none
Why is solutions targeted to web applications are deprecated in 2013 RRS feed

• Question

• I wanted to understand the purpose of deprecation of solutions when deployment is targeted to a web application.Is there any alternative in add-in model.How does it help in leveraging the solutions to entire web application , when you are on premises.

Divya

Wednesday, May 10, 2017 3:39 AM

Answers

• Hi,

It looks like your solution was created for MOSS or WSS. This requires manual copy and paste (even though there is concept of XCOPY and batch files ) process and often you required to interact with SharePoint physical file system.

This approach has huge draw backs including there is no user roles such as site collection admin/farm admin, i mean we cannot delegate the role to user.

It requires IIS configuration/Web Config files changes based on your CAS and reset the GAC when you deploy it on server , recycling the app pool and SharePoint timer job related services on Server ,even though you target to specific web application.

To overcome all these problem,MS introduce the new deployment model with defined roles in SP2010 onwards.

As Devendra suggested, targeting your Solution to specific web application still supported but this will not anything on virtual folders of your server and SharePoint.

Please remember to click Mark as Answer on the answer if it helps you

Wednesday, May 10, 2017 8:31 AM

All replies

• Hi Divya,

Can you add more the solutions you are mentioned above. FARM solutions are still supported in SharePoint 2013 on-premises.

SharePoint School | Blog- http://www.sharepoint-journey.com

Wednesday, May 10, 2017 6:02 AM
  • I am asking about solutions that are targeted to web applications, which goes to the virtual bin directory of the web application.Let me know if it is still unclear.

Divya

Wednesday, May 10, 2017 6:56 AM
  • Hi,

It looks like your solution was created for MOSS or WSS. This requires manual copy and paste (even though there is concept of XCOPY and batch files ) process and often you required to interact with SharePoint physical file system.

This approach has huge draw backs including there is no user roles such as site collection admin/farm admin, i mean we cannot delegate the role to user.

It requires IIS configuration/Web Config files changes based on your CAS and reset the GAC when you deploy it on server , recycling the app pool and SharePoint timer job related services on Server ,even though you target to specific web application.

To overcome all these problem,MS introduce the new deployment model with defined roles in SP2010 onwards.

As Devendra suggested, targeting your Solution to specific web application still supported but this will not anything on virtual folders of your server and SharePoint.

Please remember to click Mark as Answer on the answer if it helps you

Wednesday, May 10, 2017 8:31 AM