Visio 2010 - *HORRENDOUS* problem!! RRS feed

• Question

• I have a hard, consistently reproducible failure of Visio 2010 and I can't figure out what the problem is.

The symptom is that the application hangs almost immediately upon mousing over a shape when the mini toolbar pops up.  I can start out after a fresh reboot of the system, launch nothing but Visio, open up a brand new document, draw one trivial shape, start mousing over it to make the mini toolbar pop up, and within a few moments or minutes of repeatedly performing that activity, the application goes into 'not responding' status.  The application window itself turns a whited out translucent color.  The window can be minimized but the mini toolbar stays put wherever it was when the app died.  I have to use task manager to kill VISIO.EXE to clean up.

I am at my witt's end. I have a brand new Dell Optiplex 790, service tag # 4ZFRHQ1.  I'm running Windows 7 x64 and Microsoft Office 2010 Pro Plus, and Visio Premium 2010.  I have reinstalled all the applications from scratch and updated the whole system with Windows Update to a fully up to date status.  I have also tried killing off every possible non-essential process with task manager and it makes no differeance on the appearance or behavior of the problem.  I am unable to get any work done because I can't help but roll over shapes on documents as I work and cause the mini toolbar to be summoned.  After only some small number of occurrences, boom, dead.

I've also made sure to bring the system up to date with all drivers for all components, from Dell.

I am feeling about ready to blow away the entire system and start from scratch with Windows 7 x64 and go from there.  I am still hesitating though before I commit myself to all the additional time and effort.  Is there anyone here who might have any clue about what this is that's kicking my ass, or how to go about trying to debug it further?

Does anyone have ANY idea what I might try to get this figured out and fixed?  Right now I'm totally flummoxed.  I have used this same combination of software on at least two other systems in the past 12 months and I have not seen even an hint of this problem. 

Along those lines, when I try to close the application with it's red X in the upper right, Windows asks me if I want to restart the app or see more details about what it's problem is. Below is the info I get from that.  Searching the web with Google for any more clues hasn't helped me at all, and I haven't been able to find anyone else reporting an issue quote like this, which is pretty depressing.  I have no idea where the problem lies :(  Thanks for any assistance anyone might be able to give.  -John

Problem Event Name: AppHangB1

Application Name: VISIO.EXE

Application Version: 14.0.6106.5000

Application Timestamp: 4df49454

Hang Signature: 42cf

Hang Type: 0

OS Version: 6.1.7601.2.1.0.256.4

Locale ID: 1033

Additional Hang Signature 1: 42cfa2d16e505644c3ad5b9fb2466ebd

Additional Hang Signature 2: fbc3

Additional Hang Signature 3: fbc369b16de2673b9abe0026ee58e005

Additional Hang Signature 4: 42cf

Additional Hang Signature 5: 42cfa2d16e505644c3ad5b9fb2466ebd

Additional Hang Signature 6: fbc3

Additional Hang Signature 7: fbc369b16de2673b9abe0026ee58e005

Wednesday, November 9, 2011 11:23 PM

All replies

• Worth looking at the video hardware acceleration, see if it can be reduced.
    Any screen grabbers running, Adobe Acrobat can do some odd things.

-- Paul Herber, Sandrila Ltd. http://www.sandrila.co.uk/ Engineering and software shapes for Visio.
    Thursday, November 10, 2011 2:31 AM
  • Hi Paul, thanks for the reply.  I already spent some time looking hard at video as the possible source of the problem.  I tried the latest version of the drivers from both Dell and then ATI directly.  No difference.  I then tried disabling the video adapter in the Device manager.  That gave me a basic 640x480 VGA display mode.  That made no difference in the appearance of the problem.  The final piece of evidence that makes me think it's not video related it that when I RDP into the machine and try it that way, again, I still have the same exact problem.  My understanding is that an RDP session doesn't use the video hardware and driver at all.

The machine does have Acrobat Pro version 10.x on it.  The Adobe processes are among those that I killed off when performing that troubleshooting step of killing off all nonessential processes.  My next move may just end up being wiping out the entire operating system and starting over.  If I still have the problem after that, I may just take the machine up to the roof and give it flying lessons.

I'm still eager to hear any further ideas from everyone though! :)

Thanks again Paul.

-John

-JJ
    Thursday, November 10, 2011 3:06 AM
  • Try running Visio in safe mode (that is, hold "Ctrl" key down when you start visio). This will start Visio without add-ins. If this helps that you might need to check if you have an add-in installed which causes troubles.

One of the common issues with "Visio does not work on my new laptop" seems to be the Bluetooth Visio add-in. Do you have Bluetooth on your laptop? If you do then probably you have this add-in as well, just disable it.

-- Nikolay Belyh, http://unmanagedvisio.com
    Thursday, November 10, 2011 6:39 AM
  • Hi Nikolay,

I wish I could report success.  I tried safe mode and I still have the problem.  I don't have Bluetooth and this is a desktop machine, as well.  Thank you for sharing that information.  If I am able to learn anything more about this problem I will post it here.  :(

-JJ
    Thursday, November 10, 2011 2:19 PM
  • You want to hear another kick in the balls??  I can't even run Visio AT ALL when I boot Windows in safe mode!!!  When I try to launch it, it comes back with a message saying it can't verify the license for the application!!  Safe mode!!!!!!!!!!!!  When Microsoft screws things up, they screw things up big.  I am so disgusted right now.
    -JJ
    Thursday, November 10, 2011 2:32 PM
  • If it were my decision on a commercial basis I'd say either completely reinstall everything (assuming this can be done in a few hours) and if it works all well and good, else scrap it and get a new PC. What's your time worth?

