none
Cutover Migration to Exchange 2013 On-premises RRS feed

• Question

• I have two clients who will be merging their on-prem Exchange 
    organizations. Different forests.  I've done many cutover migrations to
    Office 365 for other clients so I'm familiar with the process.  My 
    question is:  Is it possible to do an O365-style cutover migration (create migration endpoint, cutover batch, etc.) from
    an on-prem Exchange 2010 server to an on-prem Exchange 2013 server using
    the same steps?

Thanks in advance for any input. 

Steve

Friday, January 23, 2015 7:41 PM

Answers

• hi steve .. no you explained well.. ok ass far as my experience you wont be able to do 365 way.. but yes you may want to do a cross forest trust and then migrate the mailboxes. if thats what you want to try but 365 way.. not sure. we can wait for others to reply.. but best of my knowledge you dont have those connection options in on-prem

Mark as useful or answered if my replies helped you solving your query.
    Thanks, Happiness Always
    Jatin

Saturday, January 24, 2015 8:26 PM
  • Hi,

Based on my knowledge, the Cutover Migration is used for migration to Exchange online. There is no related document about Cutover Migration from Exchange 2010 to Exchange 2013.

To perform Exchange 2010 corss-forest migration to Exchange 2013, you need to use Active Directory Migration Tool (ADMT) migrate user accounts.

Here is a related blog which may help you. (Even though this article is for Exchange 2010 corss-forest migration, it's also applies to cross-forest migration from Exchange 2010 to Exchange 2013.)

http://blogs.technet.com/b/meamcs/archive/2011/06/10/exchange-2010-cross-forest-migration-step-by-step-guide-part-i.aspx

Best regards,

If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com

Belinda Ma
    TechNet Community Support

Monday, January 26, 2015 7:19 AM

All replies

• hi steve .. not sure if i am able to understand above well.. but if we talking about cut-over migration from 2010 to 2013 .. and if you have the luxury of moving data with a downtime... then the process is quite simple... but not like the way you want to do as creating migrations endpoint. you can surely do a exchange 2013 in same environment in you 2010 setup and then move the data online without having any downtime. This is what i have done for my environment. I have created a guide for the same... may be you want to check.. please see this link https://www.dropbox.com/s/x7ae56awj8gyz1x/Migration%20from%20Exchange%202010%20to%20Exchange%202013.pdf?dl=0

Thanks, Happiness Always
    Jatin

Saturday, January 24, 2015 5:30 AM
  • Thank you for responding, Jatin.  I am not doing a very good job explaining my question.  Please let me try again.

I have two clients.  One company already has Exchange 2010 installed.  The other company already has Exchange 2013 installed.  Two completely separate forests.  I'm trying to determine the best method for migrating the 2010 mailboxes to the 2013 system.  Two completely separate forests.  Both Exchange systems already exist.  So, I cannot use the method in your guide.

I've done many Exchange migrations on-prem-to-on-prem and on-prem-to-Office 365.  I am trying to find out if I could possibly use the cutover migration method used for Office 365 migrations to do this cross-forest migration

Thanks.

Steve

Saturday, January 24, 2015 6:31 PM
  • hi steve .. no you explained well.. ok ass far as my experience you wont be able to do 365 way.. but yes you may want to do a cross forest trust and then migrate the mailboxes. if thats what you want to try but 365 way.. not sure. we can wait for others to reply.. but best of my knowledge you dont have those connection options in on-prem

Thanks, Happiness Always
    Jatin

Saturday, January 24, 2015 8:26 PM
  • Ok thank you again, sir, for your response!
    Saturday, January 24, 2015 10:19 PM
  • Hi,

Based on my knowledge, the Cutover Migration is used for migration to Exchange online. There is no related document about Cutover Migration from Exchange 2010 to Exchange 2013.

To perform Exchange 2010 corss-forest migration to Exchange 2013, you need to use Active Directory Migration Tool (ADMT) migrate user accounts.

Here is a related blog which may help you. (Even though this article is for Exchange 2010 corss-forest migration, it's also applies to cross-forest migration from Exchange 2010 to Exchange 2013.)

http://blogs.technet.com/b/meamcs/archive/2011/06/10/exchange-2010-cross-forest-migration-step-by-step-guide-part-i.aspx

Best regards,

If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com

Belinda Ma

Monday, January 26, 2015 7:19 AM
  • Hi,

Is there any update on this issue?

Best regards,

Belinda Ma

Wednesday, January 28, 2015 1:04 AM