Backup error "The backup/restore job failed because there is already another job scheduled." RRS feed

• Question

•  Here is the Error message I get when try to do a backup "The backup/restore job failed because there is already another job scheduled. Delete the timer job from the Timer Job Definitions page, and then restart the backup/restore job." How do I fix this?
    • Edited by Mike Walsh FIN Tuesday, January 6, 2009 7:11 PM Subject expanded - "Backup" alone is too little
    • Moved by Mike Walsh FIN Wednesday, March 31, 2010 5:08 PM admin q (From:SharePoint - General Question and Answers and Discussion (pre-SharePoint 2010))
    Tuesday, January 6, 2009 2:52 PM

Answers

• You must delete the Backup/Restore timer job after any failed backup or restore operation (such as an access denied error) before you can submit a new backup or restore request. SharePoint reports a conflict with the existing timer job until you delete it, preventing you from proceeding.

You can view SharePoint timer jobs in the Central Administration site’s Timer Job Definitions page, which you can access by clicking the Timer Job Definitions link in the Global Configuration section on the Operations page.  After you open the Timer Job Definitions page a linked entry is displayed in the page titled Backup/Restore with a Scheduling Type of One-Time. Click on the title for this entry to open its details in the Edit Timer Job page and then click the Delete button to remove the failed backup timer job.

John

MCTS: WSS v3, MOSS 2007, and SCOM 2007 Coming soon: the SharePoint 2007 Disaster Recovery Reference Guide, available January 2009: http://is.gd/da9q
    • Marked as answer by fmorales2 Wednesday, January 7, 2009 3:09 PM
    Tuesday, January 6, 2009 4:13 PM
  • I think that's a good idea.  Deleting the Timer Job will not have any impact on your users' experience within SharePoint, but it makes a great deal of sense to create your backup when usage is low or non-existent, so that the process is not competing for resources.

Let us know if you have any other questions.

John

MCTS: WSS v3, MOSS 2007, and SCOM 2007 ******* Coming soon: the SharePoint 2007 Disaster Recovery Reference Guide, available January 2009: http://is.gd/da9q
    Tuesday, January 6, 2009 4:55 PM

All replies

•  Delete the timer job manually from the central admin (operations). There is a timer job definitions page.
    SSA - http://sharepointblogs.com/ssa
    Tuesday, January 6, 2009 3:56 PM
  • I'm new to SharePoint as the 'Administrator'. My question is this, "How do I do this? Is there some place that I can get a step-by-step instructions or screen shots?" Hope some one can help. We are using WSS 3.0 and only have 33.98GB of information.
    Tuesday, January 6, 2009 4:07 PM
  • You must delete the Backup/Restore timer job after any failed backup or restore operation (such as an access denied error) before you can submit a new backup or restore request. SharePoint reports a conflict with the existing timer job until you delete it, preventing you from proceeding.

You can view SharePoint timer jobs in the Central Administration site’s Timer Job Definitions page, which you can access by clicking the Timer Job Definitions link in the Global Configuration section on the Operations page.  After you open the Timer Job Definitions page a linked entry is displayed in the page titled Backup/Restore with a Scheduling Type of One-Time. Click on the title for this entry to open its details in the Edit Timer Job page and then click the Delete button to remove the failed backup timer job.

John

MCTS: WSS v3, MOSS 2007, and SCOM 2007 Coming soon: the SharePoint 2007 Disaster Recovery Reference Guide, available January 2009: http://is.gd/da9q
    Tuesday, January 6, 2009 4:13 PM
  • I have to wait until tonight to try your instructions. We are using WSS as hospital Intranet and it impossible to 'shut it down' during the day. I will let you know tomorrow. Thanks
    Tuesday, January 6, 2009 4:21 PM
  • I think that's a good idea.  Deleting the Timer Job will not have any impact on your users' experience within SharePoint, but it makes a great deal of sense to create your backup when usage is low or non-existent, so that the process is not competing for resources.

Let us know if you have any other questions.

