PM
  • Seems to be working again today. Test-CmsPushNotification returns success again.

Monday, October 08, 2012 8:40 AM