none
Is it possible to make the online-archive available offline? RRS feed

• Question

• Hi

I noticed that the archive mailbox can only be accessed when connected to MS Exchange. I would like my users to make use of this new feature, but I cannot justify it if the archive isn't available offline.

am I doing something wrong or isn't it possible?

Thanks

Thursday, April 14, 2011 11:59 AM

Answers

• Hi,

The whole idea of the archive mailbox is to keep your "online" mailbox with recent / important mail small and accessible on and offline. The archive mailbox is intend to store older / less important mail which is not neccessary to access immediately.

Think what will happen if you have a larger archive in outlook and you will cache it locally your offline file will grow big time and outlook will become slow again. One of the reasons to use a archive mailbox is to prevent the grow of offline files.

Regards Ronny
    -------------
    Visit my Blog or follow me on Twitter
    Thursday, April 14, 2011 2:54 PM

All replies

• Hi,

The whole idea of the archive mailbox is to keep your "online" mailbox with recent / important mail small and accessible on and offline. The archive mailbox is intend to store older / less important mail which is not neccessary to access immediately.

Think what will happen if you have a larger archive in outlook and you will cache it locally your offline file will grow big time and outlook will become slow again. One of the reasons to use a archive mailbox is to prevent the grow of offline files.

Regards Ronny
    -------------
    Visit my Blog or follow me on Twitter
    Thursday, April 14, 2011 2:54 PM
  • Hi

I noticed that the archive mailbox can only be accessed when connected to MS Exchange. I would like my users to make use of this new feature, but I cannot justify it if the archive isn't available offline.

am I doing something wrong or isn't it possible?

Thanks

Why wouldn't you just give them a larger mailbox quota in this case? 

Mike Crowley
    Check out My Blog!

Friday, April 15, 2011 4:10 AM
  • Hi Mike,

Giving a larger mailbox quota is not fixing the wider issue of have large outlook file sizes. Users should be managing there outlook more optimally. Hence IT administrators introducing archives, especially with the new on-line archive available with Exchange Server 2010.

Also capacity on the server and server performance. 

By default the on-line archive quota is 10GB, any user that requires more than the default needs to do a urgent/critical clean up.

Hope this helps;

Ravinder.

Ravinder Jamgotre

Thursday, February 7, 2013 1:54 PM
  • What about this:

https://www.lucid8.com/documentation/DSWebHelp/TRO/Accessing_Exchange_2010_Archive_Mailboxes.htm

This is third party SW.

Friday, September 20, 2019 1:13 PM