John

MCTS: WSS v3, MOSS 2007, and SCOM 2007 ******* Coming soon: the SharePoint 2007 Disaster Recovery Reference Guide, available January 2009: http://is.gd/da9q
    Tuesday, January 6, 2009 4:55 PM
  • I just followed your instructions and deleted 'Backup/Restore'. I will be doing a back up tonight and 'post' my results tonight or tomorrow. Thanks again.
    Tuesday, January 6, 2009 5:01 PM
  • I was able to do a back up last night so we are back in business. Thanks for all the help. My new question is "How do I delete old back ups?" Thanks again.
    Wednesday, January 7, 2009 3:08 PM
  • You can delete old backups from the storage location you specified through the Central Administration site's backup and restore tool by opening that directory in Windows Explorer and deleting the folder containing the backup you don't want anymore.

NOTE: do not manually update or modify the files in your backup packages, or the overall SPBRTOC.XML file. This action can potentially corrupt your backup files or your SharePoint components when you attempt to restore a modified package. Microsoft does not support writing to, moving, deleting, or renaming any of the files in SharePoint backup packages.

The Central Administration site will still show those old backups in the Backup History page (because that's driven by the SPBRTOC.XML file you shouldn't modify), but will display an error saying it can't find those packages if you try to restore one that you've deleted.

John
    Wednesday, January 7, 2009 4:44 PM
  • Since I'm still learning this stuff (On the job training). "Can you give me step-by-step on how to do this." I have some books but I learn better with hands on. Thanks in advance.
    Wednesday, January 7, 2009 4:54 PM
  • I've tried this process several times, deleting the backup job from the Timer listing.  I've even gone so far as to delete the job, reboot the server, and after the reboot restart the SharePoint services and databases (just to be sure). 

I then check the Timer Job listing, no backup shown.  However, when I try to initiate a backup job, I get the same error - The backup/restore job failed because there is already another job scheduled.

Any thoughts on what might be causing this behavior and how to stop it???

All help and advice is most appreciated!

Vincent Huckle
    IT Manager
    ASPPA
    www.asppa.org
    Tuesday, February 17, 2009 8:03 PM
  • Hi Vincent,

I had same issue! i didn't see any backup/restore job in job definitions!
    after some researches, i checked my sharepoint server and i saw that database server storage didn't have free space! (i get many errors for cleaning up drive c:). 
    however i cleand up database storage and when i ran backup process again, it worked correctly!

I think it may help you and i share it.

Regards,
    Arash
    Arash Aghajani - http://PSPCommunity.org (Persian SharePoint Community) Blog: http://pspcommunity.org/blogs/arash
    Saturday, October 17, 2009 10:17 AM
  • Hi...but I got a problem

I did the backup by stsadm tool...it failed and doesn't appear in timer job status or timer job definitions, but I can see it in backup and restore job status, and it's running!! I need to stop, to "kill" this process, but by central administration it's impossible. and now, when I try to do a backup, I receive the message "The backup/restore job failed because there is already another job scheduled."

I need some help

Tks!
    Thursday, January 21, 2010 3:10 PM
  • Hi,

Thanks for all of this discussion. It helped me a lot. But after deleting that time job, how can I bring it again, so that Sharepoint can make the backup on its schedule?

Thanks

Wednesday, March 31, 2010 3:03 PM
  • (as a side note, in the future it may be best to post your question as a separate thread, to get it the best possible exposure and response)

Once you delete the stalled backup timer job, you need to submit a new Backup operation request, either via Central Admin or STSADM, in order to start the process again.

The problem here is that the idea of the Backup operation as a timer job is misleading. While it is run as a timer job, this is done so it can be executed asynchronously on the server and allow other operations to also be started and completed while it is running, not so that it can be scheduled.

There is no way out of the box to schedule a backup operation via Central Admin or STSADM. You're going to have to set up a batch script to call the STSADM Backup operation, then create a Scheduled Task on a SharePoint server in your farm to call that batch file on a scheduled basis.

Does that make sense?

John
    MCTS: WSS v3, MOSS 2007, and SCOM 2007

Now Available on Amazon - The SharePoint 2007 Disaster Recovery Guide.
    Wednesday, March 31, 2010 3:19 PM