-- Paul Herber, Sandrila Ltd. http://www.sandrila.co.uk/ Engineering and software shapes for Visio.
    Thursday, November 10, 2011 9:19 PM
  • I just got done wiping the system out completely, and reinstalling Windows 7 x64, Office and Visio.  I'm still having the problem so I'm forced to suspect it's something to do with the document.  I was previously able to reproduce the problem using a new document.  So far now though, I have not been able to get it to fail with one.  When I use the document I was working with in the first place, it's still failing within a few mouse strokes, pretty much.  I am going to start my document again from scratch.  I was using an inserted TIFF image as a background.  I'm going to see if I can come up with another file format that still gives me a clear enough image for what I'm trying to do.  Maybe Visio is choking in the TIFF.  I don't know.  At this point though I'm feeling like the more things change with computers and technology, the more they stay the same.  I'm been working with this stuff for more than twenty years and this kind of issue seems no different today than all the way back when I got into it all.  Sigh.

-JJ
    Thursday, November 10, 2011 9:30 PM
  • Try it without the TIFF file (assuming that's possible), or convert the TIFF to some other format. Try a PNG for pictures or WMF/EMF for clip art or similar.

Thursday, November 10, 2011 9:38 PM
  • Ok, the battle continues.  The problem is starting to look like it might be specific to the 64 bit version of Visio.  Our PC support guy and me tried out my document on a totally different machine of his that was also running Win 7 x64 and MS Office/Vision x64.  We were able to get the application to fail almost immediately, as previously described.  He then removed the 64 bit MS Office/Visio, loaded up the 32 bit version and now is unable to make the Visio failure occur.  I'm going to let him work with it a bit more before I dump my 64 bit Office/Visio and go down to the 32 bit code.  Assuming our results continue to hold, I guess now I'm just wondering how I'll ever know when the 64 bit code is fixed/cleaned up, short of reinstalling it once and a while to see if any future updates cover and repair the defect.  I'll update here as developments warrant.  I wonder how much success I'd have with trying to connect with a Microsoft support group and sharing this issue with them.  I would think a core dump and/or some debugging information could help them identify the cause of the problem?

-John

-JJ
    Friday, November 11, 2011 8:48 PM
  • Hi John -  We can try to reproduce the issue here and log it.  Using the info in this thread so far, I don't see the issue on my own system, which is fairly similar to yours, and has the same Visio version in 64-bit. 

One possible reason is that I'm not following the exact steps which you are using, so please share a more detailed set of steps to follow when you can.  Please include the specific Visio template that you use, if it always happens in a particular one.  If it happens in just the blank drawing template, let us know that as well. 

Another possible reason is something external, such as (believe it or not) printer drivers and video drivers.  If you have more than one printer defined in your system, please close Visio and set the other one as default printer, then launch Visio and test.  Similarly, try changing your desktop settings from whatever resolution you normally use to something fairly generic, like 1280 x 1024 or 1024 x 768, and test in these conditions. 

By the way - do you get prompted on killing the Visio instance to send the Error Report to Microsoft?  If you have done this, you can probably see the Windows Error Reporting event in the Event Viewer which logs the Fault Bucket for the uploaded info - that might prove helpful as well.

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. Regards, Barb Way MCTS,MCSE,MCDBA Microsoft Online Community Support
    • Marked as answer by Rex Zhang Wednesday, November 23, 2011 2:14 AM
    • Unmarked as answer by Barb [MSFT] Wednesday, November 30, 2011 8:55 PM
    Friday, November 18, 2011 10:42 PM
  • I have the exact same problem on my HP Laptop with Visio 2010 running Windows 7 SP1 (or just Windows 7).

And I also have a problems in Excell and Publisher on my XP box.  On my XP it crashes when it tries to render the page when you go to print or if your just editing something in the main window. I've probably sent at least 70 crash dumps to Microsoft so far. I've tried running in safe mode and turning off the bluetooth driver and turning off add-ins.

In 2010 Visio, it crashes randomly whenever you try to manipulate object and also does this in safe mode. I've tried all the usual, turn off add-ins, disable bluetooth, etc.  I have all but stopped using Visio now. Except when something is super simple and I have the patience to save after every single edit.

Tuesday, December 6, 2011 4:37 PM
  • Take a look here for the follow up on this problem: http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/office/forum/office_2010-visio/visio-64-bit-show-stopping-bug/508099ad-70c5-4ec9-abdd-ead18b3c4fe3 Summary: The Microsoft support person I worked with was able to reproduce the problem and entered it into their bug reporting system. My solution for now was to move back to using the x32 bit version of Offfice/Visio. No problems with that one. No drawbacks in terms of features or functions to using the x32 bit version either. x64 bit can be helpful in some situations with Excel, but not much else was mentioned in terms of that. At some point the Visio problem with the x64 bit version should end up fixed but there was no promises made as to when. I'm just glad for now that a workaround was found :) -John
    Tuesday, December 6, 2011 5:20 PM
  • By the way - One of the other work arounds I found when researching this is that it only occurs when AutoConnect is enabled.  If you don't need this feature for the diagrams causing the issue, you can disable the AutoConnect feature on the View tab, by unchecking "AutoConnect.

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. Regards, Barb Way MCTS,MCSE,MCDBA Microsoft Online Community Support
    Wednesday, December 21, 2011 5:25 PM
  • By the way - One of the other work arounds I found when researching this is that it only occurs when AutoConnect is enabled.  If you don't need this feature for the diagrams causing the issue, you can disable the AutoConnect feature on the View tab, by unchecking "AutoConnect.

Oh my god thank you!! This was the solution for me. Autoconnect was making it lag severely and sometime appcrash as well.
    Friday, August 9, 2013 11:12 PM